The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
scotty101

Door panel removal?

I need help removing the inside door panels and the manual window crank handles. I can not seem to figure out what i am missing to get the door panel lose and the handle i am just not sure how to do it. Is a special tool needed?
This is on a 1987. Also i am looking at removing the outside door trim and chrome plating. What are the best methods to do this with? Thanks
scotty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Door panel removal?

scotty,

There are tools for removing window cranks and panels. I have used a paper clip straightened with a small hook on one end held with pliers, Push the door panel in at the crank and you will see the retainer clip. Hook the clip with the straightened paper clip and pull the clip from the handle, Be careful cause this clip can fly out getting lost.

There are a couple screws holding the arm rest in place, Remove them and slide a putty knife between the door and panel prying out. Work your way around the panel and this will pull the plastic clips from the door. With the window down slide the panel up-ward to un-hook it from the top of the door.

Replacement window crank and door panel clips can be found at your local chain auto parts stores in the "Help" section should you loose or damage any.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 02-22-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
boatpuller

that clip removal tool can be found in the "help" section to that rob's talking about.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Prong

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
that clip removal tool can be found in the "help" section to that rob's talking about.
For about $4. A useful tool for those who like to tinker around.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
badblu97
Double 6's

The window crank clips are a not nice to get off, and they are called (as my father taught) "Jesus clips" because they fly off and you say "Jesus!" The tool is a HUGE help. Spend the dough and keep the tool forever! Go easy and good luck!

1966 LWB Custom Cab (sold)
1982 Short Fleet (under the knife)
1998 S10 2wd Fleet
2007 Chevy Silverado Crew
2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Last edited by badblu97; 02-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
RAT TRK

OK what am I missing... I have removed lots of door handles and I have the "tool". But when I push in the door panel to try to see the clip on my '73 C10, I don't see it!?! Is there any other method of crank retainer that was used?
RAT TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
hitcher

for years ive been struggling with door cranks when i even knew there was a tool for the job . it was just one of those things i never got round to buy . BUY one ,you will use it over and over again , trust me .
Attached Images

hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

with the window down it might be easier to see the clip,i have a special bent screwdriver for them
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT TRK View Post
OK what am I missing... I have removed lots of door handles and I have the "tool". But when I push in the door panel to try to see the clip on my '73 C10, I don't see it!?! Is there any other method of crank retainer that was used?
Nope, they were only held on one way.

What hasn't been mentioned is there is a thick foam cushion and a black plastic bushing that sit between the door metal and door panel, on the window crank shaft. When pushing in the door panel, look for the thin plastic bushing, often times it will hide the clip. If you still can't see the clip, crank the window slightly, it may be there, just hard to see based on the position of the shaft it is on.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote