The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
'70GMCStep

Torque ConverterTransmission Question

This is probably a silly question. I have a 283 with a 350 behind it right now. I am about to put a 350 in there and buy a 700 R4 to go with it.

The question is will my current torque coverter in my 350 work in a 700 r4, or am I looking at getting another one?

Also, the 350 I bought has never been used, but has sit for a few years without being installed. What kind of trouble am I look at in getting it freshened up?

Any advice would be well taken,

Thanks,

'70GMCStep

'70GMC stepside
'65 Chevy C-10
'70GMCStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
FreeRideYZ250

Re: Torque ConverterTransmission Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70GMCStep View Post
This is probably a silly question. I have a 283 with a 350 behind it right now. I am about to put a 350 in there and buy a 700 R4 to go with it.

The question is will my current torque coverter in my 350 work in a 700 r4, or am I looking at getting another one?

Also, the 350 I bought has never been used, but has sit for a few years without being installed. What kind of trouble am I look at in getting it freshened up?

Any advice would be well taken,

Thanks,

'70GMCStep

'70GMC stepside
'65 Chevy C-10

The torque converter from the th350 will not work with the 700r 4. You will need to get a 700r specific converter. You will also need to make sure you get the TV cable hooked up corectly, this is imperative to the lifespan of the transmission. There are some good companies out there that swap pretty easy to do. bowtie overdrives . com has alot of useful information.

The engine, you shouldn't need to freshen much up on it. As long as it hasn't been sitting with open ports or anything, where dirt and debris could get into the engine, I would think you should be fine. At very worst case scenario, change the gaskets out, like oil pan, valve covers, intake, front and rear main.
FreeRideYZ250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
jgarverick

Re: Torque ConverterTransmission Question

i second what freeride said. if its been inside and was oiled down before storage, you should be ok with changing just a couple gaskets. i personally don't even use oil pan gaskets anymore just straight silicon and torque down wet. if you haven't bought the 700r4 yet, you may want to consider a 2004r, not as big of a 1st to 2nd jump, can be built to higher hp capabilities and about the same money. ditto on the tv cable. improperly adjusted tv cables probably destroy more trannies than anyone right foot ever did. good luck.

64 C10 SWB Stepside 350/muncie - 5.3 vortec (soon)Thread
69 AMC Javelin 360/auto - 417 stroker (soon)
68 Scout (Basketcase)
06 Ram HEMI SWB Reg Cab Daily Driver

US Army Vet
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote