The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Valve Covers (Before I Buy)

Ok I currently have these valve covers:

I like them because they are chrome and have the bowtie and say Chevrolet on them. But they are stamped steel and I'm getting away from that, because of my ever lasting leaking problem.

I plan to go to a cast aluminum valve covers.

Here are the only two I have found so far that I would even consider getting:
Edelbrock no signature:

Edelbrock w/ signature:

I would really like to have a chrome cover. I also need to stay with stock height due to EGR valve intereference. Is anyone using either of the two shown above? How do you like them have you had any problems?

Here is what I want but haven't been able to find:
Cast Aluminum
w/ Bow Tie, Chevy, Chevrolet, or GM on Covers
Plain if above is not available (I dont like ball milled)
Stock Height (low profile)
Chrome Finish

If any of you know of some good covers that meet atleast a couple of the things I listed above please let me know.

The two Edelbrock covers above are around $70 from Jegs.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

What are you using for gaskets with your stamped covers? I have never had a cork gasket that stayed sealed for a long time. I have used the metal core rubber fel pro valve cover gaskets with the short load spreaders on stock stamped covers with no problems.

If you haven't tried that, I would before I spend the money for the cast covers.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Here you go.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/pro...scid=16&rdir=1

I have their plain valve covers and love them. Nice thick flange and all. I'm the other way around, I don't like logos on the valve cover.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:24 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, and you can buy them from Summit cheaper.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #5
PHOENIX

Thanks for the link Mike. I found some I really like.

I like these ones:

I agree with you though. I'm not a big fan of company names or logo's on products. It must be done in good taste. The only company name I really like to see on my truck is Chevrolet!

Are these stamped out of aluminum or are they cast? Cast wont bend easily like the stamped right?

PS:
I have been using the Fel Pro rubber gaskets (orange).
Old 12-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

They are billet aluminum, what the hell ever that means.

No, they are not stamped for sure. Cast I guess. They are some real nice covers. Nothing cheap made here. I highly recommend them to anyone.

I have a lot of Billet Specialities stuff on my truck. Pricey, but well made and worth it IMO.

Read my user text.

OH, and one more reason I went with the plain instead of a bowtie or Chevy logo is I wanted three holes instead of the usual two. I looked everywhere for aluminum covers with three holes and no one makes them. Can find them in stamped steel but I wanted aluminum. So, I drilled another hole on the passenger cover for a push in oil filler cap. The logo would have been in the way of this hole. I would most definetely went with the Chevrolet logo if they would have come with three holes though.

Now before you go and buy them, a word of warning. Polished aluminum is not for a lazy person. They require cleaning and polishing to keep them looking real nice. I don't mind it myself, but I don't drive my truck a lot so it's not as big of a deal. Chrome is a lot easier to keep clean, but stamped steel sucks, IMO. Looks cheap and sleazy too me. I've had three different sets of chrome stamped steel and was never satisfied with any of them.

I wish someone made chromed aluminum covers. I have not been able to find any, and believe me, I looked every damn where. But, polished aluminum looks great and is more of the look I was after. It has a much classier look to it I think. I think the polished stuff looks better, or is it just because it's more expensive that makes it look better?

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

YO! EDDIE!
I have a set of those edelbrock covers on my spare 350 in the backyard. I dont like em. Plus I doubt that engine is ever going to run. Wanna trade? I like the looks of your better and that engine is jsut to look at right now
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:59 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tom,

I thought I told you about leaving stuff laying around in the back yard.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 09:26 PM   #9
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

Have been trying to find those valve covers but in black with red lettering. Any body seen them ?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:21 AM   #10
BigRed

Hey Eddie, I agree, those are some kick-a$$ covers. I like the scripting on them. Very classy!

Paul, I haven't seen the black with red lettering. The only thing I've seen close are the krinkle looking ones that you can find in the summit and jegs catalogs.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
PHOENIX

Tom: If you like these covers (my current) we can work something out. But I think I want to get these other covers, I really like the look of them.

