The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Lo78

engine swap

i have a 78 w/a inline 6 ,and a 3 speed man. tranny that has been converted to the floor. i would like to put a 350 in her. and i was wondering how much trouble that would be? will it bolt right up tp tranny? and do i have to change engine mounts ? Was thinking about keeping tne inline 6 but it needs rebuilding and it also has an intergrated head and i have heard that is not very good.the builder told me chances are my head is cracked he says 2 out 3 are with this type of head. All advice please. thanks ,Steve
Lo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: engine swap

those integrated head motors as far as im concerned are not worth the money you would get for it in scrap. The 350 will bolt right in. There may be a difference in the flywheel and the pressure plate clutch . These are readily available tho. The mounts are the same but may have to be moved CaptKaos will chime in on this when he comes in hes more of an expert

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Lo78

thanks for the info Rusty. i would of thought that there would of been some more replys
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
SBTork
Garage wrench

I know the engine stands are the same. You probably want to get new mounts but those are inexpensive and bolt to the engine, the frame side should be just fine.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The perches are different on some I-6's. http://www.persh.org/Pickup/perches.htm
Old 03-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

I done this swap with mine. everything bolted up fine. i didnt have to move the motor mounts and used the original 3 speed that was behind the 250 6cyl. i did put in a new zoom clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. i also changed out the crossmember for the rear trans mount so i could tuck the exhaust up tighter. i'm running long tube hedmans and 40 series flowmasters..........it's an easy swap, not the major pain i thought it would be..............
Attached Images

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Lo78

what cross member did you use and why did you need to change that steve
Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
fast75
Go Hard or Go Home!

i used the one from the '77 donor truck i had. it had a 350 in it. if i remember right, the one on the '75 hung down too far on the driver side. i was gonna have to custom bend (ball peen hammer) the exhaust tube right behind the collector flange. hope this helps you.........................

2008 Dodge crew cab. YEAH, it's got a hemi, your ass is going to jail quick.

Some day's, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints................................
fast75 is offline   Reply With Quote