The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
cljimmy72

Questions on 72 Gmc bed wood

Looking for some advice on what direction to go with my next set of bedboards. First question is what knid of wood came in these beds from the factory? I installed oak boards approximately 7 years ago and I'm not happy with the way it looks now. Painted medium blue to match the truck color as it came from the factory. Truck was restored to original as it was my grandfather's truck and a tribute to him. NO-I don't want to stain and/ or clear the boards. What prep do I neeed to do to the boards to get the paint to stick. Previous advice was to shellac the boards first then paint. Disaster-paint bubbled off just before my first show. Sanded back down and tried another method with a little better sucess but after five years it is starting to lift again. Some advice I've heard is to use Dupont Corvette sealer as a primer. Another piece of advice is to use red oak because it is less likely to cause me problems. This truck is not a driver-show only. Sorry guys/gals it is the only think I have left of my grandfather as he passed away several years ago - that is why I don't drive it.
cljimmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
b-rad
Account Suspended

Re: Questions on 72 Gmc bed wood

the wood was pine
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
cljimmy72

That must be yellow pine. The original bed took alot of abuse for years and was still faily sound. I wonder if this would hold the paint better...Thanks B-rad
cljimmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
cdowns

have you tried boat paints and primers
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
b-rad
Account Suspended

this is from gmc Paul's web site

The bed wood in the Chevrolet & GMC trucks was originally a southern yellow pine. The Advanced Designed Trucks bed wood came from the factory treated with a combination of linseed oil and lampblack, giving it a dull black color. The boards were held down by metal strips between the boards which were also painted black . The later model trucks came with the bed wood painted the same color as the exterior of the trucks. Many choose to use a variety of clear finishes to bring out the beauty of the wood grain. When purchasing a clear finish for this purpose, be sure to get a finish that is UV resistant to reduce the potential damage from the suns UV rays. Most marine type varnishes will meet this criteria, most highly recommended are those developed specifically for salt water application by the marine industry. Polyurethane is also a excellent choice in a clear finish due to its long lasting finish that withstands salt, & moisture extremely well.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote