The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

My truck told me what it wants me to fix next

Turns out the correct answer was brakes. For the last couple of days ive been driving home, truck has been pulling to the right. Yesterday, she got a little topsy turvy, but nothing bad. Today on the way to my buddies it felt like the wind was going a hundred miles an hour, turns out the wind was blowing pretty good at my side, so i ignored it, then my steering got loose one way and tight the other, so i thought maybe my tie rods were going bad. When i got to my buddies house, grabbed the flashlight, crawled underneath, and was greeted with smoke. First thing i do, pop the hood, coming from drivers side, looked for wires against exhaust manifolds, nothing. Start looking some more. Driver side caliper, hubcap was extremely warm, so i now at least have located the problem. As i stated earlier, the truck was pulling to the drivers side, and the entire way home it was bucking like a bent disc, which is more than likely made itself present. I assume the caliper failed, i cant remmber if i replaced the brake lines two years ago or not, that may be the culprit, and i know my rear brakes are crap, been meaning to change them for a while. So whats everyone's vote, going to pull it off tomorrow and see. Is is possible the caliper failed and bent the disc? I wouldn't think the wheel bearings failed, because that would have locked up the front drivers wheel completely, but hen again i cannot recall if i repacked them, or they looked good enough the last time i did brakes, which was two or three years ago. Theres nothing worse than the smell of burning pads.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 03-05-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
rod86
great southern land

Re: My truck told me what it wants me to fix next

looks like a full suspension/steerin/brakes/etc overhaul is on order...

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
D13

Once the caliper locks up the rotor gets hot and warps. Usually requires new rotor. If it was smoning better bet on new bearings and seals too.

Calipers are pretty cheap, but those rotors.... and if it got that hot and warped bad it probably is beyond turning.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Havent even pulled it off yet. Im betting the hole went bad. Now, the half tons have the inch and inch and a quarter rotors or something like that, mines a 6050gvw, does that make it have the thicker rotors? And the measurement is just across the edge of the rotor, not the shaft of the spindle correct?

Looks like im gonna have to drive one of my camaros now, supposed to rain this friday too, should have a blast.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

[QUOTE=Walts_restoration;3181522]Now, the half tons have the inch and inch and a quarter rotors or something like that, mines a 6050gvw, does that make it have the thicker rotors? And the measurement is just across the edge of the rotor, not the shaft of the spindle correct?[QUOTE]

Yes the trucks have the 1" and 1.25" Rotors. And you are correct in where to measure it. But as far as what is on yours...I am unsure. I thought mine was gonna be the big rotors and it has smaller ones.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
spudz

Turn the rotors, get two new calipers and brake lines...they are cheap....just get em.. and get a decent set of brake pads like bendix or some kind of semi metalic.. master cyl are real cheap too....if it looks like its been leaking by the booster just get one....they are like 20 bux... get two new wheel cyls for the back....again they are cheap...get a hardware kit....they are cheap....look at the drums...if they look ok, they prolly are...if they are scored up, get em turned.. get new shoes... replace... also a good time to see if you need axles seals.. You can replace everything and turn everything, repack the wheel bearings for like 200-300 bux... depending on what brand stuff you get..and brakes are something you dont want to just "get by" with if you know what I mean.... then you KNOW your good next time you go for the brakes.. also replace rubber line in rear. Be sure to flush all the old nast corosive brake fluid.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..

Last edited by spudz; 03-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
Turn the rotors, get two new calipers and brake lines...they are cheap....just get em.. and get a decent set of brake pads like bendix or some kind of semi metalic.. master cyl are real cheap too....if it looks like its been leaking by the booster just get one....they are like 20 bux... get two new wheel cyls for the back....again they are cheap...get a hardware kit....they are cheap....look at the drums...if they look ok, they prolly are...if they are scored up, get em turned.. get new shoes... replace... also a good time to see if you need axles seals.. You can replace everything and turn everything, repack the wheel bearings for like 200-300 bux... depending on what brand stuff you get..and brakes are something you dont want to just "get by" with if you know what I mean.... then you KNOW your good next time you go for the brakes.. also replace rubber line in rear. Be sure to flush all the old nast corosive brake fluid.

Plan on it, went to orileys and everythings in stock or coming, but they only show one rotor for a 77 half ton 2wd, so that scares me, hopefuly its the right one. I always buy the good parts for up front, but the rear drums i use the cheaper shoes since your front brakes take most of the hit.

My name tag says Ryan