The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
60ratrod
yes, i do

turn signals

i was wondering, on an 73-80 where do the turn signals get their power from?? is it a wire in the column harness or from the fuse block?? i'm looking at a schmatic that i printed off and i'm trying to figure out which wire does what. by the looks of it, the purple wire going to the turn signal column harness is the power for the turn signals. also, how does the brake light switch wire(white wire) tie into the system?? i'm attempting to rig the turn signals off of a on-off-on toggle switch. the reason why i'm wanting to run the turn signals off a toggle is i'm going to replace the column, which is just about shot, and it also isn't the proper column for this truck and i plan on replacing it with the proper column for this truck.

Last edited by 60ratrod; 02-20-2009 at 03:29 PM.
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: turn signals

Rat: Your opening a real can of worms here. If you want the inside of the truck to look like an F16 this will do it. Brake lites run thru the signal light switch. When you signal the switch turns the brake lites off to that side and leave them on to the other. The signal lights get thier power thru the flasher unit. The 4 way flashers get thier power thru the 4 way flasher unit and when activated, feed both sides at once. Your going to be bussier than a 1 armed paper hanger every time you try to signal. I think 3 double throw double pole switches will do it. Not worth the effort, use hand signals until you get the right colunm. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
60ratrod
yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Rat: Your opening a real can of worms here. If you want the inside of the truck to look like an F16 this will do it.
well i do just happen to be an ordnance technician on naval aircraft
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Good Thread !!!
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Rat: Well God bless you and all the fine folks who are putting it on the line for the rest of us. This is from a Nam vet and I won't rant about the respect we didn't get. Honestly, get the right colunm and go from there. Your going to have to do serious hacking in to make it work with switches and then un hacking to put a new colunm in. Make sense to you? I don't want to see you rip your hair out twice, LOL. Take care and get home safe. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote