The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Question Paintless Dent Repair, Anyone??

I have original paint on my truck and want to keep it that way. one because I like the fact that it's original, two because I don't have the dough to get it painted. mainly because I don't have the dough, but I digress.

so has anyone ever used paintless dent repair to massage out small dents in thier older 67-72 sheet metal? I know that the process works well on newer metal since it's so thin and is somewhat elastic , but can it still be used on thicker sheet metal?

the dents on my truck are well within the limits of repair on a newer vehicle.

any thoughts good or bad?

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: Paintless Dent Repair, Anyone??

I have no idea about how it would work on older sheetmetal Doug, but I wish you luck with it!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Call dent wizzard or one of them.
They may tell you to leave them alone right over the phone, or maybe they'll wait till they look at the truck to tell you they can't do it. Just by looking at the tools they use, I doubt they can help you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I just restored a trailer for my pastor and he had a bunch of dents on the fenders. I grabbed a mallet and a hammer. Hammer on the inside and mallet on the out side. Hold the hammer on the dent then tap it with the mallet like you are hammering in a finish nail. Or you could just spend $40 and get the hammer and dolly set from Eastwood and put tape on the hammer so it doesn't scratch the paint. Just remember, patience ,patience, patience. Don't be in a hurry, I got in a hurry and made a bigger dent because I wasn't being my normal meticulous self and had to fix 2 dents instead of one. Just my 2 cents.

PS - If you try to get out a big dent it could push the paint together and it will flake off.

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 03-01-2009 at 12:22 PM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Shane
Account Suspended

I have used it on numerous occasions to repair hail damage. Here in tornado alley we get hail on a fairly regular basis and a lot of the insurance companies down this way will waive the deductible if you use one of these services as opposed to traditional body shop repairs. The guy doing the removing is the secret to it ... find a good "ding beater" and you will NOT be able to tell there was ever a ding. If you know someone at a local new car dealership ask them who does theirs for them. The use these guys quite a bit to remove dings from trade-ins as well as new cars that get dinged-up in transport.

I have a friend who has been in the business for approx. 12-15 years and has done very well at it. Let me know of any particular questions you might have and I'll run it by him.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

We has a Mercedes rental while my GF's was in the shop. Tree branch fell on the car during a wind storm put a dent in the rental. DOH. Had a paintless dent guy pop it out, saved us some bigtime $$$. I'd call and see what they have to say.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
truckpoorpackrat

I'm sure you can. The only problem is when the dent is on a crease or body line. Just make sure you find someone good. SEEN A LOT OF WANT TO BE'S. Guys from DENTSMART some of the best. They specialize in PDR hail repair. Some pictures would help.
truckpoorpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
snaus32

Wish I were closer I am a 5 star master technition for Dentwizard in NY. These trucks are repairable by a good tech. If you go to www.dentwizard.com you can find locations closest to you. I would request a 4-star master tech or above for your truck. The skill level of a 4-5 star is the highest level in the company. Good Luck!
snaus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Hook'em

I had the hood of my truck done following a hail storm. Looks great. There are a couple dings on the bed rails that could not be done and the roof is harder than the hood.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
chipflyer

We used to have a guy around here that did it, I saw him take a dent out of a motorcycle tank and I wouldn't have believed there was ever a big dent in it if I hadn't seen it first. That tank was at least as thick as our old truck sheet metal, so I would think that yes, someone with skills could fix your problem, call some car dealers and ask them who they use. The guy in Topeka was well known by all the new and used car places.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
c10addict

Being in the car business I have used many Paintless dent guys... Some guys are way better than others.... If the first guy you take it to sez no try another.... I had a dent in the side of a 72 bed... Guy told me the metal is thick and he can do it but it wouldn't be perfect... It came out pretty darn good and is much better than the big ole dent that was there before he started...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
mbgmike

We recommend Dent Wizards cause they are good. It works better on thin metal because the metal being thinner it has a higher tensile strength than the older sheet metal. It actually has a memory and likes to go back to its original location. Steel like any technology has advanced and thinner doesn't mean its cheaper quality. The earlier lower strength steel does not do that. That is the reason it does not work as good as the newer steel. I have actually done it with the Help of a Dent Wizard friend. He does a better job than I do but I found it kind of boring to do but they do a great job for less.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Thanks all for the heads up! I'll do some calling around this week and check things out.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Which areas are you concerned with Doug?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Nate,
both the rear fenders. they are dimpled in several spots from normal use when it was a Wyoming farm truck. also have a very, very slight crease on the front driver fender.

guess my thoughts are that I would really like to keep the original paint intact...... for now.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

I know what you mean.... they're only original once. Keep us posted on what you find out from your local dent shops.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote