The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
badblu97
Double 6's

So I have a frame clean-up question......

Im starting the clean up process on the frame of my truck, mostly the front crossmember. I have a decent little pressure washer, what chemical should I use? Ive heard purple power, let it sit and get to washin' but Im thinking maybe a chemical with the mixing thingy on the pressure washer.....I appreciate the feedback!!

1966 LWB Custom Cab (sold)
1982 Short Fleet (under the knife)
1998 S10 2wd Fleet
2007 Chevy Silverado Crew
2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
pokethesmot
profeshinaly unimployed

Re: So I have a frame clean-up question......

i had a friend that used gojo once

"having mud flaps is like asking for a smaller trophy"
pokethesmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
keith61760

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblu97 View Post
Im starting the clean up process on the frame of my truck, mostly the front crossmember. I have a decent little pressure washer, what chemical should I use? Ive heard purple power, let it sit and get to washin' but Im thinking maybe a chemical with the mixing thingy on the pressure washer.....I appreciate the feedback!!

I used the degreaser for pressure washers and it did pretty good. Still ended up having to scrub by hand to get the caked on stuff off.
keith61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

I use either Purple Power or Castrol super clean in a garden (pump-up) sprayer. Your trigger finger will thank you. If you leave it on too long it'll take off paint, but if the grease is really thick it may take two applications. My little 1300 psi pressure washer does a really good job. Just remember to keep that stuff off of your hands and out of your eyes.

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
badblu97
Double 6's

Awesome!...the frame and suspension has some POR 13 that I did a half a$$ job on, so Im looking to get all that off too. Truthfully, I dont care if it strips it down to bare steel. ( In fact, I wish it would!!)

1998 S10 2wd Fleet
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i used spray on stuff called gunk and then used the power washer.. ive done it on several cars like that

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
85Bowtie

First of all you need to scrape all the caked on stuff off. Then, I usually spray on Gunk Engine degreaser, let it sit, then spray on Simple Green and let it sit some more. Then hit it with the pressure washer WITH a mixture of simples green. It works better the warmer it is outside. Might have to do it twice if it's real bad. Then spray off with pressure washer and only water. Never had any luck with Purple Power. Dabbing on a little Parts Washer fluid over the heavily greasy ares before you do all of that works really good too.

Last edited by 85Bowtie; 03-23-2009 at 08:04 AM.
85Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I agree, Simple Green is the stuff I have the best luck with.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
blink32

Have you thought of hitting up one of the local equipment rental places and renting a pressure steam/hot water sprayer? I own one but I know the local rates on them are reasonable. 1000psi for 4hrs is $60, full day $80. Or the 3kpsi is $115 for a full day. $80 could be worth it once you figure in the amount of chemicals you'd have to buy plus your time.

I swear by the one I own. Was expensive at the time but there was disposable income all those years ago.
blink32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gmcguy View Post
I Castrol super clean in a garden (pump-up) sprayer. Your trigger finger will thank you. If you leave it on too long it'll take off paint, but if the grease is really thick it may take two applications. My little 1300 psi pressure washer does a really good job. Just remember to keep that stuff off of your hands and out of your eyes.
Bingo we use it on heavy construction equipment this stuff works plain and simple

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Alex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Bingo we use it on heavy construction equipment this stuff works plain and simple
Cleans the bathtub awesome too!
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
badblu97
Double 6's

Alrighty, I used Purple Power, it wasnt too bad dirty wise, so it worked fine with the pressure washer. Thanks for all the help!!!!

1998 S10 2wd Fleet
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
red caddy

When I've got a real mess like that to clean up, I hit the dollar store and buy a case of the cheap oven cleaner. Scrape the real heavy grease and dirt off, soak it with oven cleaner, (don't let it dry) hit it with my 3200 pressure washer and hot water from the drain cock on the hot water tank. (kill 2 birds with one rock, LOL) It even strips some paint and light rust. I usually blow it dry, while the H/W tank is catching up, and do a few laps with a scraper and a marine tooth brush on the hard spots, then hit it again with the oven cleaner and P/W. I think the hot water is the key.

When I'm done being anal about how clean I want it, I dilute Simple green or the purple stuff about 5 : 1, and P/W it again, (hot water) Seems to neutralize all the caustics in the oven cleaner and pulls a lot of oil and grease out of the cast iron and aluminum parts. Preservation is up to you, but I like Nasson 2 part epoxy primer, covered with single stage acrylic enamal, with catylist, Pretty tough and easy to repair later. RED
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote