The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Fuel line

I'd like to replace the stock metal tubing with either -6 braided AN or something equivalent in inside diameter from the tank to the engine. I've seen aluminum hard line as well. I've read that fuel will eventually start to seep through braided line and make the vehicle smell like fuel all the time, is this true ?

Whats best to use and will pass tech inspection ? What works for you ?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
bigjimzlll

Re: Fuel line

Braided line will need to be replaced periodically. I use nomex braided...but I replace it every couple of years. For #6 I'd use 3/8th stainless brake line. Aluminum scares me...it will work harden and fail at the connections.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA

Last edited by bigjimzlll; 03-02-2009 at 08:35 PM.
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Rodms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimzlll View Post
Braided line will need to be replaced periodically. I use nomex braided...but I replace it every couple of years. For #6 I'd use 3/8th stainless brake line. Aluminum scares me...it will work harden and fail at the connections.
1/2 inch stainless and your done forever pretty much and use the stainless connectors.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Wild83C10

You can use teflon covered w/braided stainless steel. It's a bit more expensive but you wont have to replace it. I would run 8AN.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
... I would run 8AN.

I would agree 1000000%
There is this thing called the 'Faster, faster, faster' bug and it BITES,, and it bites with a VENGANCE!! Eventually you will outgrow the -6 and need -8 anyways,,,, don't wast the $'s on fittings you will eventually need to replace. There too stinking expensive for that!

And if anyone gives you crap about not needing that much fuel line right now,,, tell them your setting the truck up for when E85 is all that's available!

I ran Aeroquip -8 for about 6 years and no leaks, seeps or weeps. Then I switched the car to alcohol for a couple of races to see if I could tolerate it. (didn't like it and switched back to gas) and in a year I had to replace all the lines. It may have already been brittle, or the alcohol hardened it,,, don't know. The truck has the same an-6 aeroquip line I put on it in 1998. I'm sure 10 years is pushing it, but no hint of leaks yet.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Wild83C10

Marv D the issue with the hose isn't that they actually leak fluid, it's that the fuel vapors will escape from the line and stink up the garage. That is the problem I had. I now run Aeroquip TFE line. My garage stunk until I switched the hose.

turbo=
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
djracer

does anybody run the black lite weight hose?

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Rodms

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
I have 1/2" stainless steel tubing hand bent with a pipe bender and its a pain but its tough all stainless ferrels and connectors,5 gallon cell ,holley blue,it works fine.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I would agree 1000000%
There is this thing called the 'Faster, faster, faster' bug and it BITES,, and it bites with a VENGANCE!! Eventually you will outgrow the -6 and need -8 anyways,,,, don't wast the $'s on fittings you will eventually need to replace. There too stinking expensive for that!

And if anyone gives you crap about not needing that much fuel line right now,,, tell them your setting the truck up for when E85 is all that's available!

I ran Aeroquip -8 for about 6 years and no leaks, seeps or weeps. Then I switched the car to alcohol for a couple of races to see if I could tolerate it. (didn't like it and switched back to gas) and in a year I had to replace all the lines. It may have already been brittle, or the alcohol hardened it,,, don't know. The truck has the same an-6 aeroquip line I put on it in 1998. I'm sure 10 years is pushing it, but no hint of leaks yet.
Well right now I've got a 383, somewhere in the 450-500 HP range. Would that warrant -8 ?

Also, if I go with -8 I know I'm gonna need at least the same size on the inlet side of the pump (Carter 8 PSI electric). This is a 73-87 truck with saddle tanks. Should I be looking at modifying the sending unit for a larger diameter pickup tube ?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
LuckyHenriksen

Quote:
I am also curious about how well this works, I like the look so much better than old braided steel. The Aeroquip Startlite looks really clean, and I think I can get it locally.
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

Still wondering what I should do with the pickup for my tank. Will welding a length of 1/2 ID stainless tubing into the sending unit to replace the stock small diameter tube work for me ? This seems like the most logical move if I am going to run -8 from the pump up to the motor.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-07-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
djracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
I am also curious about how well this works, I like the look so much better than old braided steel. The Aeroquip Startlite looks really clean, and I think I can get it locally.

I have a friend that has some brand of light weight black hose with black light weight fittings I'll try to find a pic of it. It looks awesome but is expensive!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
GBC10

Quote:
Marv D the issue with the hose isn't that they actually leak fluid, it's that the fuel vapors will escape from the line and stink up the garage. That is the problem I had. I now run Aeroquip TFE line. My garage stunk until I switched the hose.
Can you use the standard aeroquip fittings with TFE -8 line?
GBC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBC10 View Post
Can you use the standard aeroquip fittings with TFE -8 line?
No you need different fittings. They are steel fittings. They are a bit more expensive then the standard aluminum ones.

turbo=
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Still wondering what I should do with the pickup for my tank. Will welding a length of 1/2 ID stainless tubing into the sending unit to replace the stock small diameter tube work for me ? This seems like the most logical move if I am going to run -8 from the pump up to the motor.
I am pretty sure you can do this, but I'm not a 100%. I don't see why you couldn't. Hopefully someone else will chime in and agree.

turbo=
Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Marv D

Quote:
That's pretty interesting. I've never experienced that myself. I run C-14 in the Nova and it's a very aeromatic fuel,, never smell anything in the shop unless the drum or fuel cell has been opened. Having a rubber tube core, then a reinforced braid, another rubber liner, then the stainless braid,, I'm very surprised anything (especially vapors) can weep out,,, but anythings possible. I would think that would be a huge fire danger issue.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Marv D

Quote:
Running a external electric fuel pump and the stock 'top of the tank' pickup is a bad idea. Fit the tank with a bottom mounted an-8 (or -6 or whatever you choose) if your going to run a external pump. Eventually you'll screw up and run out of gas... the electric pump will either have a HARD time pulling the fuel up and over the top of the tank,,, or because of the lack of prime it will not move the fuel AT ALL, burning the pump assembly up as it spins air (gaulling the aluminum housing) instead of fuel to keep it cool. Electric fuel pumps really need a gravity flow from the cell / tank to the pump body. They will be much more efficient and reliable tht way. Don't know if that helps you decide what / how to do it, but something you ought to consider anyways.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
85_prairieboy

One of my cousins modified the pickup in his Camaro tank by welding the 1/2" tubing into the stock tube location. Last I heard he was on his 3rd pump and couldn't get more than a couple of race days out of them. We couldn't figure out why because he had new 1/2" line for his whole system and a high flow filter so not much for restrictions. I bet if he had installed a sump on his tank there would have been no more pump problems.

1952 Chevy truck project
1980 Z28 Camaro
1967 Camaro drag car 10.60@126
85_prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #19
LuckyHenriksen

Quote:
I have a friend that has some brand of light weight black hose with black light weight fittings I'll try to find a pic of it. It looks awesome but is expensive!
That would be really cool, that is the stuff I am talking about. And if I can get it locally, I can put it on the company account
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_prairieboy View Post
One of my cousins modified the pickup in his Camaro tank by welding the 1/2" tubing into the stock tube location. Last I heard he was on his 3rd pump and couldn't get more than a couple of race days out of them. We couldn't figure out why because he had new 1/2" line for his whole system and a high flow filter so not much for restrictions. I bet if he had installed a sump on his tank there would have been no more pump problems.
Most if not all electric pumps are pusher style pumps meaning they want to push fuel. They will burn up if they have to pull fuel. This is why the pump should be gravity fed and as close to the tank as possible.
Aeromotive now sells a pump/sump kit all in one. You can cut a whole in your old tank and weld in this kit. The pumps are built into the sump, pretty neat idea.

turbo=
Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
That's pretty interesting. I've never experienced that myself. I run C-14 in the Nova and it's a very aeromatic fuel,, never smell anything in the shop unless the drum or fuel cell has been opened. Having a rubber tube core, then a reinforced braid, another rubber liner, then the stainless braid,, I'm very surprised anything (especially vapors) can weep out,,, but anythings possible. I would think that would be a huge fire danger issue.
It took me a long time to figure out where the smell was coming from. I tried a bunch of things to get rid of the fuel smell. It wasn't until I switched the fuel line that it went away. There were a few other people I spoke with that had the same problem. However, I do have friends that have SS braided rubber hose and they don't have that problem. Not sure why it happens to some and not others.

turbo=
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #22
Pyrotechnic

Right now the pump seems to prime itself fine. It's mounted level with the top of the pickup tube on the sending unit. My worry about the 1/2 inch pickup tube was that the pump would have a larger volume of fuel to pull up from the tank, which means it would work harder. It may not even be able to prime pull a vacuum and prime itself with that much volume in the inlet tube.

So it looks like I need to stick with the 3/8 ID tubing or sump the tank to run -8 AN ? I'd rather not go to an intank pump because I just bought and installed this Carter inline pump.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
Wild83C10

Quote:
Right now the pump seems to prime itself fine. It's mounted level with the top of the pickup tube on the sending unit. My worry about the 1/2 inch pickup tube was that the pump would have a larger volume of fuel to pull up from the tank, which means it would work harder. It may not even be able to prime pull a vacuum and prime itself with that much volume in the inlet tube.

So it looks like I need to stick with the 3/8 ID tubing or sump the tank to run -8 AN ? I'd rather not go to an intank pump because I just bought and installed this Carter inline pump.
I don't see any problem with leaving the 3/8 pickup tube. If you ever get to a point were you need that much more fuel it will be easier to upgrade it. But you are better off buying the 8AN now rather then buy the 6 and have to change it later for the 8.

turbo=
Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
Pyrotechnic

Makes sense. The pump was supplied with 3/8 fittings and only has 1/4 NPT threads so I figure it was designed to work with a 3/8 inlet.

I priced the Aeroquip teflon hose and it was very expensive, but I was looking at Russell products, and their Powerflex hose which is teflon power steering and brake hose and is about the same price as their standard hose. The fittings also cost the same. I figure this would be the best route for longevity since the price is pretty close to the regular hose ? $80 for 15ft of regular Proflex -8, or $86 for 15ft of Powerflex -8.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Marv D

Just remember, if you start with Russell, STAY with Russell. Seems most other brands (aeroquip, Earls, Jeggs, Speedway) are compatable. But Russell seems to have more leaks when you mix and match fittings of various brands. Stick with Russell all the way through or don't use them at all seems to be the consensus.