The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
jak254

Need your chassis knowledge help.

I am looking at a 50 Chevy chassis that has had a Heidts Mustang II front end and a Heidt's 4 link 9" rear. I know nothing about the seller or how this was put together. How can I tell if it was welded on correctly and everything is in alignment(the front and rear are not welded on crooked).?
Any advice by 10 pm Friday night would be appreciated as I am looking at the chassis Saturday morning.
Thanks
jak254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need your chassis knowledge help.

As far as the welding, You have to be able to inspect the welds and if you don't know a lot about what to look for take along a buddy who does. This might to ask the buddy who is somewhat of a nitpicker to go along to have a critical set of eyes to look at it.

On the front end. Ask questions and find out how they set it up. how they squared it up and maybe even measure it for square. The 4 link should have some adjustment in it to be able to get the rear end set right after the weight of the body and engine and trans are in the truck. The front end will look to be out of line with no weight on it but the crossmember should be square to the chassis with a bit of tilt (3 to 5 degrees) towards the rear for positive caster.

Otherwise ask how they set it up and see what the answers are. If he can explain how he did it and somewhat show how he did it you will probably be ok.

If it looks scabbed together or the welds look like the muddobbers did them then shy away from it.

If you still aren't sure, take a batch of photos and post them and some of us can probably tell you if it looks ok or not.

As a side note, I have one buddy who I won't take along to look at anything as he is too easily dazzled by flash and another buddy who is quite knowledgeable but can almost be too critical. He has saved me from some grief a time or two with his observations on something I was planning on buying. You don't want to take along a know it all who may kill the deal due to his attitude or comments but it's nice to have an extra set of eyes that are able to spot things you may miss.

Last edited by mr48chev; 03-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
sgtusmc

mr48chev IS SPOT ON.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

If the buyer is on the level he shouldn't object to having the chassis towed to and alignment center and put on the machine. At your expense of course.
But I'd rather pay $150 and know its bad or good than pay $2000 and have a dog walking ride.

Last edited by dwcsr; 03-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote