The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
greygoose

Internal struggle

I am having a struggle within myself about what to do with my 68 anniversary.I got this truck only from wanting one for a long time and I had certain plans for it and how I wanted to fix it up.I came to this board to looking for ideas and to learn the overall basic of these trucks.And when I finally showed the truck,that I want to fix up,I found out that it's an 68 anniversary.So here is my struggle,after all these years of wanting a c10 and knowing how I wanted to fix it up,do I do it to this truck?Or do I just restore the truck,knowing in my heart that this in not what I wanted the truck for or how I wanted it to look.I am torn because through you guys I have learned that I have something special(so to speak) in the c10 world.So what do I do guys? PLEASE, I WELCOME ALL OPINIONS

Last edited by greygoose; 02-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Internal struggle

in my opinion... and that's all it is... MY opinion...
if your truck is a survivor, or in real nice shape, or, if it is a loaded example... then it would be a good idea to try and preserve it... or sell it to someone who would preserve it.
If it is rouch, or not complete... could never be restored properly.... then do what ever you want.

However, in the end of it all, it's your truck. Do what makes YOU happy. We aren't talking COPO camaros here.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I say do what YOU want with it. I got flack for cutting up a 67 stepside fender for a fuel door. I didn't care. It was suggested I buy another fender to cut up and sell my 67 fender, but that's a pain in the ass and I already had the fender

With THAT said...... if you don't care about your truck being original, all a person really needs to make a 68 look like a 50th that can't be reproduce easily with paint, etc is the gold colored interior pieces. You can become a subscribing member and sell off the pieces to someone who needs them or who wants to make a 50th?

With THAT said... I think 50th's look AWESOME! I may try to "copy one" someday
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

If it is fully loaded or a good survivor, I'd restore it. If it is low option or not really a survivor then I would do whatever I want with it.

This is all MY opinion.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

I'm not a collector of the 50th's only because I can't afford to be.
Those trucks, stock, will surely appreciate way faster than common
and molested trucks.
I, personally, would try to find a way to barn that one and look for
a builder to quench your thirst for a hotrod...or sell to a home that
cares for it's history.

Just ask Stllookn how fanatical a 50th owner can be!!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
in my opinion... and that's all it is... MY opinion...
if your truck is a survivor, or in real nice shape, or, if it is a loaded example... then it would be a good idea to try and preserve it... or sell it to someone who would preserve it.
If it is rouch, or not complete... could never be restored properly.... then do what ever you want.

However, in the end of it all, it's your truck. Do what makes YOU happy. We aren't talking COPO camaros here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I say do what YOU want with it. I got flack for cutting up a 67 stepside fender for a fuel door. I didn't care. It was suggested I buy another fender to cut up and sell my 67 fender, but that's a pain in the ass and I already had the fender

With THAT said...... if you don't care about your truck being original, all a person really needs to make a 68 look like a 50th that can't be reproduce easily with paint, etc is the gold colored interior pieces. You can become a subscribing member and sell off the pieces to someone who needs them or who wants to make a 50th?

With THAT said... I think 50th's look AWESOME! I may try to "copy one" someday
Good points.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Tell us what you had in mind for a C/10 and go from there.Maybe you can be happy with a mix of the two.A hot rodded 50th could be put back to stock.But,if a certain color was a big part of your vision...let`s see this truck.Got pics?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
greygoose

It's in good shape with low options,a lot of surface rust.I have to put in new rocker panels on both sides and a outer cab ext on drivers side.The inside is in good shape,but needs seats redone.The bed will differently have to be sand blasted.Over all it is a very solid good running truck.My plans were to lower it with coils and shocks and put a set of 20's on it.The gold color I am not to crazy about,I wanted it black.The best example I can give you guys on how I wanted it to look,is to look at the one that Poterbuilt has done or is doing in this thread 67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=314716 I like that look without the air ride stuff ,just wanted to put it on some 20's and lower it as far as would go with being able to make turns.So I guess my other big thing would be the color.Do you guys know of any that look similar to what I have in mind with the gold and white lowered on 20's,when maybe I can wrap my head around the colors.Here is how it look it's not in bad shape at all as far as I can see,but then again I haven't took it apart either.Here are some pics sorry not that good with a camera,I'll take more in the future

Last edited by special-K; 02-20-2009 at 12:24 PM.
greygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
big_al_71

My opinion is to build what you have in your head.
What do you have in mind as far as what your ideal truck is?
Reason I ask there are many buckets out there for really cheap money so you can buy one build a hot rod or whatever you are thinking about and preserve the 50th to its orginal glory and have the best of both worlds.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Skirkpat

I would put it up for sale and try to make a few extra bucks from someone who thinks the heritage is worth more, it obviously is not what you want, if you can turn a profit, you might be able to buy a nicer starting point, everyone wins. In the last 2 years I have sold off alot of great cars, a 1969 SS Chevelle, 71 Convertible Chevelle, (2) 79 TA's (2) 67 Mustangs. They meant more ($) to others than me. I don't miss them because I replaced them with something new that I love, My Suburban. Most people who I tell this to think I am crazy, but it took a while while to realize what other people think about me is irrelavant , I don't want cars I am afraid to drive, I want something unique, and personal. I do not envy guys with 10 cars in a garage, that they collect, I have done that it really is not much fun. Driving them and working on them is what makes it fun for me.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Quote:
Just ask Stllookn how fanatical a 50th owner can be!!
I didn't know it showed!!!!!!!

Seriously...I only have three of them...one is going to be a 100 pt. restoration because I have all the papers, the other is going to be a stock body with all the upgrades and comforts because I am going to use it to haul a camper every weekend and the last one is going to Taiiwan or China because it is a rusted out hulk...I have no regrets scrapping one of these trucks when it is due. It just makes the remaining trucks more valuable!

Do what you want with it and don't feel guilty...there are plenty of good trucks still left to restore!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 02-20-2009 at 12:15 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
dhaymaker

Over the years I've been working on old cars and trucks, I think I've found the most pleasure from doing what I wanted to do! Too many things we do in this life are governed by someone else's rules. With my trucks, my motorcycles, or my various toys, it's nice to be able to do what I want. Sure, I'm aware of certain "special" trucks or whatever, but when it's mine I'm more inclinded to do what I want and I'm more likely to enjoy the results. That's my suggestion to you! I don't know about your age, experience, or whatever, but if you think you are going to look back on it and have some regrets, sell the truck and look for one you can have fun with!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

The color looks a million times better when fresh.Black is black and makes for a wicked look.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The color looks a million times better when fresh.Black is black and makes for a wicked look.

these pics look NICE!!! Your truck would look good sittin like this with fresh gold on white like this one And you have the gold options too!! I say make your 50 th look like this. Besides like everyone is saying, its your truck, and there is others out there to restore, besides if your biggest mod is going to be lowering then the next owner(if there is one) can put stock suspension in it no problem,
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I tried to sell my extremely rare 68 K20 50th for 300 bucks and had no takers...The fact that there is no body, box, interior, or drive train might have something to do with it =)

The only thing I would do if you aren't going to restore it is maybe sell off any of the interior that's usable to someone that is trying to restore one.

I wouldnt worry about the model...fix it how you have it pictured in your head.

(I was being sarcastic about the extremely rare thing)

Last edited by CG; 02-20-2009 at 02:08 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Unless you C notch it. Then you would have to do a frame swap

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

It is very easy for us to tell you what to do to your truck. It also doesn't cost us a dime for you to work on your truck. Kinda like, no job is too hard for someone else to do. Based on what I see in the pix, I say you should do what you want and make it what you want it to be. I say that because, after almost 10 years, my truck is all over town, waiting on "someone" else to do something to it that I can't do. If you have the talent and you have the $$$, there's no time like now. As you get older, you'll wish you had. Until you do get older, you may not fully grasp the gravity of the bucket list. At 61, I'm getting a better feel for it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #18
theyammieguy
accepting donations

Do it the way you want it. Its just a truck not some rare artifact.

See my builds here>http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n238/nickrp_2006/

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
David Crockett
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Built from parts and painted like a 50th awhile back,just for comparison:

Tim

Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
metalman1968

Nice pics. Nice trucks. Would be a tough call for me as well. But I like to cut things up.
metalman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
greygoose

Thanks guys for your honest opinions and after thinking about it for awhile and after seeing special-k's truck,which before I saw it ,I didn't it would work with what I wanted to do.But now that I have seen his truck I think I can be happy with something similar.So again thanks guys for all your help.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Here's a few 50th's with aftermarket wheels and dropped. The upkeep on the gold and white would much easier than black, but black looks gorgeous on these trucks.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #23
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyammieguy View Post
Do it the way you want it. Its just a truck not some rare artifact.
I hate this mentality. Everybody says its "nothing special" or "it's a not Yenko" and " its just a truck." The same thing used to be said about Camaros, Chevelles and GTO's and look at what they are worth now. These trucks are climbing rising in value year by year, and fine examples already bring more money than anybody thought was ever possible. Go tell someone that has paid Jerry Brown to restore to their truck that "its just a truck". Some of Jerry's restos cost more than a lot of people's house!

This is not a slam or by no means anything personal against you yammieguy, because tons of people think this way. I'm just saying that for some of us, these trucks are "it". If I hit the lottery and win $200 million, I am still going have these trucks - (in fact, I whole lot more of them!) As crazy as it sounds when I go to car show or big meet, I get more excited about seeing a super fine example of one these over a stack of Camaros or Chevelles or Vettes - not that I don't love the cars. These are just more than "just a truck" to me. They are my favorite vehicle, bar none.

My trucks

Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Here's mine no 20's but it has been modified !!! I say do what you want with it It's Yours !!! Bob
Attached Images

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 68327 View Post
Here's mine no 20's but it has been modified !!! I say do what you want with it It's Yours !!! Bob
I started to post your truck, but I figgered you'd see this and chime in! Seeing them done like your's and the ones above would make it hard for me to change the color if I had a 50th. It actually makes me want to clone one!!

My trucks