The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
D13

Contemplating rear suspension swap - Explorer or C4?

The search button is broke so I'll have to ask.

I have too much time to think (weather stinks here in MI) and decided I would like to build a different 84 GMC. I commute 70+ miles per day, everything from highway to dirt here in beautiful potholed MI (hint - my dirt road is one of the smoother roads I drive on). The general description of my driving style is "little old lady". I don't have any interest in bags, I like my truck to ride high (I grew up on 3/4 tons, if you ever 'laid frame' it took a dozer to get you out and you better be able to swim to the shore first). I like a reasonably firm ride and decent handling. I have a fleet of trucks so this one would not be my tow and haul truck, and most likely not my drag truck.

Locally I have found an Explorer rear 8.8 w/posi, disc, and probably 3.73. Also a complete C4 rear, hub to hub with brakes, unknown ratio, probably not posi, for roughly the same price.

From what I have read the Explorer rear would be an easy swap, get me discs and posi. The question is, has anyone swapped a C4 rear end into our trucks, and how did you like it? It would seem that if I put it in my 1/2 ton with the L6-250 that the weight of the truck would be similar to the Vette, although the bias would be off a bit. Although there is a fiberglass front clip on CL.....

Would appreciate your insights.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: Contemplating rear suspension swap - Explorer or C4?

I believe Porter Built makes a C-4 kit for square bodys as well as 67-72s

That would prolly be the easiest way

As for which one to use, I would be interested to know how much aluminum parts are on the explorer rear, cuz the vette has a lot of it & for the roads you are describing I dont know if I would want to punish the vette rear that much & risk breaking something

After all, we are talking about two different animals when it comes to these rears, one from a car, the other from a SUV & putting them in a truck makes me think whichever one is stronger would be better

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 02-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
custom63

Re: Contemplating rear suspension swap - Explorer or C4?

I have heard of the explorer switch too. Seems like it would be a good set up. Has anyone on here used one? Or know more about the swap. I am thinking about doing it on my 63 SWB.
custom63 is offline   Reply With Quote