The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
CrashBob

New Exhaust System

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to pop a fresh small block and 700R4 in my '67 and was wondering what type of exhaust set up to use.
I'm thinking about a set of block hugger type header with straight back pipes and a pair of turbo mufflers. Opinions?

Question, where do I get the pipe set up other than LMC? The local pipe/muffler boys around here think they're dealing in gold pipes and charge accordingly or they don't have clue about quality.

If I can get a kit that's close, I'll do it myself.

Once again, all suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

CrashBob
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
lax54650

Re: New Exhaust System

i just walked in the house from setting my engine back in. looks like my block huggers will be difficult to make work because they dump straight down directly at the crossmember.... i might be able to make them work by creating a diferent collector. one that sweeps back right after the dump. i plan on x pipe
$25.99 pro flow mufflers out the back behind wheels. i am scratch making mine bought "heartthrob" manderel bends from local speedshop.
summit sells mandrel bends.

Last edited by lax54650; 03-20-2009 at 07:56 PM.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax54650 View Post
looks like my block huggers will be difficult to make work because they dump straight down directly at the crossmember.
Thanks, that's why I asked. Good luck with your set up!

CrashBob
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
lax54650

i think guys are using chevelle mid length headers use the search function search headers you will get lots of info
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

lax54650,
Did you get them for a 2 wheel drive. You have to order the ones for 2 wheel drive with the turn back in them. The old Ram Horns are the same way. If you get them out of the 4x4 they dump straight down which is right over the motor mounts in a 2 wheel drive.
You can get straight ones or off set.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
lax54650

i bought them off the shelf at a speed fab shop here in town. they clear the motor mount. i got 2 different styles of 3 bolt flanges with them. one goes straight down one is canted. i put the canted ones on ( before putting engine in) canted away from engine to gain room around starter. if i rotate them 90 deg. canted towards rear i can clear crossmember. i may want to use mini starter then...

they look like your top pictures. i have the engine in the forward position.

Last edited by lax54650; 03-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashBob View Post
The local pipe/muffler boys around here think they're dealing in gold pipes and charge accordingly or they don't have clue about quality.

CrashBob
I know exactly what your saying...... I needed a small coupler to temporally clamp my mufflers on. The manager says all I need is a straight piece of pipe in 2.5. He claimed it would be a slip fit over my old 2.25 pipe. Wrong.
I stopped back by the next day and they made me another set of expanded pipe (slip fit). He asked for the other two 5in pieces he sold me earlier! I told the guy, I didn't know you are selling this stuff by the gram. I'll gladly return them for a refund the next day.
You know they would throw them in the scrap pile.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 03-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
lax54650

i cant use these block huggers.... i need the swept back ones or mid length chevelle headers. i think i can get them to take them back.