The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2002, 09:06 PM   #1
85Silverado

Loose Steering

What causes sloppy/loose steering.....bad tie rods or centerlink...pitman arm....or could it be the box itself?

Thanks for any info
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:46 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

steering

it can be either. What you need to do is to check from underneath if there is play in any of the steering components
If the tie rods and centerlink and all check out ok it could very well be the steering box. If my memory serves correct there is an adjustment on the boxes where ya have to loosen up a nut and then turn the hex nut with an allen wrench, and this is ontop of the box for the adjustment.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 PM   #3
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Check the post by low 84 about front end problems, he has the same problem.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
85Silverado

Checked out his thread....I don't have any shimmy or shake but I have play at the steering wheel.

Also...can anyone confirm the adjustment on the steering box and how to do it...like which way to turn the hex nut?

Thanks

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:15 PM   #5
low 84

in my case with the shake in the front end the idler arm was bad. i replaced it and it fixed the problem as well as tightening up the steering some. but i still have play in the steering thats from the box. jack the front end up and have some one shake each wheel side to side and up and down while you are looking at the steering linkage this could help you identify any of the steering components that are bad, i.e. idler arm, tie rods, ect. if everything looks and feels tight then you play is probly in the steering box itself. as for adjusting them i never done it so i can't help you there. i do know that if there is a ton of play in the box you won't be able to adjust it to like new firmness

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote