The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Blue_71
Bloo

another truck followed me home(WARNING: LONG [but funny] POST)

well, jordon johnson and i have found a local junkyard going out of business. last time we went, I struck up a deal on a 93 k2500. the truck has no transmission or transfer case, but the interior is mostly complete. it does have a good running gear, a couple ok body parts, and the best part... factory mechanical injection vin F heavy duty 6.5 turbo diesel

getting the truck was an adventure though! it was sitting almost against a cedar tree at the bottem of a hill, right next to a sink-hole. it was also sitting on top of a log that was touching the frame. the guy who owns the junkyard had tried to get it out, broke a couple chains, and buried his rollback in the mud. when we got there, we tried to pull the k2500 out and it would not budge. we finally jacked the truck up enough to get a chain around the log and get that out of the way.

after getting the log out, there was no way to get the truck around the tree. luckily a guy showed up that was cutting firewood, so we hooked his truck and three chains to the tree and he cut it down for us. he then offered to use his truck to pull out the diesel, so we agreed (especially since i just finished putting a new piston in my truck, let him put wear and tear on his )

well, a couple tries later the truck is at the top of the hill.. we measure the front, and its two inches to wide to fit on the only trailer we had available. so, we go junk hunting and find 2 dodge rallys with tiny tires on them. we bolted them on and remeasured, and it is an exact fit from rail to rail, so we have NO room for error. by this time the guy who owns the junkyard has left, the guy cutting wood has left, and its just us, a stuborn k2500, a narrow trailer, and a mid 80s ford bronco with a full tank of bad gas. however, the ford runs, and we have permission to use it. we pull my truck and trailer in front of the k2500 and get backed straight to the front of the k2500. we then hook the ford up to the 2500, and start pulling. it took a couple times repositioning the ford and the chain, but the truck goes on the trailer pretty much pain free

so now we're worn out. so we go drive around the junkyard in the ford a little to see what else we can find, and clear out the engine from lugging it on bad gas. fast forward a while, and we get back to the truck. the hill is so muddy, my truck cant back up the hill with the added weight, and i cant go forward because i cant turn sharp enough to miss the hole or the car in front of me. we both had a dumb moment, and did not boom the truck down yet. i mean, the wheels rubbed the rails all the way down right?

we then use the chain, hook to the ford, hook to the back of the trailer, and jordon kept tension on me to help me back up the hill.... the trailer gets on level ground, i hit my brakes.. the 2500 decides to fly off the back of the trailer, which just happens to have just enough chain to fit the 2500 between the trailer and the ford... i run out of my truck, and jordon is sitting there with a dumbfounded look on his face, with the tires on the bronco just sitting there turning, diggin holes in the mud

after a few minutes of utter disbelief, we call the junkyard owner... he is still a hour away, and his tractor is locked up in the garage.. we decided to try getting the truck on the trailer one more time, so we reposition, and start pulling it on with the bronco again.. it goes on perfect all the way untill the back tire gets to the top of the ramps... its right at an inch to far to the right... so we hook the 2500 to the trailer so it doesnt come off again, and move the ford to pull it over... jordon gets it in position, then shuts it off so we can decide where to hook to in order to pull the truck over. we get the chain all hooked up, and the ford wont start...

this is just crazy!! the ford has started great all day, and now the starter or the battery has just completly died. after about 10 minutes of trying to get it started, the junkyard owner shows up... finally!!! we give him the whole run down, including the now none-running ford.. he then informs us we can use his 91 k1500 suburban, which has also been sitting there all day :doh:

after getting permission to use the suburban, a quick tug to the left, and one more pull forward, the 2500 is FINALLY back on the trailer (and boomed down)for the ride home

sorry for sparsness of pics, neither of us were in much of a picture mood
Attached Images

1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: another truck followed me home(WARNING: LONG [but funny] POST)

Yet another parts/truck gathering fiasco.Ain`t it fun?The powers that be rarely let you just "pick up" a vehicle it seems.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

You poor dude! At least you finally got it!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
dammitmitchell
the pollock

all u needed was a 6 pack and then it wold definatley be a hill billy moment

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Is the driver side door handle any good?Mine`s all busted up from when my son had the truck.It bugs me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Blue_71
Bloo

yeah I do have to agree, the more I think back on it, the more hillbilly it sounds

for some reason that diesel looks tiny behind my k20.. maybe its the tiny dodge tires, or the fact its on such a small trailer

tim, i *think* the driver door handle is good, i'll have to check. I know one of them is busted but i dont remember which one
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

As it should be - a classic pulling home a newer truck :-)

Seems I always have problems when I got get a truck too - glad I'm not alone!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote