The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
juliejacobs

1971 c20 longhorn hubcaps

the hubcaps are silver (chrome?? stainless steel??), with blue bowtie in center, and black paint in 'Cog" design. They're not in great shape, and I can't find any for sale. Is there somewhere that I can get the old ones restored (dents taken out, repainted) by a reputable person? Or should I keep looking, ebay, junk yards? Thanks
juliejacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: 1971 c20 longhorn hubcaps

Get them restored. They are difficult to find. I am going to be restoring a set very soon myself. I had a "practice" hubcap that was all beat up, and I must say, it turned out pretty good!

Last edited by leddzepp; 02-24-2009 at 02:55 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Julie, there was a post here a year or two ago, someone spend some seriouse money, but had his straightened out and polished up. TThey were breathtaking... and it takes a lot for me to say something that sounds so... well, gay.
With the search function down for a while, we can only hope that the poster sees this, or someone who remembers it and saved it to there favorites.
You can brouse on the parts board here, they do come up from time to time, but perfect ones will be a bit spendy, and far and few between.
To be 100% correct, you want the ones with the blue bow tie like you described. The yellow bow tie caps are for 73 - 76 or so, and are regularly pawned off as 69 - 72 pieces. The correct ones are in fact stainless, as are some of the later ones, but they ended up going to chrome later on.
You'll want to study the photos too, the number of recesed areas, the 1/2 ton ones look close, but you can ID them in a photo if you pay attention to that detail.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 02-24-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Down south truckin

It was me that had a couple sets straightened and polished for $50 each cap and they were practically dent free to start with. you would still need to have them painted in the bowtie,surround and cog. I would suggest finding a nice set of the later model ones because most of the blue centers were chrome plated brass and they tend to split where they fit around the humps on the wheel. I have however seen a very few blue bowtie ones that were stainless like the newer ones. I was working on getting some vinyl decals made for mine instead of painting them but like alot of my projects never got them going,Gm has copyright stuff on the bowties so it may be tough to get them made.Here are some pictures of the first two that I had polished.
Attached Images

Down south truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Down south... I am glad you found this!
Chrome plated brass.... wow. Never heard of that.
I agree with you.... stainless would be better.
Those do look totally sweet.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
juliejacobs

Thanks guys for the quick response and great info. The caps you restored are truely breath taking. OK, stainless steel, better to restore cause I probably won't find them else where, and I know about the recessed areas. Thanks.

I think it's hubcap.com in Calif who will do dents removal, buff, and paint for $75 each. Ouch. I'll keep you posted
Thanks again, I'll try to get pics up this weekend.
juliejacobs is offline   Reply With Quote