The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
aboz

'63 Saginaw speedo trouble

I can't get the speedometer to work on my '63 Chevy stepside. I started with the simplest step by replacing the cable...no go. I tried three different size plastic driven gears before noticing the drive gear's threads were nearly rusted away. I then rebuilt the 3 speed Saginaw myself and replaced the steel drive gear but still can't get it to work. I then removed and the speedometer, tore it down to check for any worn or broken parts and put it back together...an occasional bouncing speedo needle, then nothing! The only thing I can figure is when I slid the heated drive gear back onto the shaft exactly where it was before, the placement was slightly incorrect to begin with although I have disconnected the cable from the speedometer and watched it spin as I drive. Can anyone offer me any advise?
aboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: '63 Saginaw speedo trouble

Remove the cable from the tranny and insert the square cable end in you drill chuck and pull the trigger. If the needle jumps, the problem is in your tranny gear drive. If it doesn't jump, the problem may be in the cable or the speedo.

Put your rig on jack stands and turn the rear wheels with the motor running and the truck in gear at idle. Look at the speedo end of the cable to see if the drive is spinning. If it is the gear drive at the tranny and the cable is good. If it is not spinning, the cable or tranny gear drive is the problem.

I hope these trouble-shooting ideas will help you figure out the issues and keep us posted on your progress.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
orange66fleet
Lowered in Cleveland

Re: '63 Saginaw speedo trouble

My speedo did not work in my truck and I replaced the cable and did the drill trick and found that my plastic gear in the trans is bad. The gear threads are all gone and it moves on the shaft up and down. Still not fixed and I do not know how to fix the gear inside the trans. Maybe the gear inside the trans is in the wrong spot or it moved, I would do the drill trick too. Good Luck.
orange66fleet is offline   Reply With Quote