The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
wesmigletz

Source in California for LSx Engines

I was originally planning to put the 383 from my old C20 into my 71 SWB, and have a 700R4 built for it. However, having priced the trans rebuild, and given that I will need a gas tank for my project anyway, I think I'm going to change directions and go with a gas tank sumped for FI and a late model LS series engine and transmission.

I've read some threads where forum members seem to be getting great deals on LSx engines and transmissions. Comparatively speaking, my local prices seem high, compared to what others have posted.

I'm looking for a relatively low-mile 6.0L engine and transmission. I don't mind driving a couple hours to deal with a reputable wrecking yard.

TIA,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
wesmigletz

Re: Source in California for LSx Engines

Well, I got the tank and pump on order from Fuel Cell Guy, now all I need to do is find an engine. I would appreciate a recommended source for the engines... late model truck yard, etc.

TIA,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
powell72

There was an article in Classic Trucks a few months ago about a place called Goldenwest Pickup parts that was supposed to have a good selection of LS engines. I'm certainly no local but hope this helps some.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
dan42

Lots of 'em out there - A local JY here has a 5.3 for $900 - just gonna need to do a little junkyardin'.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
spinning wheels

Keep an eye out on CL or check out the Long Beach or Pomona Swap Meets.

I have seen them installed in many older cars. But I didn't ask where they purchased the engine from. I know you will most likely need a stand alone computer for the ignition.

The one guy I ran into, had installed a newer Vette engine in a 71 Z28, along with a six speed. He was getting his engines from a Vette shop. The shop was pulling the engines from wrecked late model Vettes.

As he told me, one of the engines he purchased, ended up being junk as it had a cracked aluminum block. The shop honored their claim that the motors are good and replace the motor with another one. So I would really check the condition of the engine and get in writting that the engine is not a piece of aluminum junk and will be replace if not rebuildable.

One more item, he had to get some custom headers made for the engine/car combo.
I know other people on this site had done the conversion, I would ask a lot of questions before starting this kind of swap.

Good luck, sounds like a cool idea.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
wesmigletz

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been checking Craigdlist almost daily, and have seen a few 5.3 engine and trans combos, but I am hoping for a 6.0L. The prices for the 6.0 combos seem to be quite a bit higher than what I have read that others are paying in central California and other parts of the country. I think the L.A. prices are way out of sync with most of the country.

powell72, is the Golden West you are referencing a classic truck resto shop? That was what turned up during my search.

I just did an on-line salvage yard inquiry, but I'm leary of sending that much money out of state.

I hope to find something soon, and I'll post back with my results.

Thanks again,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
wesmigletz

Been getting some return emails from the internet junk yards. The late model LQ4 engine trans combos seem to be going in the $2500 range with accessories, harness, and ECU. The Trail Blazer SS engines were quite a bit higher. Does the $2500 seem about right?

Also, I have a lead on a 5.3 engine and 4wd trans for $1000 b/o. Can the 4wd transmissions be made to work with a 2wd truck... chnaging tail shaft, etc? I'd prefer a 6.0, but this price is a lot more in-line with my budget, especially if I could use or sell the transmission.

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Ford Assassin

Talking Re: Source in California for LSx Engines

Hey Wes, taking a page from my book, eh?

The reason the 6.0 is more money is because the 5.3 has been built 2.5 more times than every other LSx series motor combined.

I too was trying to hold out for a 6.0, but gave in on the prices an selection of the 5.3. I bought mine complete turn-key for $600 w/37k miles from a local yard (and they have more) including every sensor, harness, MAF, PCM, starter, etc.

Bakersfield's CL has a 5.3/4L60e combo listed for $1000, I wouldn't be surprised if its the setup you mentioned.

To answer your questions, yes a 4x4 tranny can be easily converted to use in a 2wd setup. It would require the output shaft changed and tailshaft housing added. I had the same thing done by my local tranny guru and he charged me around $200 (including parts) and re-sealed the tranny while he was at it.

On another note, I am glad I went with the 5.3. My buddy has a late model Chevy with the 6.0 and its a gas hogg. My 5.3/4L60e combo gets me 22 mpg on the highway and has plenty of pep.

Its funny that my old truck beats my 2007 HEMI Charger until 85 mph and blows the tires away at will (not always a good thing...). My 5.3 is stock internally, but has a performance 'canned' tune by Wait4Meperformance.com (same company did my stand-alone conversion), long tube headers, and cold air intake setup.

Lots of guys have swapped out the stock cam for a factory 2002+ LS6 cam and yellow springs and gained 35-50 HP with no other changes. So that will very likely be my next mod considering used LS6 cams are fairly cheap compared to a brand new Lunati Voodoo cam (my first choice if money wasn't a factor).

Anyway, I have become somewhat of a guru with the LSx engines so much that I don't even own any SBC/BBC powered cars/trucks anymore....

If you have any more questions, I am more than happy to help Wes. Take care.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608

Last edited by Ford Assassin; 03-20-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
wesmigletz

Cable, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Bakersfield engine was the one I saw. I was hoping for a 6.0L, but I need to keep in mind my truck isn't a hot rod. I'll give the guy in Bakersfield a call tonight after work. I could live with 22 MPG.

What headers are you running? Did they fit OK? I saw a guy on ebay selling regrind LSx cams, but I don't personally know any one who has used one. I imagine a mild cam, with your long tubes, and a ECM tune, you could get 300 HP to the wheels...

