The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
71C10SWB

5-Speed Trans Question

Hey guys,
I'm new to the board. I just picked up my '71 from SWB (it was listed in the For Sale ads on here) a couple of weeks ago. I've got a few things I'm contemplating.

The truck came with a 350/Powerglide combo whan I got it. It runs good, but it tops out at around 60. (Originally a 6 cyl/stick.) I would like to go back to a stick eventually and was wondering about running a mid-90's Chevy 5-speed. My father-in-law had a '93 with the 350/5-speed combo and that seemed like a nice combo.

Here's my questions:
1. What's the offical designation for that tranny (I think it was a NV 3500).
2. It was probably a hydraulic clutch, but was it a slave cylinder that could be replaced with a bellcrank and linkage or will I have to convert to hydrualic?
3. Is anybody running this combination? Any pictures?

Thanks,
Brent
71C10SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 5-Speed Trans Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlassSMan View Post
Hey guys,
I'm new to the board. I just picked up my '71 from SWB (it was listed in the For Sale ads on here) a couple of weeks ago. I've got a few things I'm contemplating.

The truck came with a 350/Powerglide combo whan I got it. It runs good, but it tops out at around 60. (Originally a 6 cyl/stick.) I would like to go back to a stick eventually and was wondering about running a mid-90's Chevy 5-speed. My father-in-law had a '93 with the 350/5-speed combo and that seemed like a nice combo.

Here's my questions:
1. What's the offical designation for that tranny (I think it was a NV 3500).
2. It was probably a hydraulic clutch, but was it a slave cylinder that could be replaced with a bellcrank and linkage or will I have to convert to hydrualic?
3. Is anybody running this combination? Any pictures?

Thanks,
Brent

NV 3500 should be correct if it has the integral bell housing.

Yes it was hydraulic. Anything is doable but I think it would be a challenge to convert it to manual. There is at least one thread on it somewhere on here.

I just picked up a 5 speed out of a full size '88 Chev PU to put behind the big block in my '69 but I won't be swapping it until I get the '71 4x4 done.

You might try the Google search box at the top of the page. Click on the circle in front of the 67-72chevytrucks.com then type in 5 speed.

Oh, and to the board

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-27-2009 at 06:50 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
muddobber
muddobber

iv got a 98 model 5 speed in my 72 that was originally automatic. not a real difficult task completely redid my truck including new cab and this swap when i was 18 by myself
muddobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
muddobber
muddobber

you'll need clutch petal ass. and the clutch master cylinder. i used a the original mounting bracket for the master cylinder too. ill get some pics 2 morrow
muddobber is offline   Reply With Quote