The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
wesmigletz

Front End Rebuild Parts

I am about to pull the trigger and order the parts to rebuild my front suspension and steering. Comparing NAPA and Rockauto.com for Parts, Rock Auto was much cheaper, and stocked MOOG components.

It's my understanding that MOOG is the best, and I hav used them in the past. That said, they are quite a bit more $$$ than othe life-time warrantied parts. That said, would you still stick with MOOG? I want to do the rebuild once, and then forget about the suspension, other than lubing, etc.

I was planning to order the following MOOG parts: Upper and lower Ball Joints, inner/outer tie rod ends and sleeves, upper and lower control arm shafts, pitman arm, and idler arm.

Are the steeering stabilizer kits for 2WD trucks? If so, would you add one? The monroe kit is $39.95, where as the MOOG is $59.95. Would you still recommend the MOOG?

I couldn't find a listing for a centerlink. Does anyone have a source? My truck has a manual steering box on it, but it came with a rebuilt PS box, which I plan to install. I hope the PS box doesn't leak like the NAPA box did from day one on my BBC 65 Chevelle with headers...

I'm planning to get the brake parts and shock absorbers locally. I plan to replace all the wear parts and brake hoses. I will probably replace all the brake lines as well, and switch to dot5 fluid at the same time, because the truck may have to sit for long periods of time.

I was planning on Monroe Gas Magnum for the shocks. Are there any other recommendations?

Can anyone think of anything else I should do while I'm there? My goal is a reliable, good riding/driving truck, that I won't have to mess with for a long time.

TIA,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Front End Rebuild Parts

I went with MOOG parts for mine (still haven't installed them yet). I got mine from Rock Auto.

No need for a steering stabilizer for a 2wd, so don't waste your money on that.

The center link is a non wear item and it not replaced unless damaged. The same one is used for 67-70 and 71-87. If yours is not bent, just clean it up and reuse it. If you need another one, you most likely will have to find one at a junk yard as I don't think anyone repros those.

Sorry, no info for shocks. Last '68 I had, my buddy at Bilstein built me a set. My current truck I got the KYB with the kit from Early Classic.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you replacing wheel bearings or any of the brake parts? SSince you will have everything a part, it might be a good time to go through the brakes and bearings.

Good luck!
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 03-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
cdowns

lifetime warrenties??? now is that your life if you survive a parts failure or just the life of the vehicle ???
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
wesmigletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Sorry, no info for shocks. Last '68 I had, my buddy at Bilstein built me a set. My current truck I got the KYB with the kit from Early Classic.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you replacing wheel bearings or any of the brake parts? SSince you will have everything a part, it might be a good time to go through the brakes and bearings.

Good luck!

Chevy Mike, I ran the gas magnums on my old C20, after the "old guy" at the parts counter recommended them and was happy with them, and the ones I used led a long, happy life... FWIW, I have KYB on the Chevelle, and Edelbrock shocks on the Vette. I really don't know a lot about shocks, but I have been happy with the Edelbrock and KYB shocks, too.

I plan to go through the brakes and replace all the wear and soft parts too.

Thanks again,

Wes
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
wesmigletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
lifetime warrenties??? now is that your life if you survive a parts failure or just the life of the vehicle ???
cdowns, I dunno, I suppose it would depend whether or not the vehicle survived the parts failure.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

chevy_mike is right on about the center-link. That has been brought up several times before...no need to replace them unless damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
wesmigletz

Longhair, thank you for the confirmation.

wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
chevy_mike is right on about the center-link. That has been brought up several times before...no need to replace them unless damaged.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Joe67
67 is sold

My chassis rebuild uses MOOG parts up front

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
wesmigletz

Joe, it looks like mine will too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
My chassis rebuild uses MOOG parts up front
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
spinning wheels

I would stick with MOOG. The cheaper stuff, even if it has lifetime warranty, just never seems to be of a good quality. I look at it this way. How many times do I want to rebuild the front end?

On shocks, I am a Bilstein fan. I run them on the front of my '72 3/4 ton. They did not have any listed for the rear, so I installed a set of Rancho shocks.
The rear has leafsprings and the only time it settles down to a normal ride, is when it is loaded or I'm pulling a car trailer.
I need to replace the leafs with either a mono leaf or just have a new lighter set made.

On the front, I do run a steering stabilizer. Not sure if it was a factory option or an after market kit. There is a listing for that item also.

The Bilsteins are available from Auto Zone, but it is a special order item. When I purchase them, they were around $70 a piece.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #11
wesmigletz

Spinning Wheels, thanks for your suggestions. I have to agree with your and the others' assessments about using MOOG parts.

My 71 SWB and 72 C10 LWB both have rear leaf springs. I haven't driven the 71 yet. Heck I don't even have 4 tires of the same size on it, yet. However, I do like the way the 72 rides and sits. I suspect the springs are the originals, given the condition of the rest of the truck.

What are the benefits of the Bilstein shocks vs a decent replacement shock? Would there be any benefit to spec'ing a front shock for a C20 rather that a C10?

Do you have any before and after driving experience with the steeing stabilizer? My 72 gets mild bump steer from time to time, but I figured it was just the leaf springs and bias ply tires...

Wes
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
I would stick with MOOG. The cheaper stuff, even if it has lifetime warranty, just never seems to be of a good quality. I look at it this way. How many times do I want to rebuild the front end?

The rear has leafsprings and the only time it settles down to a normal ride, is when it is loaded or I'm pulling a car trailer.
I need to replace the leafs with either a mono leaf or just have a new lighter set made.

On the front, I do run a steering stabilizer. Not sure if it was a factory option or an after market kit. There is a listing for that item also.

The Bilsteins are available from Auto Zone, but it is a special order item. When I purchase them, they were around $70 a piece.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Daves72'GMC

When I restored my truck ,I used all Moog front end parts and Monroe gas magnum shocks, and I'm very happy with them.Cost more,but the only way to go.
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
wesmigletz

Dave, thank you for the confirmation. I'll be going with Moog.I don't want to be doing this over. I think I'll stick with the Gas Magnums to save a few bucks, too. The last ones I used lasted for years, and I was happy with them.

Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves72'GMC View Post
When I restored my truck ,I used all Moog front end parts and Monroe gas magnum shocks, and I'm very happy with them.Cost more,but the only way to go.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
spinning wheels

Wes, I believe the Bilsteins are nitrogen gas charged shocks. They invented that process way back when. Most inexpensive shocks use oil to dampen, and as we all know, they will leak oil, over heat and break down over time. Not that the gas charged won't leak nothing is fool proof. They just hold up longer.

I know that GM and Mopar offer Bilsteins as suspension upgrades.

As for C10 vs. C20 shocks. C20 would be for a higher gross payload.

My truck came with a steering stabilizer. I don't know if it was part of the Custom Camper option or not. Even with it on, she kinda wonders a bit. That may be to crappy old tires. I did change it, to be on the safe side. I'm sure my truck would also benefit from a front end rebuild as it probably has the original stuff.
I'm not sure on the truck's milage. The odometer reads 98k, but not sure if it has gone around once before.

I was told by a 4X4 shop, that the Edelbrocks are brutal on the streets. Thats when I was shopping for some shocks for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I installed Bilsteins on the Jeep and was extremely happy with the ride, both on and off the road.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Not a Jeep commercial, but here goes:

My opinion on Bilstein shocks also is based on Jeep Grand Cherokees - with A LOT of miles of experience: the Bilsteins are the stock factory upgrade for the "Up Country" suspension package from the Jeep factory.

Both my Grand Cherokees have the "Up Country" option. I have a '97 Orvis edition with 55,000 miles, plus my daily "beater" '96 Laredo (that I have fairly much flogged) showing property on road & off (I do real estate) & it's getting ready to roll over 250,000 miles of HARD usage in the Arkansas hills, going over pavement & way more than the usual "grocery-getter" 4-WD ever sees going over rocks & stumps on the local mountainsides.

Both still ride just about the same, best I can tell, & I know that since new the shocks have never been off either of them since they left the factory.

Several of sets of brakes & tires on the hi-mileage one, but it still rides "like new," & people I tell the mileage to hardly believe it's got almost quarter-million on it.

I'm a firm believer that the Bilsteins are worth the extra $$$.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
wesmigletz

Spinning Wheels, 68 Short Step, thanks for the input about your experiences with the Bill Stein Shocks. I like the ideea of an expected 100K + mile life. However, the shock choice will be subject to budget, depending what I spend on the front end rebuild parts, and what I ultimately pay for my engine and trans.

Regarding Edelbrock shocks, my only experience is with them on the 62. They were recommended to me by the owner of Eaton Detroit Spring. Not sure how much they helped, but they were a good bit stiffer than the parts house shocks I removed. The Vette doesn't ride nearly as nice as my 72 truck, but I doubt that it is due to the shocks... doesn't handle much better than the truck either, FWIW.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
spinning wheels

Wes, I crawled under my truck and tried to get some pics of the steering stabilizer.

It looks like a bolt on item. Unless the frame has the holes factory drilled, you would need to drill some holes for the brackets.

Hope these pics help.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #18
wesmigletz

Spinning Wheels, thank you for the pictures. I wasn't sure how the steering stabilizer was installed.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics