The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
JohnC

The Search Is OVER!!!!

Hey guys wanted to let you know I found me a new toy. I have been looking for a 73-87, mainly a 81-87 Chevy SWB. After doing some searching, and several questions, Thanks by the way ! I found one.

It's an 84 Chevy Silverado. It has the stock 305 with a 350 Tranny. I thought this was weird because I thought all 1/2 tons came with 700R4's in 84, but it looks to be all original, and the shifter designator in the dash doesn't show overdrive. The ironic part to this whole thing is that it is the exact same color combo as my old 84 SWB that I had in high school. This wasn't intentional, but I guess an omen for my truck search! My wife didn't think so! The body is in really good shape. It has a small rust spot in the bottom rear section of the bed behind the rear wheel, and a couple of small dents. The worst dent is in the passenger door. Other than that the paint is in great shape, and the interior needs a few things. New carpet, headliner, and dash pad. It has a 88-94 seat in it, and I am planning on changing to a 95-98 seat. I like the look of them better, and they seem to be more like the original too. The seat that's in it now is nice, but sits to low, and to me just doesn't fit the truck. The worst part of the whole truck is the fact that a previous owner decided he wanted a 4WD look out of a 2WD truck. It has 3" lift springs up front, and blocks in the rear. Then add on 31x10.50 tires, and it sits really tall. Now I like the look on 4WD trucks, but that's where I think they belong, not on 2WD's . So my first plans are to change to stock springs, and go with some 275/60's. I haven't decided yet if I want to lower it and go with a bigger wheel, that and my tight budget at the moment won't allow for $1200+ in wheels and tires. So right now I'm going to at least get it back to normal, and go from there. All I have from here on out is time.

I got a pretty good deal on it, or at least that's what I keep telling myself! I know it needs some work, but I can drive it and enjoy it while I'm playing so that is a big plus! I look forward to hearing what you guys think.
Attached Images

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Re: The Search Is OVER!!!!

Cool, nice looking truck. It looks like a great solid truck.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
JohnC

Yeah it really is. It's a lot better truck than the other ones I have seen for sale. I've looked at a few that they wanted more money for, and were in a lot worse shape.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
jason65
Registerd User

Congratulations John. Looks good. Now ya got something to drive out to the meet.
jason65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
JohnC

Thanks Jason I'm pretty psyched about it. I'm looking forward to the meet.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
joe231

cool truck!!
what did you give for it?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
SBTork
Garage wrench

Good find, it looks like it's in really good shape now get that thing down in the weeds

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
menace121978

congrats! very cool... now start your mod list and open a high limit credit card w/ a po box billing address! LOL welcome to the crazyness

nice solid foundation

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
JohnC

I picked it up for $2800. I think I got a good deal. Monday when I was working on it I was a little discouraged, but I kept telling myself it was a good deal! I think I was a little blind it being the same as my old one and all!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
JohnC

Yeah I definitely need to get it lowered down. Right now I'm settling for stock height. I haven't decided if I want to lower it and go with 18's or 20's or if I want to stay stock and go with 15x8's. I want to do both, but if I can just get the lifted stuff off of it right now I will be happy.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
joe231

from the pics, it looks to be well worth $2800
but we all know pics can lie
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

John it looks like your patience paid off. It's hard to pass on those that seem to be a good deal, but it worked out in the end.

I suggest you get a forum subscription and put the tires and wheels up for sale or trade. They look like they would bring a decent dollar from someone in need of them.

Look in our classified section or your local swap meet for some decent rally wheels. Get it lowered where you want it and buy the wheels you really would like to have.

Congratulations on your find...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
but we all know pics can lie
Yeah they do sometimes. My concerns are all mechanically. The original 305 that's in it is just that original. The vacuum lines have long been removed here and there. It runs ok, so I guess the ones that are gone aren't needed. I'll be looking for a 350 down the road, and I'll clean the engine compartmant down to the necessity stuff. So it's not really an issue now, just one of those things you look at and say there is supposed to be something there!

Last edited by JohnC; 03-18-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
John it looks like your patience paid off. It's hard to pass on those that seem to be a good deal, but it worked out in the end.