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post

powell72, is the Golden West you are referencing a classic truck resto shop? That was what turned up during my search.

It's a truck salvage yard, no web address, but here is what is listed:

Dave's Goldenwest Truck
714-898-4343
6972 Garden Grove Blvd., Westminster, Ca. 92683

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
wesmigletz

Powell72, thank you for the contact information. I just gave them a call, and they were $3500 for a 6.0L engine and trans, and $2,000 for a 5.3L engine and trans.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
boostat4500

There's a 6.0 for sale up here in Reno for 1k on Craig's List. It's complete with harness, pcm ,etc. Been for sale for a while so I bet he'd take less. It's got 110K miles though which I'm sure is more than you want. I wouldn't be too scared of the miles though IMO. Drop some pistons in it and call it good if you were woried. I've got a 2WD 4l60E out of an 01' Camaro I'd sell if you end up anywhere near here and need a tranny.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #13
wesmigletz

Boost, thank you for the heads-up. I'm looking for an engine to drop in and go. I'm going back on active duty in July, and I need to have my truck mobile by then.

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
Ackattack

When I was looking for my engine, I looked all over too hoping for a 6.0L or 5.7L. I emailed and talked to a few people that advertized their engines at 6.0L only to come to find out they were 4.8L. So make sure you check them out too.

I ended up with a 5.3L from a guy I know who swapped a 6.0L into his Avalanche. Then I ended up with an LS6 block that needs rebuilt too....

Search around on LS1tech.com. Especially in the regional forums, you can probably find something local there.

Good luck.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #15
Ford Assassin

Talking Re: Source in California for LSx Engines

Quote:
Cable, thanks for the reply. Yeah, the Bakersfield engine was the one I saw. I was hoping for a 6.0L, but I need to keep in mind my truck isn't a hot rod. I'll give the guy in Bakersfield a call tonight after work. I could live with 22 MPG.

What headers are you running? Did they fit OK? I saw a guy on ebay selling regrind LSx cams, but I don't personally know any one who has used one. I imagine a mild cam, with your long tubes, and a ECM tune, you could get 300 HP to the wheels...

Wes
I am running Hedman Torque-Step headers for a '98-'02 F-Body. They aren't a direct fit though. I had to move 1 tube, move both O2 bungs and relocate both collectors. I also welded up all the EGR/AIR tubes closed, but they didn't have to be removed, that was just me.

I would stay away from regrinds, especially since LSx cam are hollow, but again that's just me.

I know of at least two guys that have used the LS6 cam, long tube headers, and a tune that are putting around 335HP to the wheels.

My 5 year plan for the truck is to have it painted and adding a single turbo. I keep telling my wife that I'd be good to go with 600 to the wheels.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Old 03-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
boostat4500

No problem. If July is your time-frame you've got more than enough time, so don't sweat it. We could have that thing in and driving in a weekend if you wanted.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
wesmigletz

Ackattack, thans, I just joined over at LS1Tech, and I'll check out the regionals. I'll also be sure to verify the engine size.

Cable, I bought the trail blazer SS manifolds that short-t was selling, so I had a set ready to go in case the ons on my engine didn't fit the chassis. as much as I love headers, I may not mess with them this time around, because I am on a cramped time schedule.

There seems to be quite a few people around who are happy with the 5.3L engines, and 335 RWHP is stout for sure. One of the big draws to the 6.0L block was the chance to swap to a pair of L92 heads and intake at a later date. I'd like to swap cams before I drop the engine, but not sure if I'll be able to get the wife's blessing to open up a healthy engine, at this stage in the game...but I am gonna try.

Thanks again,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
Ford Assassin

Quote:
There seems to be quite a few people around who are happy with the 5.3L engines, and 335 RWHP is stout for sure. One of the big draws to the 6.0L block was the chance to swap to a pair of L92 heads and intake at a later date. I'd like to swap cams before I drop the engine, but not sure if I'll be able to get the wife's blessing to open up a healthy engine, at this stage in the game...but I am gonna try.

Thanks again,

Wes
The L92 heads are great and cheap, but in order to use them you need alot more than just the heads (intake, rocker arms, fuel rail & injectors, etc) and it adds up pretty quick.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
Ackattack

Quote:
Ackattack, thans, I just joined over at LS1Tech, and I'll check out the regionals. I'll also be sure to verify the engine size.

Cable, I bought the trail blazer SS manifolds that short-t was selling, so I had a set ready to go in case the ons on my engine didn't fit the chassis. as much as I love headers, I may not mess with them this time around, because I am on a cramped time schedule.

Thanks again,

Wes
I haven't fired mine up yet, but here's my plan:
I'm installing it the stock configuration so that trouble shooting in minimized. I'm worried if I swap cams and other things now, when I go to fire it up and it won't stay running, I won't have to figure out if I installed the cam wrong, or the tuning is off or what. Once I get it running (probably over next winter) I'll swap in a cam (or maybe rebuild the whole engine and tranny).

Just seems to me it might save some head scratching if I run into problems.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
Ford Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I'm installing it the stock configuration so that trouble shooting in minimized. I'm worried if I swap cams and other things now, when I go to fire it up and it won't stay running, I won't have to figure out if I installed the cam wrong, or the tuning is off or what. Once I get it running (probably over next winter) I'll swap in a cam (or maybe rebuild the whole engine and tranny).

Just seems to me it might save some head scratching if I run into problems.
My thinking was exactly the same and I didn't swap cams for that very reason.