The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

PVC valve routing w/ open air filters

What are my options?
Year One has an open element air cleaner with a PVC port on the bottom, but I’m wanting to keep my carburetor/ intake clean. My old Pontiac had an attachment in the stock cleaner to trap some of the garb form the PVC, I'd consider something similar on my truck if possible.
How are you running your PVC?
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: PVC valve routing w/ open air filters

i just run my pvc valve off the manifold vacuum

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
ulakovic22

Are you running a filter on both valve covers? If so then you don't need a PCV valve. The valve is just used as a one way valve so the air doesn't get trapped in the crankcase. If you are running an open filter on one side and a hose on the other that goes to you carb then you should put the valve under your filter so air can enter and get sucked through the crankcase by the vacuum created by the carb.

Edit: You can also put an inline filter between the opposite side valve cover and the carb/intake to keep your intake clean. You should check/replace it pretty often though.

Last edited by ulakovic22; 03-16-2009 at 02:51 PM.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
i just run my pvc valve off the manifold vacuum
I like this idea, I was under the impression it didn’t have the correct vacuum pressure or operated at the wrong time? Not sure if I made sense with what I’m trying to say.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
Are you running a filter on both valve covers? If so then you don't need a PCV valve. The valve is just used as a one way valve so the air doesn't get trapped in the crankcase. If you are running an open filter on one side and a hose on the other that goes to you carb then you should put the valve under your filter so air can enter and get sucked through the crankcase by the vacuum created by the carb.

Edit: You can also put an inline filter between the opposite side valve cover and the carb/intake to keep your intake clean. You should check/replace it pretty often though.
No, just one on one side and PVC on the other. The old set up dumped the air after the filter just over the butterflies on the carb. My old Pontiac had a clip on filter thing that would trap some of the crap.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the correct way, is to pull vacuum off the bottom of the carb, to feed the PCV valve on one valve cover.
Then, on the other side, you have 2 options.
1 run a vent.
2 plumb a hose from the hole on the valve cover, up to the air filter.
The second choice is the better of the two. This will feed the vent side (intake) clean air.

Running vents/breathers on both sides is not a good plan, and there are no draw back to a PCV system.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I'm not exactly sure that I understand your question, so I'll just toss this out there & hope it helps you.

The first two shots are of my Chevy. I have a filtered breather on one valve cover and the PCV valve on the other. The hose off the PCV valve goe to the base of the carburetor below the butterflies.
I have also run very similar systems on a couple of boats.

The last two shots are my GMC. One valve cover gets "filtered" air from the base of the air cleaner and the other valve cover has the PCV valve. The hose from the PCV valve also goes to the base of the carburetor, below the butterflies.

With today's engines, if you just run two breathers and no PCV system you can actually build up enough crankcase pressure to cause oil leaks.

I hope this was helpful.

LJ
Attached Images

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 03-16-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
cdowns

pvc never goes to the aircleaner// it normallay goes to the base of the carb where therescthe largest port//the air cleaner accepts the hose from the breather thats on the other valve cover from the pcv
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
the correct way, is to pull vacuum off the bottom of the carb, to feed the PCV valve on one valve cover.
Then, on the other side, you have 2 options.
1 run a vent.
2 plumb a hose from the hole on the valve cover, up to the air filter.
The second choice is the better of the two. This will feed the vent side (intake) clean air.

Running vents/breathers on both sides is not a good plan, and there are no draw back to a PCV system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
I'm not exactly sure that I understand your question, so I'll just toss this out there & hope it helps you.

The first two shots are of my Chevy. I have a filtered breather on one valve cover and the PCV valve on the other. The hose off the PCV valve goe to the base of the carburetor below the butterflies.
I have also run very similar systems on a couple of boats.

The last two shots are my GMC. One valve cover gets "filtered" air from the base of the air cleaner and the other valve cover has the PCV valve. The hose from the PCV valve also goes to the base of the carburetor, below the butterflies.

With today's engines, if you just run two breathers and no PCV system you can actually build up enough crankcase pressure to cause oil leaks.

I hope this was helpful.

LJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
pvc never goes to the aircleaner// it normallay goes to the base of the carb where therescthe largest port//the air cleaner accepts the hose from the breather thats on the other valve cover from the pcv
That clears it up. I pulled my old stuff from my pile and tried to figure it out & seen a weird breather setup. I’ll try to post pictures later, but from how you guys are describing the set up makes sense.
I just didn’t want to suck any oily air through my new carb.
s/t
Old 03-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

This is the part in question, and after I gathered the rest of my parts it shows that the PVC is on a different hose. The hose I originally thought it was connected to in the return.
s/t
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
cparman
sharp as a marble

I have a PCV in the passenger valve cover, and on the other side I have a tube that runs from the valve cover to the air cleaner, This way as the PCV sucks it is getting filtered air from inside the air cleaner.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Yep.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
mr48chev

[QUOTE=ulakovic22;3200991]Are you running a filter on both valve covers? If so then you don't need a PCV valve. The valve is just used as a one way valve so the air doesn't get trapped in the crankcase. If you are running an open filter on one side and a hose on the other that goes to you carb then you should put the valve under your filter so air can enter and get sucked through the crankcase by the vacuum created by the carb.

That is completely false information and will only cause oil leaks an blown out gaskets.

The pvc valve is there to draw the fumes out of the crank case and run them through the intake to be burned in the engine.

Tubes from the valve covers to the air cleaner are so the engine can "draw" clean air through the the aircleaner into the crankcase to flow through the crank case and out the pcv valve.
The little filters on the side of the stock air cleaners are there because those units don't draw air that has already been filtered by the air cleaner.

Putting a filter on one valve cover and the pcv valve on the other will work the same as having the tube from the valve cover to the aircleaner.

If you are getting excessive blowby to the aircleaner through the tube from the valve cover the engine is already worn out or the pcv valve isn't functioning correctly.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
ulakovic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev
That is completely false information and will only cause oil leaks an blown out gaskets.

The pvc valve is there to draw the fumes out of the crank case and run them through the intake to be burned in the engine.

Tubes from the valve covers to the air cleaner are so the engine can "draw" clean air through the the aircleaner into the crankcase to flow through the crank case and out the pcv valve.
The little filters on the side of the stock air cleaners are there because those units don't draw air that has already been filtered by the air cleaner.

Putting a filter on one valve cover and the pcv valve on the other will work the same as having the tube from the valve cover to the aircleaner.

If you are getting excessive blowby to the aircleaner through the tube from the valve cover the engine is already worn out or the pcv valve isn't functioning correctly.
What is false exactly? The air passing through the air cleaner into the carb creates a vacuum that pulls air through the engine to evacuate any pressure built up in the crankcase. The only way for the system to work is if it's a one way system, to do that you need a PCV valve. The PCV valve can have an open filter on it or a tube running to a cold air intake doesn't matter, it's only purpose is to keep the air flowing one way. In some cases the tube running to the air cleaner opposite the PCV valve will suck up oil as well and unless you want an oily intake/carb you need to put an inline filter in to trap particulate. You can use a catch can instead so the heavier oil falls out of suspension into the bottom of the catch can. Some people are able to get away with having tall valve covers so there is less splash coming from the rockers. Why do you think that most stock valve covers are baffeled where the tube is that runs to the intake/carb.....to decrease the chance of oil/particulate making it's way to the intake/carb.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

On mine, the PCV goes to the carb, and the other side has a filtered breather. I can't imagine the filtered breathers being any different than pulling filtered air from the air cleaner. Plus it's like a 3 dollar part at Vatozone.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote