The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
COc10cst50th

Talking to bag or not to bag...airbags of course

hey all,

im kinda new on these boards and all, but i have a couple questions. first off, a bit about my history. i've been mainly into VW's both air and watercooled my whole adolecent/adult life (currently own both)... i've owned numerous air and watercooled VW, audis and (a) porsche, but my grandpa had a 68 truck when i was a kid and always loved it, which is one of the reasons i bought my current truck......

the goal of my truck, (68 cst 50th) is a slammed, and slighltly powerful Oem-plus style (i want it to look mostly stock except for stance and get-up-and-go)

meaning i want the exterior to look like an old truck (40year old faded original paint is good enough, and preferable, for me), while the interior, suspension and drivetrain are up to date.

my current suspension is a "premium 2/4 drop kit" by early classic, but its is not low enough. in fact it kinda looks like a factory job, so i have been thinking about the following....

convert to front disc brakes with 2.5 drop spindles and get the rear airbag kit (without the compressor), also from early classics, and that might suffice my need for slammed <explicit>ness.

however in a furvor of jim beam induced thought, i came up with the idea to airbag the whole truck....so here i am....

and i have a few queations.....
1) what do you guys/gals think.

2) what systems are available at a decent price (<2000.shipped) (i do not need an on board, air compressor etc, i'll be perfectly happy filling the tank and bags manually with the 200psi air compressor currently in my garage, like i did with my old 81 VW rabbit truck with and axle-flip and corvette air-shocks....

[don't laugh but it would do mid-high 14's in the 1320 all day long on 1.8liters of (junk-yard) fury, and could burn more rubber than most big blocks you see on the street....man i loved that thing]

3) i know i'll need to get a modified rear cross-member etc (i have a 2 piece driveshaft) but what other parts would i need to complete the process if i go through with it. etc

please point me in the right direction......

thanks in advance for help and divice!
COc10cst50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Re: to bag or not to bag...airbags of course

Welcome to the board from sunny Seattle. Got to the suspension forum and start cruising in there...WAY MORE info than we can provide here. Having said that...step notch the rear frame and bag it all the way around. I don't even use a tank...just schrader valves...LOL!

Here's a pic...bags in rear about 1.5 inches off the frame (waiting on step notch) and two coils cut in front (waiting on spindles and bags). It drives like a truck...hey wait a minute...IT IS A TRUCK!!!!
Attached Images

'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 03-03-2009 at 11:09 AM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
COc10cst50th

Re: to bag or not to bag...airbags of course

that is a nice stance.....about where i am looking at gettting mine down to. what bags do you use for the rears? and where did you get them?
COc10cst50th is offline   Reply With Quote