The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
1970CustomC10350

Engine Mounts-Stands?

Hey there Everyone! I'm trying to get up to speed on mounting options for 67-72 pickups. We have a 71 3/4 ton that we are putting a 400 small block with a 4spd. in. It had a 327 with a 4spd. when we got it. The motor was junk so I pulled and swapped in a 400. Anyway, while I was pulling the motor I noticed the clutch linkage didn't look right. The Z-bar seemed to be at a pretty good angle (like the frame bracket was mounted to far forward or the engine was setting to far back, closer to the firewall than it should be). Thinking maybe we had the wrong combination of linkage parts I made a trip to the salvage yard and came back with a diffrent Z-Bar, clutch pushrod and frame bracket. This combination of parts still didn't remedy the problem. I measured the holes for the Z-bar frame bracket on the donor truck and they are the same as what I have. I have been searching this forum for answers and after reading a thread on big block motor mounts byTx Firefighter I am wondering if that is my problem.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=122645
The engine mounts or frame stands I have, look alot like the ones he is refering to. If a guy swapped a small block in where a big block was would the engine set back further than it should be in relation to an original small block truck? This truck was oringally a big block truck with an automatic. To me it seems like the ball stud for the Z-bar seems a little low as well. I know I can probably fab something up and make it work but, I want try to get it as close to factory operation as possible. The previous owner told me he had a hard time finding a driveshaft for this combination. With the engines current position you cannot remove the HEI distibuter without first removing the cap.

Running a straight edge across the front flat portion of a 350 cylinder head on our other truck down to frame revealed over inch diffrence in location relative to this truck. I know if I move it forward I will have to come up with a diffrent driveshaft but, I would rather have it right to begin with. Any help on this would be great. Thanks
1970CustomC10350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
chev-obsession

Re: Engine Mounts-Stands?

here is a thread that might help you http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=333240

Last edited by chev-obsession; 03-27-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: just realized it was a bigblock truck, not a 6 cylinder
chev-obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I think I would get a set of SB V-8 stands and use them. You should be able to find a stock drive shaft to fit. You would probably need the two piece drive shaft if the mounts were in the forward holes in the frame. The big block stands are worth a few bucks so don't chuck them in the trash bin. If you can't find any V-8 stands locally I have a couple extra pair of them. PM me.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-27-2009 at 09:51 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
airdale94

Yes that is a good thread! Sorry I diddn't get back to you on your last post "70Cust" you should've PM'ed me. Yes the frame bracket is what I was talking about. I thought they were the same ( V-8's and 6 cyl. ) just turned around. Mine is a 6 cyl. turned around, and it works. Now I see they are different. To make matters worse if you read the applications for V-8 headers in the the back of LMC's catalog the Chevy dealers did modifications to the Z-Bar mounting configuration moving it forward ( I think ).
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
1970CustomC10350

Do you guys think the small block frame stands will move the engine forward?
chev-obsession it looks like your engine ball stud is screwed directly into the hole just below the dipstick tube or am I missing something?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
1970CustomC10350

No problem airdale94. This board moves very fast. I just assumed it got pushed back a few pages. I have seen a couple of diffrent combinations out in the salvage yard so it is a bit confusing to me. I have two diffrent clutch pushrods and two diffrent frame brackets with matching Z bars. Plus the truck came with headers.

Last edited by 1970CustomC10350; 03-27-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970CustomC10350 View Post
Do you guys think the small block frame stands will move the engine forward?
chev-obsession it looks like your engine ball stud is screwed directly into the hole just below the dipstick tube or am I missing something?
There are two sets of holes in the frame. If you put the V-8 stands in the forward set of holes it will, yes.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
1970CustomC10350

The current mounts are already in the front holes. Using the genuine small block v-8 stands will move the engine further forward?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
1970CustomC10350

Update: With the blizzard we had the weekend before and working last weekend I haven't made it out to the salvage yard to look for small block stands. I went ahead and moved the clutch bracket back about 1-1/4" by welding an extension to it and drilling a new hole. So far it seems to be working fine. I'm pretty sure I am using big block linkage parts. They seemed the easiest to use with the engine sitting where it is. I still plan on getting the right engine stands and moving the engine forward. Its moving under its own power now anyway.