The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
KrashMan454

Build my Dream truck!

Ok! Here is my question! I would like to build a 1972 Cheyenne Super with all of the options and it be a matching numbers truck too. I already have a good truck to start with but it is a long wheel base and I want a short wheel base. I have a donner truck for the frame, but technically with a different frame will it be a matching numbers truck? And also would it not be legit to change up the option list in the glove box to match all the options I added? I don't see where I can go wrong by adding a factory cruise, buckett seats with a console, and a sport rear bumper, but would the swb frame affect the value of the truck? It has already got the tach and tilt wheel and the Cheyenne Super package with a BB402. Everybody let me know what you think. This will be a truck to pass down to the kids. Thanks in advance for the advice! Name:  Picture 2222.bmp
Views: 422
Size:  45.6 KB P.S. I know alot of you guys are thinking do what you want. But the goal I am after is most like factory with only some subtle changes like 2/4 drop and 15x10 rallys on the back. And when I get finished it have the most value as a collectable truck. Thanks!!!
KrashMan454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Re: Build my Dream truck!

The Number on the frame wont match your title but I would still do it

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
mr48chev

As I am more of a customizer and hotrodder I can't really see the point of tacking on every gee gaw out of the accessory book on a truck that didn't come with them originally. This is a to each his own thing and if that is what you like head on, go for it.

I can see wanting to make a shortie out of it but why not shorten the original frame and keep it original to the truck. There are a couple of good threads on the board about it and someone who knew who knew what he was doing could do it in about a day if the truck was prepped a bit beforehand.

The "will it loose it's value" phrase to me is only one higher on the list of things I don't like to read or hear than "what's it worth?" Most guys view a short bed truck as more desirable than long beds unless they intend to haul stuff in them.
That won't hurt the value if it is done right except to the rare few that might view it as a hacked up truck that isn't completely original anymore.

I'll have to say this, I wish my 71 looked near as nice as your truck does now as that is a nice looking truck in my book.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Its only a matching numbers truck if everything on the truck is exactly what is on the factory build sheet.

Once you change the spid its not original anymore anyway. But I think you should build what you want, adding in all the extras would be cool.

Last edited by CG; 03-18-2009 at 01:21 AM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

CG hit the nail square on the head IMO.
There are very few numbers on a truck anywyas, so numbers matching could just mean frame/vin/spid. However, the term numbers matching gives the implication of all the major components being original.
As far as value, yes, a loaded SWB super with a BBC is the cream of the crop. one with a properly shortened fram or a swapped frame is just one step under the real ones as far as value goes.
It's your truck, and it'll be passed to your son as you said, so dollar value shouldn't matter untill it gets sold. Build it like you want, just don't try to pass it off as something it isn't.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
jay6891
Car Knocker

x2
I would do it if I could. But wouldn't change spid, or advertise as a numbers matching truck.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
big_al_71

The minute you modify or change something it will no longer be considered a matching number original vehicle. As other already said why not just short your own frame?

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
cdowns

in my experience once you pass something on "to the kids" value plumets into the cesspool
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote