The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
72step

Anyone running the Weiand Street Warrior Intake?

Has anyone ever ran this intake? I'm in the process of selling my Edelbrock Performer RPM to a friend and change up my engine a bit. I built it back in 97 and I think it's time for change. I'm also selling the Edelbrock Elite valve covers and throwing in some chrome GM valve covers along with the ever bright finish Weiand Street Warrior Intake to brighten up my engine bay. It seems like a new design too. I'm also replacing the exhaust and headers with a flowmaster/H pipe setup with ball and socket headers I bought used. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by 72step; 03-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
wesmigletz

Re: Anyone running the Weiand Street Warrior Intake?

Are you planning to run a Q-Jet? If so, I think it would be a great choice, given your improved exhaust. The Street Warrior was designed for a 383 sized engine to run in the 1500-5500 RPM range, where as, a Performer was designed for a 350 engine in the 1500 - 5500 range.

BTW, if you haven't purchased your exhaust yet, look into running an exhaust with an X pipe. I had a stock 350/4 bbl Q-jet engine in my old C20. I installed Hedman Elite Headers, and a 3.00" X pipe kit from Jegs ($89 at the time for the X and head pipes), 3" large case Magnaflow mufflers, and 3.00" pipes out the back. The truck picked-up 2 - 2 1/2 mpg with the exhaust upgrade. Despite dire warnings that my pipes were too big, there was no loss in low RPM SOTP, and the truck was noticeably stronger at freeway speeds, with a 4.10 gear. I upgraded the exhaust for my future 383 swap, but it did not hurt the 350 engine, because the headers were properly sized. The truck sounded healthy, but was not obnoxiously loud. At the time of my swap, the Magnaflow mufflers were the best flowing large case mufflers on the market.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
BarryB

Not sure about yours but i am running a weiand stealth intake. Seems to be a good all around intake. good from idle to 6800rpm's.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
72step

I'm actually running a Balanced 65 Vette 327 4-bolt main .030 over 280H Comp Cams 9.5to1 Compression Ratio, gear drive, headers SS valves, roller rockers--built pretty stout. The Performer RPM works fine, I just want a different look with the everbright finish. I'm not really expecting a performance gain as the Performer RPM is a decent intake. It's more about making a change and choosing a good intake for my combo. I called the tech line at Jegs and they said it would be a "really good combination."

Oh and the carb is a Quick Fuel 650 dual feed performance carb. The exhaust I purchased used is a pair of headman headers with the ball & socket collector and is 2.5 inch piping, flowmaster mufflers, with an H-Pipe. They dumped just in front of the tires on a long bed so I'll probably just cut them right behind the cab for now for my short bed and see how that sounds. Later I might have an exhaust shop weld and bend some chrome tips to dump in front of the rear tires. Right now the exhaust is all the way out the back with just cheap turbo mufflers and I'm just tired of the quieter sound. I'm also tired of looking at the same intake and valve covers that have been there since 97.

Last edited by 72step; 03-07-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
wesmigletz

Is this the intake you are referring to?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If your Quickfuel carb is a square bore carburetor, you would probably be better off with a square bore Stealth or Airstrike intake, rather than the spread bore street warrior. Both were recently revised by Weiand, and should be available in the everbright finish you desire. What about adding an oil fill tube to your intake to change the look and having the intake coated? The RPM really is one of the better street intakes. That said, the street warior is set-up for both a square bore and a spread bore carb, and will perform nicely with the 280 Cam.

BTW, I ran a quickfuel carb on the stroked 327 in our Vette. I leaned out the idle feed restictions, and tuned the carb with a wide band O2 tuning tool (LM1). It really cleaned the idle and low-speed cruise up. Smaller idle feed restrictions are available direct from Quickfuel. If your mixture screws are less than 1 1/4 turns out (while setting your mixture screws with a vacuum gauge), you need to reduce the size of your idle feed restrictors. It was simple, cheap, and made a big difference in tip-in, cruise, drivability and was worth a couple MPG (our car went from an 11.5:1 AFR at our 2200 RPM cruise speed, to 15.1:1 AFR). If you haven't done so, I would encourage you to.

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
I'm actually running a Balanced 65 Vette 327 4-bolt main .030 over 280H Comp Cams 9.5to1 Compression Ratio, gear drive, headers SS valves, roller rockers--built pretty stout. The Performer RPM works fine, I just want a different look with the everbright finish. I'm not really expecting a performance gain as the Performer RPM is a decent intake. It's more about making a change and choosing a good intake for my combo. I called the tech line at Jegs and they said it would be a "really good combination."

Oh and the carb is a Quick Fuel 650 dual feed performance carb. The exhaust I purchased used is a pair of headman headers with the ball & socket collector and is 2.5 inch piping, flowmaster mufflers, with an H-Pipe. They dumped just in front of the tires on a long bed so I'll probably just cut them right behind the cab for now for my short bed and see how that sounds. Later I might have an exhaust shop weld and bend some chrome tips to dump in front of the rear tires. Right now the exhaust is all the way out the back with just cheap turbo mufflers and I'm just tired of the quieter sound. I'm also tired of looking at the same intake and valve covers that have been there since 97.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
72step

Thanks for the insight Wes. The more I think about it, the more I'm changing my mind about my intake. It's this guy I know from work that's been bugging me for it since I told him I was thinking of selling it. It seems pointless to spend bucks and my time removing/installing it for virtually no performance enhancement. It would be only for bling and I don't show my truck. I was noticing the Stealth is probably more suited for my application but in the evercoat finish it's up over 300 bucks! I'd rather save the money and do my exhaust and a complete tune up, maybe do that mod to the carb you're talking about. Thanks....Matt