The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

rear disc brakes

hey i need help with this bracket .i took the axles off and installed the brackets they fit but when you put the rotors on and the calipers the 2 bolt that hold the caliper to the bracket how can you get those bolts in there and the nuts .what keeps them attached to the bracket .i can slide the bolts in from the back but you can't put the nut on .help this is installing 95 impala ss brackets.
Attached Images

EAST

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigasspimp/?saved=1
BIGPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
19GMC63

Re: rear disc brakes

I'm confused.

I thought you recieved brackets from captinfab? That's weav1's set up in the pic. It would help if you took a pic of your brackets, calipers, rotrs, ect and not use someone else's. I thought captinfab's used a weld nut anyways.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334885

Irregardless, like Joe said, just ask him. Maybe they're not for impala calipers/rotors like the other guy's were?
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The brackets that BIGPIMP got from me are the ones for the Impala SS rotors and calipers. The brackest I made have the spacers stich welded onto them. He has PM'd me and I replied, and am now waiting to hear back. At this point I'm not sure what the issue is, but we'll get it figured out. I told him to get a pic or two also.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The brackets that BIGPIMP got from me are the ones for the Impala SS rotors and calipers. The brackest I made have the spacers stich welded onto them. He has PM'd me and I replied, and am now waiting to hear back. At this point I'm not sure what the issue is, but we'll get it figured out. I told him to get a pic or two also.

i have a pic of what i'm talking about i have the bracket mounted then when it comes time to put the caliper braket on i can't get the bolts in there look at this pic and you will see
Attached Images

EAST

Old 03-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

the rotors i have don't have as much space or opening .and they are brand new

EAST

Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPIMP View Post
the rotors i have don't have as much space or opening .and they are brand new
So the issue you're having is either the bolt head or the nut is hitting the rotor, correct? Do you still have the brand and part number of the rotors you got?

I'll do some more checking and get back to you.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

Quote:
So the issue you're having is either the bolt head or the nut is hitting the rotor, correct? Do you still have the brand and part number of the rotors you got?

I'll do some more checking and get back to you.
i just want to say i am thankful that you are taking the time to help me .i bought the rotors and pads in a package deal on ebay .i am going to take the rotors to oreillys to compare .i see a little more space behind the rotor in the opening in the pic .here is a link to see the rotors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

EAST

Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

the space that i have put red in is what i'm talking about .i'm just wandering if they sent me the wrong rotor .but when i look at the pic in weav1 thread the space looks the same as my rotors .so i wonder how he got the bolts in there .the second pic is weav1 they look about like my rotors
Attached Images

EAST

Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

i was thinking do they make a tap that would make threads in the metal .captainfab welded spacer on there and if i could just make threads in the spacer then my problem would be solved .then the bolts that he supplied would just screw into the spacer see below
Attached Images

EAST

Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Going to a bigger bolt is not recommended since you would have to oversize the holes in the caliper bracket.

Is the problem interference with the rotor? Or access to the nut?

If it's access, you can weld non-locking nuts to the plates. Remove the plates and bolt up the caliper bracket. Then tack weld the nuts to the plate. When you re-assemble use loc-tite.

If it's clearance you would probably want to fill the bolt holes, drill and tap for the bolts provided. Assemble with loc-tite. Or install threaded inserts.

This is why I recommend buying all of the parts from one source, but that's a whole nother issue.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The issue that BIGPIMP is having is an interference with the bolt head, (or the nut depending on which way it is used) and the inner lip of the rotor. I have explained the options to him via email and I'm waiting to hear how he would like to remedy this issue. Future brackets will have a threaded hole in the bracket to avoid further confusion.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

I'm with Joe on this one. Looks like the bracket may be installed backwards. Captain?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
Going to a bigger bolt is not recommended since you would have to oversize the holes in the caliper bracket.

Is the problem interference with the rotor? Or access to the nut?

If it's access, you can weld non-locking nuts to the plates. Remove the plates and bolt up the caliper bracket. Then tack weld the nuts to the plate. When you re-assemble use loc-tite.

If it's clearance you would probably want to fill the bolt holes, drill and tap for the bolts provided. Assemble with loc-tite. Or install threaded inserts.

This is why I recommend buying all of the parts from one source, but that's a whole nother issue.

why not make the whole in the caliper bracket bigger it goes from a 7/16 to a 1/2 inch which the bolts i have almost goes thru there now .will that little bit bake the caliper bracket weak .if you turn the bracket around so that the spacer is on the back side the rotor will rub .captain fab is right the spacer needs to be a nut from now on .i am going to try to use a die to make the spacer a nut .then i think it will work .i will post further progress tomorrow .see where the spacer is in the orignal post by weav1
Attached Images

EAST

Last edited by BIGPIMP; 03-29-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
i understand that, but if he has the bracket backwards the spacer will push the bolt head or nut closer to the rotor, in that pic you can't see the spacer....so is it on the rotor side??
I think he has them on right. If the bracket was on backwards, there would be a real serious interference issue. I don't remember who's pic that is with the rusty rotor, but I don't think there is a spacer on the rotor side. None of these pics are of BIGPIMP's installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
I'm with Joe on this one. Looks like the bracket may be installed backwards. Captain?
The bracket can be installed backwards, but I don't think that is the issue. This is largely an oversight on my part in trying to get BIGPIMP his brackets very quickly. When these brackets do not have a threaded hole, the inner lip of the rotor needs to be removed for bolt head clearance. As I said earlier, future brackets will have threaded holes for the caliper
This should prevent further issues
Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
None of these pics are of BIGPIMP's installation
If that's the case I'm out of here. I will not help those who are deceitful in posting.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
If that's the case I'm out of here. I will not help those who are deceitful in posting.
wow ,that was not right i was not being deceitful .i was working with what i had .i don't have a set up all i have is the brackets attached to my axles .trust me captainfab and i have worked this out ,fredt i'm working on getting a camera .

to be honest on this setup there doesn't need to be a spacer just thread the bracket .i think the space very with the rotors you get .here is some pics
Attached Images

EAST

Last edited by BIGPIMP; 03-29-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
BIGPIMP
PIMPING RIDES

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
they way you went about it was kinda shady.....you should have explained those pics were not your parts.....we were just trying to help and were being fed some mis-information
beside the fact you should have used pm's to communicate with john, i know he is a stand up guy and will do whatever he can to help
take it for what it is worth....just my opinion

glad to hear you guys got it worked out

the end

EAST