The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
switchblades66

? about dropping truck/and headlights don't work???

Hey out there,

I want to lower my 1966 chevy truck step-side. Ok here it goes bear with me, it is now sitting stock and i have looking rockabilly style. White with red scallops anyways i want to lower it but i have some ?'s. One i don't want to have it dragging on the ground. Another is i do not want to have the tires rub the inner fenders if i hit a good bump. Or to wear it makes the wheels buckle up front, you know to where they sit like this> / \
Like some of the lowriders sit to where it could damage the wheel cylinders or ball joints ect. Also i would like it to where i could turn the wheels without rubbing in front. i heard about heating the coils, cutting them ect. I would like to try that but i don't want to screw it up and make it sit like crap. I would if i could just use different coils, but to where it is not breaking the bank and would like a good ride and also to wear it looks good. Sorry for the detail but any help it would be great!!!! THANKS ALOT GUYS

Also got a problem with my headlights working!!!!!!!!!!
switchblades66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: ? about dropping truck/and headlights don't work???

You can pick up a set of 3"/5" lowering coil springs for under $200.00, so that may be where you want to start.

As far as you headlights not working, you need to provide more information about what troubleshooting you have done, so far.

Welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS and don't forget to post early and often...especially photos.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
joe231

for the best ride, you can't beat drop spindles
does your truck still have drum brakes all around?

on the headlights...........have you checked the dimmer switch?
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
switchblades66

Sorry should have went into more detail bout the headlights, thought it was the switch got a new one still not working low and high beams don't work everthing on the truck works but the headlights? I was washing and waxing it monday they were working fine went to work on tuesday morning and they stopped working. Like i said my turn siganals work, parking lights, brake and tail lights work, but no headlights. I heard maybe it could be the dimmer switch or the horn relay? Any help or if u need more info. please let me know. Also about dropping truck i over heard someone say something about installing jeep coils in the rear to drop it will that work????? THANKS

And the answer to joe231 no i have disk up front drum in back!!!

And thats for the responses and help!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
joe231

make sure you have power to the dimmer with the lights on, if you do then check for power out of the switch.
if that is good, check the connector that passes through the fire wall, and then the one that goes through the core support....
it is just a matter of figuring where there is no power. if you have power at the head lights then check your grounds.

my money is on the dimmer switch, they are subjected to dirt and water. could be corrosion on the connector, or internal corrosion.

you can use jeep (along with many other) coils on the rear if you have coils back there (some trucks have leaf springs in the rear) several on here have done it (including me) just search for "jeep coils"

drop spindles will lower the front and not effect the camber and travel, drop springs will cause negative camber and give you less suspension travel......
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
switchblades66

Thanks alot again joe231 i will give that a try, one more thing i forgot to ask, in the rear of my truck it does have coils and no leaf springs, but if i put the jeep coils on how much does it bring it down and what year jeep?

thanks again take care, i will try to post some pics of her soon!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
joe231

no problem

jeep wrangler TJ 1996-2007 rear coils

3"-5" drop

check out our thread, first page has info on the jeep coils.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=292466

Last edited by joe231; 03-20-2009 at 06:03 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

As Joe mentioned, the connector thru the corsupport can come loose. After I changed my grill my headlites didnt work. I thought it was a ground issue, but come to find out it was just the connector coming loose after playing around with everything. It still looked like it was hooked up, too.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote