The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
joehalford01

question about a 65 i found

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted, my 63 is long gone (divorce) but I still have a ton of parts left over. I need another driver and I found a 65 for sale for $500. The guy thinks it's a longbed, but it's actually a short bed fleetside. I was pretty suprised. It has quite a bit of rust on the doors, they are garbage, but the cab mounts and cab corners are really good. There is alot of surface rust on the drip rails but no holes in the roof.

So my first question, what would cause the doors to rot like that? the bottom insides are completely gone, just water collecting in the bottom of the doors from sitting so long?

My second question, the four speed that's in it is super super noisy. It goes into gear with no problems and stays in gear under load (i had trouble finding the gears but i think that was me more then anything-never driven one with a four speed). The transmission just seems to make a lot of noise going down the road. What does that tell me about the transmission? Does it just need gear oil?

Other then that i was impressed, there was an inch thick layer of grime on everything under the hood, the engine sports a pair of mickey thompson valve covers...makes me wonder what else his grandpa did to the truck. All the gauges work too. It's been a while since I've looked into buying one of these trucks, the shortbed fleetsides usually go for quite a bit more don't they?

i'm leery because of the transmission, tell me what you think. lol, thanks.
joehalford01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
terd ferguson

Re: question about a 65 i found

Check around the top of the windshield on the outside real good for rust too. Doors for 4-5-6's can be had cheap and easy enough. The tranny could be a lot of things. Checking the fluid level would be the first step. If you go look at it again, take a couple of quarts and if it needs some, fill it up and see how it does.

Good luck, $500 sounds pretty good for a runner that needs doors (if the tranny's good).

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
joehalford01

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
Check around the top of the windshield on the outside real good for rust too. Doors for 4-5-6's can be had cheap and easy enough. The tranny could be a lot of things. Checking the fluid level would be the first step. If you go look at it again, take a couple of quarts and if it needs some, fill it up and see how it does.

Good luck, $500 sounds pretty good for a runner that needs doors (if the tranny's good).
this is going to sound dumb, but how do i check and fill a four speed tranny? I don't know anything about them other then how to shift the gears. I've only ever worked on automatics.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Well, Terd.
Sorry, but that;s just funny.
QQuestion 1 The doors are notorious for letting water in around the windows, but not letting it out the bottom.
Like posted abover, doors for 4*5*6 are reasonable.(try finding a pair for 60-63)
Question 2 The 4 speeds are noted for "school bus" sounding tranny noise. But if it's extreme you may have trouble.
You should have 2 square plugs on your tranny.
1 is a fill hole other is level check.
Add gear oil to top hole until it seeps out second hole.
**edit**
After I read this it doesn't sound right. Somebody else want to chime in please?
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005

Last edited by retodd7711; 03-15-2009 at 07:27 PM.
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
ob1monkey

top hole is fill and check bottom is for draining. fill from the top hole until it starts to leak out or stick your finger in and can touch the fluid level.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

A running, driving 4-5-6 Chevy truck with a swb fleetside bed on it, is worth $500.00, in most any case, especially if it has any desireable options.

Drain, flush and fill the tranny. Test drive it. I may also be the throw-out bearing, depending on the type of noise it is making.

Good luck and post some pictures, so we can get a better look at what you are considering.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the window felts rot out, and then water sits in the bottom of the sdoors, dust, and sometimes leaves collect in the bottom, the original drain holes are small and clog real easy.
one door that I cut apart was still wet on the inside-the mud/dirt was damp- and it had been sitting in my garage for at least 2 months.

I have thought about enlarging the drain holes in my doors, and I have done this to my rear front fender braces.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have to agree with Tony on both the value and the tranny. Even if the tranny ends up being junk, you can put most any manual tranny you want in there, or just convert to an auto.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
joehalford01

cool, thanks for the info guys. i'll throw up some pics if i get it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
joehalford01

damn, it is a longbed, i must have been trippen the first time i looked at it. I bought it anyways, it just seemed right. anyways, here are the pics, tell me what you think. $500 even, it has current tags and and starts right up. I'm going to have it towed home sat morning, I didn't want to risk running it home as the tires are a bit ugly and so is the radiator. I'll play with it at home first for a bit.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
joehalford01

here are some more

Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
OARNGESI

Nice purchase
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I see $1K in parts if you decide you need to get your money out of it. Those are factory saddle tanks in the bed. It also appears to have a factory V8, factory Custom steering wheel & chrome horn ring assembly, factory anodized aluminum grille, factory chrome front bumper, factory stainless steel windshield trim, factory Harrison 4-core radiator, factory radiator shroud, etc., etc., etc.

I think you did good.

Last edited by LILRED66; 03-19-2009 at 11:48 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That's well worth $500..... keep us updated on your progress.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote