The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
gonline71

All lights working except brake lights - I know this has been covered before....but

Before I begin, let me assure you all that I have searched/read/re-read every freaking post even remotely related to issues with brake lights to no avail. All my lights are working as expected except the brake lights.

I have confirmed the orange wire and the brake light switch has contant power.

I have confirmed the white has power when the brake pedal is depressed.

I have added "battery size" ground straps to the recommended locations.

I have started to feel like a complete idiot. I was able to rebuild the vent windows within an hour, but I cannot seem to get my brake lights working.

I am to the point of praying that one of you gurus can help.

Where would the best place be to check that beyond the brake light switch, the white wire is still carrying power? In the turn signal switch or within the rear wiring harness?

Thanks in advance
gonline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: All lights working except brake lights - I know this has been covered before....b

Since you looked it over and it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on it all, I'll assume your turn signals both work, and the fuse for the brake lights (parking lights on same circuit) is good.

Have someone looking at the brake lights, as you sit in the cab with your foot on the brake pedal, as you gently move the turn signal lever around. Lift it a little, push it down a little, even push forward and pull back towards you.
GENTLY.
Your assistant will probably yell at one point that they are on, or that they came on for a moment.
Since you know you have power through the brake light switch, and your turn signals work, which not only use the same part of the bulb, but the same wires, then the turn signal switch is the only option that is left.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
gonline71

Re: All lights working except brake lights - I know this has been covered before....b

First off, thank you for the quick reply. Now i will have to convince me 5 year old to stand in near the back of the truck and holler if they go on. I will post my findings later.

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

hope that's all it is.
Not that a turn signal is real easy or real cheap.... but it's better than troubleshooting past this point though!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
gonline71

Well I was able to coax her into the garage and she says on her way out, "I know it's not going to work"....I had to laugh....she was right. I am going to take the steering wheel off and take a peek at the innerds. Is it common to have rear running lights and rear blinkers, but no brake lights?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

no... not very common at all. Now you need to troubleshoot the one section not tested... between the brake light switch, to the turn signal switch.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
vectorit
What?

I feel your pain...
I am still dealing with some electrical gremlins, and yours was one of mine as well. I did fix it, and it was ground related.

If the truck you are working on, is the one in your avatar. Then my fix may be of help to you.

My burb was completely disassembled, and put back together after everything was painted. So, getting back to the brake lights.

In my case I was able to fix them by making sure there was a good ground between the brake light housing and the body, since mounting tabs were only mounted to painted sections. I removed a tiny section of paint where the tabs touched, then the lights started to work but not 100 percent of the time.
I later found that the sockets the bulbs twisted into had corrosion, being that they were the originals and had been sitting for a long time.
I took a brass 20 gauge shotgun bore brush, and the one section of cleaning rod it screws into and chucked it into my drill. Then ran the brush through the sockets, and they cleaned up very well to a nice clean connection.

After all that the tail lights worked.

Hope that helps a little bit.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
gonline71

I think I will definitely give that a try first instead of digging into my steering column. To test it, I will probably just make a quick ground strap and use that first. I will post back when/if I get it fixed. thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

remember to have all power OFF at the tail lights.
Sounds obviouse... but ...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
gonline71

Longhorn Man,

I was able to get the brake lights working. It was a new turn signal switch and wouldn't you know the wire for the brake lights had come loose. I reattached and the brake lights are working fine. However, a small piece of thin sheet metal fell out. Approximated dimensions 2 in L x 1/4" H....has a slight bend in the middle. Any idea where it goes?

Anyway, I put the switch back together....brake lights still work, hazards still works....now only one side of my blinkers are working. I will take another look tonight.

Anyway, thanks again.