Mike: How do you clean them? I know you can polish them by hand with a good polish. But I got sick of that along time ago. I have aluminum rims on my truck and I used to polish them. No I just use the Eagle One aluminum cleaner spray. It works pretty damn good for here and there work. But you should still polish every once in awhile to help with scratches and stuff. Will these clean up nicely with a spray? Are these affected by engine degreasers? Just curious.

PS does anyone know what kind of baffles these have? The baffles in my current covers restricts oil coming in big time (I HATE IT!) I should have drilled them before I installed them. I'll drill these new ones if need be.

EDIT:
Here are the questions I emailed to Billet Specialties. If any of you know the answer please let me know. I have no idea how long it will take for them to respond.
1. Are these cast aluminum, if not then what are they?
2. Are these available with chrome finish?
3. How do you recommend cleaning them if polished?
4. Can I use spray on cleaners like Eagle One in between polishings?
5. Is the polish finish affected by engine degreasers or any other engine chemicals?
6. Where can I buy them the cheapest ?

Mike I wasn't able to find these covers on Summitracing.com, but I haven't tried calling them yet. I'm sure they can get them, I hope for cheaper too.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 12-20-2002 at 12:21 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:29 PM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Eddie what about something like this? Santa's little helper is telling me I'll be getting these for my centerbolt heads Also here's the link to the others. They state if they're stamped or cast. http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Prof...ve_covers.html

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:53 PM   #13
PHOENIX

I looked into those awhile back and I like them, except they are taller then stock and would interefere with my EGR vavle. I hear there is a spacer or something you can buy that moves your EGR up alittle, does anyone have a link for that?
Old 12-20-2002, 03:27 PM   #14
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I saw Summit has them but only for certain intakes from Edelbrock. Look at Edelbrock's EGR spacer #1476. This is the only thing I could find for a chevy. Everything else was for a rustang

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

they are cast aluminum. From what I understand, billet is a piece of cast aluminum stock and the piece is ground from this piece.

No chrome finish.

I polish mine with polish Hollywood's Billet Polish. This is some good stuff. The polish American Racing sells for the Torq Thrusts works great, but damn that stuff is high. The Eagle One Aluminum Wash I use for my wheels is a good cleaner and won't hurt the finish. Engine degreaser would kill them in a hurry. Eagle one has Billet polish also.

http://www.eagleone.com/products/pro...06&itemid=1008

I know Summit sells Billet Specialities stuff because I buy it from them. They may not stock it or list it but I'm sure you will be able to get it from them. Billet Specialities sells their own stuff on their site, but it's at list price. Too much.

Also, the baffles they use are the kind you have to bolt in. They are not installed when you get them. They come with all hardware to install the baffles. First class stuff. They would take forever to pour oil through, especially 8 quarts like I have to. One thing I started to do was instead of installing the breather baffle, use a baffled grommet instead. Then you could remove the breather, grommet and all when pouring in the oil.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-20-2002, 04:09 PM   #16
PHOENIX

Billet is when they take a chunk of aluminum, as far as i know extruded aluminum and they machine the part from there. If thats what they are doing with these then that price is pretty damn good. But it is more likely a stamp or cast. Cast I hope!

Im glad to hear that the baffles dont come installed. Using a baffled grommet is what I planned to do

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:14 PM   #17
PHOENIX

For those who are curious:

Here is the response from Billet Specialties:

1) yes they are cast aluminum

2) no, they are no available in chrome

3)we use either Wenol metal polish or Mothers Billet meteal polish.

4)as long as there is no caustic cleaners in it, use the quick detailer.

5)any polished finish is affected by degeasers and chemicals

6)There are many places that sell our product, as far as who is the cheapest I do not know.

---end of email---

What do you guys think about getting a clear powder coat finish on these?
Old 12-21-2002, 12:13 AM   #18
78chevstepside

Talking

I have the top chrome valve covers with the chevrolet writtin on them. They are a challenge to put oil in. 78 stepside 355 4 bolt wolverine cam 1.94 heads 2000 stall converter
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #19
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I like these.

How about these.

Both availble on www.ebaymotors.com
Old 12-23-2002, 01:22 AM   #20
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

bottom ones are nice g
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #21
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

GCHEMEST-You should get some of those with BAD BOW TIE
engraved into them, with the flames around the engraving.