The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
pumpgas

How to assemble a 69-70' grill

Ok I have been looking at the grill kit from LMC for about a hour I got the outside brackets on but can not for the life of me figure out how the rest of it goes together with the remaining parts. I have 2 rivets left 9 tapered bolts 8 plastic square inserts and 8 screws for the inserts. None of these parts seem like they will work for putting the inner grill back onto the outer or even the marker lights. Please if you know how this is supposed to be I need some help.
69' Chevy short step carbed 6.0 w/400th trans. Completed w/325 miles on it
pumpgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
pumpgas

Re: How to assemble a 69-70' grill

Ok so Im the only person putten together a 69-70' grill? Why is this not working out with this kit from LMC I just can't grasp how these parts are supposed to put this grill together.

Oh BTW I have the Assembly Instructions as well and none of the hardware in this "kit" seems to be even close to what GM used.
69' Chevy short step carbed 6.0 w/400th trans. Completed w/325 miles on it

Last edited by pumpgas; 02-25-2009 at 12:22 AM.
pumpgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
WannaBe68

ttt - I have the same question/s

Thanks!
WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Richard

Assuming you installed the top and bottom rivets into the steel mounting brackets. There are also two that go through the face of grill above headlights. Some kits come with black rivets for those locations. Your grill insert should have 12 mounting locations I believe. The white plastic pieces push through the grill insert into the grill surround, the the screw is installed to expand and fasten them. Some filing of the holes may make them easier to install. Just don't go to big. The bolts are to attach the entire grill assembly to the truck. Both sides and some models have an attachment to the center brace under the hood latch.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
un4gvn!

Does your plastic inner grille line up with all the holes on the metal outer grille? I bought one of the Chinese outer grilles for my nos inner grille. The holes and shape of the grille wouldn't work. I got rid of the crappy outer grille for a big lost in money. I found a used oem grille that needs rechromed or aluminized or what ever they did to them, but it's straight as an arrow. No dents.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
WannaBe68

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Does your plastic inner grille line up with all the holes on the metal outer grille? I bought one of the Chinese outer grilles for my nos inner grille. The holes and shape of the grille wouldn't work.....
Exactly what I am dealing with - the new outer grill came in a box marke GM replacement parts, but I'm not sure "GM" had anything to do with making this piece!
I was able to get the vertical supports riveted on both sides, but no matter what I do to tweak this or that I can not get the holes to line up with the original inner grill or the blinker housings. Maddening actually.
The people at the place I bought it are great and asked me to bring it in to see what they can do...if no luck maybe a store credit minus a restocking fee. We'll see...

The hardware "kit" is a bit of a headscratcher too.
Do the plastic pop-in nuts pop into the square holes in the aluminum frame putting them between the aluminum frame and the plastic inner section mounts?
And the flanged head screws that come in the kit for those plastic pop-in nuts are literally just barely big enough to not go through the rectangle holes in the plastic inner section mounting flanges. I can move things around and one or two will go through. Is there something else to keep them from going through or do I need to add an addition larger washer on each screw?
Thanks!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
WannaBe68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Assuming you installed the top and bottom rivets into the steel mounting brackets. There are also two that go through the face of grill above headlights. Some kits come with black rivets for those locations. Your grill insert should have 12 mounting locations I believe. The white plastic pieces push through the grill insert into the grill surround, the the screw is installed to expand and fasten them. Some filing of the holes may make them easier to install. Just don't go to big. The bolts are to attach the entire grill assembly to the truck. Both sides and some models have an attachment to the center brace under the hood latch.
Just noticed you answered my question about the plastic pop-in nuts!

So, they are pushed through the plastic rectangle and then popped into the aluminum frame...then you screw the flanged head screws into the plastic nut - got it!
That solves that mystery! Now I just need to find that magic sauce to get all of the holes to line up.
Thanks!