The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

Front Rotors

How hard is to get the front rotors off of of my 78 BLAZER 4X4
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Front Rotors

It is not "hard" but there is quite a bit of work involved. It is not like pulling a drum off from the outside.
First you have to remove the lock-out hub or the drive flange if it is an un-converted full-time truck. After that comes the caliper which is held on by two bolts (Allen head) Then comes the actual retaining nut/s. A special 4-pronged socket is very helpful in this. It is not absolutely required for disassembly, but it will help greatly when you put it back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Basically, the rotor is mounted behind the hub, with wheel studs pressed through it, into the hub.

So you have to remove the caliper and entire hub, which is a great time to replace or re-pack the wheel bearings. Then use a brass faced hammer to knock out the wheel studs.

A time or two, I've bought rotor/hub combos that are already together with the wheel studs pressed in from Car quest for the price of a rotor alone. They also came with wheel bearings, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by FormerMember; 04-02-2009 at 03:24 PM.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Pics are worth 1K words...

It's a picture of a Jeep 44, but same principle.

Your rotor sits behind part 40.

Like that

Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
72BLAZERDUDE

I actually need to replace all of the front wheel studs. I broke one off on pass side and two off driver side yesterday, so they are all getting replaced. I just wasn't sure how to get the front hubs apart. It is still full time so I will need to get the drive flange off and the retaining nut. Do I need any special tools for the drive flange. And I assume I can get the retaining nut wrench or socket at Napa. Probably do the ball joints while I have it apart. They are still the non greaseable originals.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BLAZERDUDE View Post
I actually need to replace all of the front wheel studs. I broke one off on pass side and two off driver side yesterday, so they are all getting replaced. I just wasn't sure how to get the front hubs apart. It is still full time so I will need to get the drive flange off and the retaining nut. Do I need any special tools for the drive flange. And I assume I can get the retaining nut wrench or socket at Napa. Probably do the ball joints while I have it apart. They are still the non greaseable originals.
I have the sockets, but some people use a chisel and hammer to run the wheel bearing retaining nuts off.

For the wheel studs, you need to stop there.

For the ball joints, you need to take the spindle and axleshafts out... might as well do ujoints too

Make sure you rent a ball joint press, if you're doing them.