I suggest you get a forum subscription and put the tires and wheels up for sale or trade. They look like they would bring a decent dollar from someone in need of them.

Look in our classified section or your local swap meet for some decent rally wheels. Get it lowered where you want it and buy the wheels you really would like to have.

Thanks, yeah it's great having a square body again! I am on the lookout for some rally wheels. I am planning on the subscription here in just a bit after I got the thread here posted.

Now that I have the truck there are gonna be lots of threads of wants and needs!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
JohnC

Woohoo paid the man, and now my name is in blue!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
keith61760

Looks Good. I like that color combo. Congrats.
keith61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
JohnC

Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah I like it too. It's funny and ironic that it is exactly the same combo as my old one. That and I put McSwine's truck, which is the same color combo, on as my screen saver before I bought this one too. I've always loved the two tones in the square bodies. Guess I liked this color more than I thought

Last edited by JohnC; 03-18-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: The Search Is OVER!!!!

I'd say ya did good thats a nice looking rig ya ended up with.

Im with ya on the wanna be 4x4 i never really understood that way of thinking.

Ya fix a little here and there and before ya know it your truck will be real nice.

Goodluck with your new project.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

x2 -- a lot of people like pre-runner style trucks, so someone will take the lift kit stuff off your hands

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
f.monroe

Congrats on a nice find ! As to the lift springs , they can be a sign that the previous owner actually had some pride in the truck and probably took care of it . Thats better than buying one that someone just drove into the ground without any concern about the truck or its appearance . From what I can see , It looks like it was taken care of which will definitely pay off in the future for you . One thing to keep in mind about buying new stock springs is that the truck probably wont come down that much .factory height replacement springs will usually lift an original truck about 2 inches because of the settling of the springs over the years . If you want it to sit at about the same level as other factory 81-87's , I would recommend Belltech 1"drop coil springs . I have a pair in my 77 longbed and it sits about exactly where it did with the original springs , but not with the lean it had . I bought a pair of factory springs from the autopart store , installed them and the truck lifted about 2 inches . I then cut them to lower it a bit , cut too much and ruined them , and had to but more . The Belltechs were pricey but worth what I was after .
Keep us posted as it progresses and pics are always appreciated .
Frank
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
f.monroe

I forgot to mention that I think the search is just beginning . The truck you found is a nice one to work with but the search for parts , wheels and tires , the right suspension , etc is just beginning .
Frank
Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
JohnC

I didn't know that they had just 1" lowering springs. That is probably what I will go with. I thought they just had 2" drop springs. That is kind of where my dilemna was coming in. If I dropped it I wanted to go with spindles instead of springs. I heard that they gave a better ride for the lowering achieved. I was also just looking for some stock springs out of a salvage yard or something. I haven't really started looking all that hard yet. I spent Monday changing valve cover gaskets, and cleaning up some of the vacuum mess under the hood. I also have to change the gas tank, it's leaking. I changed both of them on my old truck and I might as well do it while it's all jacked up that would make it easier! This truck only has one tank so that makes one less I have to change!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
mainermikeyd

NICE TRUCK, not a bad find for the price!!! Welcome to the addiction an let us know your progress, it's nice to have a truck where valve cover gaskets vaccum lines carb are still serviceable without payin a shop to work on it for ya, you can find some pride an enjoyment workin on your own piece!!!!!!!!!!! Who says new vehicles are worth all that $, $2800, couple gaskets, tank maybe a couple weekends of your own time how is that not better for the enviroment than buying a new sardine can pick-up thats junk in 5-8 yrs your truck is 23 yrs old runs drives if they only still built like this we wouldn't need a new every 5 years!!!!!!!! Just my 5 cents haha GOOD LUCK & have FUN
1986 c30 camper special 454, th400 (for sale)
1984 K10 Big Ten (project) needs motor
1984 C10 355, 700r4, (project) needs shortbox bed
mainermikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
joe231

Pull-A-Part in OKC has lots of square bodies, and parts are way cheap.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #25
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

nice truck, what a good deal
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote