The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

No spark, any suggestions?

The HEI in my '70 isn't throwing a spark. I drove it home from work on Monday, commented to my wife how well it ran after I replaced the fuel pump last weekend, then jumped in it Tuesday after work to run some errands, and it wouldn't even try to start.

Took the module to O'reilly, it tested good, replaced the capacitor and distributor cap with known good ones that I had in the shed. Still no spark. Any suggestions?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: No spark, any suggestions?

Mine did something similar, but the wire to the pick-up coil in the HEI had a break in it that would cause an open circuit when I let off of the gas and the vacuum advance moved the "breaker" plate.

After I replaced the old HEI with a new Accel HEI, no more problems.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 03-19-2009 at 02:56 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

I'd test the ign wire and make sure it's hot when the key is on. If the Dizzy is mechanically sound, that'd be my guess.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
soba_03

If it's got HEI I'd check the carbon button that contacts the top of the rotor. I've had them just vanish...LOL. it's something simple to check. Let us know what you find.

Good luck..
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I used these sites to check mine out some time ago. Make sure you have a good ground (clean) connection at the base to the frame. Also, if you converted to HEI from points, insure you are using a non resistive wire to the distributor. If you used the old wire, it may work but can damage the module. Make sure you are using the dielectric grease on the module.

http://www.granitecityperformance.co...&print=1&page=

Testing the GM HEI Distributor
A no-spark condition is checked by checking the distributor for power at the connector on the side of the cap. If there is power, disconnect the electrical connector and remove the cap. Check the rotor and the cap for excessive wear. Check the coil tower for excessive wear. Remove the top plastic cap on the distributor cap. Use an ohmmeter and check the coil positive terminal to the metal case of the coil. The reading should be infinity. Check the coil tower and the negative terminal. The reading should be 900 ohms. Check the positive terminal to the negative terminal. The reading should be around 700 ohms. If any of these tests show drastically different readings, the coil is bad. If the coil is good, the cap and rotor are not cracked or worn significantly and there is no spark at any wire, replace the ignition module.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
maddog1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
I'd test the ign wire and make sure it's hot when the key is on. If the Dizzy is mechanically sound, that'd be my guess.
What Texanidiot said I fixed a friends truck that had the same problem some time back. It had been running fine, one day it just wouldnt start. The ignition wire looked fine but it had a complete break in it. It looked factory (truck was an 80 model or some such) and the outside of the wire looked fine, but the actial wire inside was extremely brittle.

EDIT: By the way Tynee, Hiya neighbor! I didn't realize there was anyone near Somerset on the board!

Last edited by maddog1331; 03-19-2009 at 06:06 PM.
maddog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Hey maddog, there are indeed several members from the general area. There used to be a post where all of the kentuckians checked in. Might run a search for Kentucky. There's actually a member in or very close to Somerset named Junkyardjohn. Moved to Somerset from Las Vegas, NV a few years ago. I was as close to you as Russel Springs the other day on my way to my grandparents' house in Edmonton.

Anyway, I've pretty well narrowed it down to a the coil pickup being the most likely culprit. My question is, how do I get it out from under the mechanical advance assembly?

I'm looking real hard at just replacing the entire Dizzy. It's filthy in there, even some rust from an unknown source. When I look around, I' ve found an ACCELL HEI on CL that's supposed to be almost brand new, for $80, or I can replace the coil pickup in my current unit for $40. I'm leaning towards the ACCEL unit.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Skip White HEI on E-Bay is another option.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This may be helpful:http://www.rustpuppy.org/ignition2/Ignition%202b.htm

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
That's good info, thx.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I used the rustpuppy site to rebuild mine and also this site-

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/HEI.html

If you scroll down, he gives pn's for the items you may need.

One thing I will caution you on. If the shaft is pretty much dried up or caked up with gunk and won't budge, don't force it out. Let it soak with a solvent agent or whatever you use for degreasing and slowly work the shaft out.

I forced mine and moved the upper bearing. I was able to tap it back down, though.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #12
maddog1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
Hey maddog, there are indeed several members from the general area. There used to be a post where all of the kentuckians checked in. Might run a search for Kentucky. There's actually a member in or very close to Somerset named Junkyardjohn. Moved to Somerset from Las Vegas, NV a few years ago. I was as close to you as Russel Springs the other day on my way to my grandparents' house in Edmonton.

Anyway, I've pretty well narrowed it down to a the coil pickup being the most likely culprit. My question is, how do I get it out from under the mechanical advance assembly?

I'm looking real hard at just replacing the entire Dizzy. It's filthy in there, even some rust from an unknown source. When I look around, I' ve found an ACCELL HEI on CL that's supposed to be almost brand new, for $80, or I can replace the coil pickup in my current unit for $40. I'm leaning towards the ACCEL unit.
Hey, thanks for the info! I did a search and realized there were quite a few Kentucky members, it is good to know Maybe this summer a bunch of us can all go participate in the Somernites Cruise one weekend or something. My truck isn't by any means a show truck, but any excuse to take her up and down the road is a good one!
maddog1331 is offline   Reply With Quote