The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
65VOL

The Wedding Project

Alright, Its taken me some time to get to the point where I am actually making progress on my 65 long bed. And I'm feeling its now time to start a build thread. Here's the reason for the title. I'm graduating from college this coming May and will be getting married in July, and my fiance and I plan on driving this away from the wedding. I also plan to drive it from Knoxville to Virginia where we'll be having the wedding, and for this high demand I'm going to need to be in a reliable place with my truck.
The truck is original from 65 as it walked out of the factory with a few exceptions. One of these being the column shift having been moved to the floor, but I don't mind much. The engine is the original 230 inline 6 and the odometer reads 56 and some change...Which is more likely 156 and some change haha.
Anyway, I have all kinds of motivation to get this truck back on the road soon, and my only enemy is that which we all know...Time. My plans are to get it back to an "updated original" state. I'll be painting it an original paint scheme ; white on top w/ dark green on bottom, but It'll be flat/satin paints instead of a glossy finish. Also I'd like to install air bags for ride height adjustment as well as load capacity, but that will have to wait for a bit.

Enough of that; questions/comments/suggestions are welcomed. Here are some pictures.

Thats all for now.

65VOL

Last edited by 65VOL; 03-04-2009 at 09:31 PM.
65VOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: The Wedding Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65VOL View Post
Alright, Its taken me some time to get to the point where I am actually making progress on my 65 long bed. And I'm feeling its now time to start a build thread. Here's the reason for the title. I'm graduating from college this coming May and will be getting married in July, and my fiance and I plan on driving this away from the wedding. I also plan to drive it from Knoxville to Virginia where we'll be having the wedding, and for this high demand I'm going to need to be in a reliable place with my truck.
The truck is original from 65 as it walked out of the factory with a few exceptions. One of these being the column shift having been moved to the floor, but I don't mind much. The engine is the original 230 inline 6 and the odometer reads 56 and some change...Which is more likely 156 and some change haha.
Anyway, I have all kinds of motivation to get this truck back on the road soon, and my only enemy is that which we all know...Time. My plans are to get it back to an "updated original" state. I'll be painting it an original paint scheme ; white on top w/ dark green on bottom, but It'll be flat/satin paints instead of a glossy finish. Also I'd like to install air bags for ride height adjustment as well as load capacity, but that will have to wait for a bit.

Enough of that; questions/comments/suggestions are welcomed. Here are some pictures.

Thats all for now.

65VOL
Photo's aren't working so check your code. But congrats on the upcoming wedding and the rush on the truck. I'm actually graduating from High School in May so I'm hoping to have mine ready by a few weeks before so it will be rolling into the stadium blasting music and screaming like a raped date. We've both got alot to look forward to and even more work over the next few months.

Now get those pics working!

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
jgarverick

Awesome man. Congrats on the wedding. Can't wait to see the pics. O and Twiggy you shouldn't rape your dates they don't like that...
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
TwiggyTheDrummer

Beautiful custom interior. Are you going to move the gas tank, put in buckets, bench, etc.?

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarverick View Post
Awesome man. Congrats on the wedding. Can't wait to see the pics. O and Twiggy you shouldn't rape your dates they don't like that...
Oh come on man, what's the fun in them being willing?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
65VOL

Its hard to make an interior look quite so perfectly...tore up. haha I'll be putting the original bench back in as well as keeping the tank where it is. There is still some major cleaning and filling to be done in the cab, but my main focus has been getting it running again. It sat for about 3 years or so in all without being started, but now it runs like it never stopped. I got the insurance reinstated on it today, and hope to be back in a reliable driving state by next weekend. By "reliable driving state" I mean lights working, new tires, and seat back in. I'm a simple guy.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65VOL View Post
Its hard to make an interior look quite so perfectly...tore up. haha I'll be putting the original bench back in as well as keeping the tank where it is. There is still some major cleaning and filling to be done in the cab, but my main focus has been getting it running again. It sat for about 3 years or so in all without being started, but now it runs like it never stopped. I got the insurance reinstated on it today, and hope to be back in a reliable driving state by next weekend. By "reliable driving state" I mean lights working, new tires, and seat back in. I'm a simple guy.
It's good to be a simple guy. If I were smart I would have kept it simple but I wanted a customized show truck. So here I am almost a year down the road.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
19GMC63

I'm guessing by your username that your a UTK student/alum?
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Ive heard of using crate motors, not seats, though.........
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
65VOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GMC63 View Post
I'm guessing by your username that your a UTK student/alum?
Yes indeed I am. In May I will be graduating from UTK with a degree in Psychology. Once I don't have my undergrad studies to worry about, I'll be able to work on the truck a lot more. That's the time I'll get to the airbag suspension. At least that's the idea.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #11
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Your truck's not that far from a driveable condition.
It's just time and money.
If you've got enough of one, you've got none of the other.
And you'll never have enough of both.
Is the fiance helping?
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Hoser's Girl
Chevy Chica

Oh my God! That is the perfect love story......a truck, a guy and his gal.......and a wedding!!! Congrats!!!! I'm jealous!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser's Girl View Post
Oh my God! That is the perfect love story......a truck, a guy and his gal.......and a wedding!!! Congrats!!!! I'm jealous!!!!
All that's missing from the story is his dog...

I agree, congrats on the wedding and finishing school..

Ooh Hoser's Girl, you dropping Joe some hints???

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q

Last edited by 4dranch; 03-05-2009 at 12:20 PM.
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Hoser's Girl
Chevy Chica

Wink Re: The Wedding Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dranch View Post
All that's missing from the story is his dog...

I agree, congrats on the wedding and finishing school..

Ooh Hoser's Girl, you dropping Joe some hints???

Ha ha ha Do you think it will work?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
4dranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser's Girl View Post
Ha ha ha Do you think it will work?
If it's what you want,,,I sure hope it works...JOE hint....hint..

Sorry, 65VOL didn't meen to highjack your post.....

Daughters 66 truck:

Last edited by 4dranch; 03-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
65VOL

Thumbs up Re: The Wedding Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by retodd7711 View Post
Your truck's not that far from a driveable condition.
It's just time and money.
If you've got enough of one, you've got none of the other.
And you'll never have enough of both.
Is the fiance helping?
Yeah she is! She's excited about cruising around Highland Co in it. Technically its drivable in that I have driven it up and around my street lately, but until I get new stamps for the license and my lights working its staying put. Hopefully I'll get the lights worked out tonight. I just have to find the original taillights.

My Dad and my brother originally purchased this truck for 800 off a guy west of Nashville, and they drove it to my grandmother's house there. It drove well, but needed some cleaning up so they put it on a flatbed and brought it to Knoxville. The two of them did a nice job of tearing it down, but it soon found a home under the back yard shed. Now that was in 2003. Since then I have purchased it from my Dad and brother and towards the end of last year brought it outta the backyard workspace. Its a lot easier to work on a truck when you're lying on concrete than lying on dirt. So I made a deal with the parents that if I can move it to the driveway I'll work on it more.

Fast forward to today and my parents said yesterday when pulling in from work, "I can see it. I really can see it being finished." A nice operational definition for "finished" at this point is driving to VA for the wedding. "Finished" will have a new definition when I'm passing the truck down to my son. That's how it was gonna be when my family first had a 65 C10 back when I was about 9. Sadly that one has been buried, but this one has risen in its place and I couldn't be more excited for it.

Enough of that; Anyone ever used the wiring sections from LMC?
If I can't salvage the wiring that is existing I'll be looking for something like LMC's wiring sections. Any other ideas on wiring?

Oh and have any of ya'll upgraded your headlights to accommodate new bulbs?

Thanks for all the encouraging words!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Here's some headlight info.
Cruise through this guy's tech pages, lot's of good tech advice and FAQ
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/HeadLights.htm
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #18
65VOL

Update!
I got some new headlights to supplement til I make my mind up about transitioning to a new bulb system. I also pulled the bed wood and bench seat out of the shed and am getting it cleaned up and prepped to be put back in. Oh, and I have an idea for the exhaust that's going to be sweet if I can make it work...Wait on the picture for this one.
Now a few questions.

Question; Should I refinish the bed wood, or keep it as is? Its gonna be used as a truck, and show quality finish and sheen is not important to me.

Question; Any suggestions for repairing foam of the bench?

Question; Which do you prefer? The satin or the Flat Black? Flat is on the left, Satin on the right. I'm still debating on whether to paint black or the flat/satin hunter green. I'm fairly certain I'm going to go with the green, but I wanted to get ya'lls opinions on the colors.

Ah and a quick picture of Dad's Sunday driver.

Take Care
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #19
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Man your lumber looks way better than mine did. Mine literally fell apart when I touched it. Worst case slap some sealant on it and roll with it. Or you could sand it and make it all pretty, but if you don't care about appearance seal it and go. I'd personally sand it all down, but I'm going for that nice and pretty looking truck some day when I buy new boards.

I'm kinda digging the satin black. I don't know how its going to look in the sun on a full length panel like the bed. Meaning I don't know if its going to show every flaw or not like the flat can hide a bit more.

Last edited by kizer; 03-07-2009 at 04:02 AM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
65VOL

Finally got some parts in from LMC and waiting on a few from the Truck Shop, but here's some pics as of late. I've been toying around with colors and seem to like the original green color of the truck. I'm so ready to graduate so i can have more time devoted to working on the truck, enjoying the truck, and less time studying for finals and the GRE.

I'm losing the front wheel when I get new tires put on the stock wheel. I'm still debating on white walls or not.

This was the most recent development with this project. The seat rebuild and covering. The seat has some crummy repair work done previously, so I cut all that out and put in some more even and comfortable padding. I used 18x18x1" squares of foam from walmart and some 3m adhesive spray.

Here's the lower half

Aaand the finished seat.

I'm graduating in just a few weeks, and hope to drive the truck round campus then. All I'm waiting on is the taillight wiring harness to come from Truck Shop.

Adios
Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #21
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

That seat turned out great..... hmmmm might have to be the next thing on my long list! I like the green and white..

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #22
jason65
Registerd User

Looking good! I think you should get the wide whites.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Nice job on the seat. That looks great!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
65VOL

Thanks thanks! As soon as it quits being rainy in Knoxville i'm gonna do a lil wetsanding and throw on another coat of color. Another new update! I finally got my parts in from Truck Shop in Cali and now I'm ready to get a day of work in. The Truck Shop had the best prices on wiring harnesses and a new turn signal switch. By the way the steering column was one interesting breakdown. My brother and Dad had moved the shifter to the floor from the column, and when I opened up the steering column to check the signal switch I was working blind as to how the column shift should be. However, I don't think its going to be too much of a problem. With my trusty shop manual in hand I feel pretty confident about getting this ole guy back to the column shift.

Jason65, do you have any good examples of wide whites? By wide white do you mean having almost all of the sidewall white?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #25
4dranch

Any progress updates....the wedding still on....

Daughters 66 truck: