The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
72step

Spark Plug Wire/Header Issues

I recently installed a set of Hedman headers with an exhaust which is an improvement from my last exhaust but with the Hedmans it seems almost immpossible for the plug wires #5 and #6 to not touch the header piping. I'd appreciate any advice to get around this minor hurdle. The new flowmaster exhaust with H-Pipe sounds downright mean! I had some hooker headers which were better as far as the wires but these hedmans are the ball type collector which doesn't require a collecter gasket and they don't leak! Thanks!
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: Spark Plug Wire/Header Issues

I have the cheaper headman long tubes and the #1 tube comes back rightr up against the #3 plug . It already burned one end up . I put a junk plug in it , heated the tube , and used a deep socket to demple the header tube . I also bought a pair of the DEI flexible heat sheilds for the plug end . Makes me want a nice set of manifolds.
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
I have the cheaper headman long tubes and the #1 tube comes back rightr up against the #3 plug . It already burned one end up . I put a junk plug in it , heated the tube , and used a deep socket to demple the header tube . I also bought a pair of the DEI flexible heat sheilds for the plug end . Makes me want a nice set of manifolds.
For me the problem is the space between the #5 and #7 is very tight. I might try the woven fiberglass boots for the plug end. For me manifolds aren't an option because the engine is built pretty stout. I could consider some other headers, but I really like the ball type collector mount. I also like the way it sounds just the way it is.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
big_al_71

I had a similar problem with my headers and the guys here recommended Accel Shorty Plugs and problem solved...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
72step

Has anyone used the Moroso or Jegs brand Spark Plug boot guards?? I'd like some feedback before I drop 50 bucks on a set. They are 6" long and I think are just right to protect the wire right where it touches the tube.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
I had a similar problem with my headers and the guys here recommended Accel Shorty Plugs and problem solved...
I have those plugs. Matter of fact I just installed them as part of this tuneup I just gave the truck. New plug wires too and the darn header discolored the plug wire a bit where it was touching. Not too bad I only ran it a mile. How do you have your plug wires routed?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
I have those plugs. Matter of fact I just installed them as part of this tuneup I just gave the truck. New plug wires too and the darn header discolored the plug wire a bit where it was touching. Not too bad I only ran it a mile. How do you have your plug wires routed?

Here is a pict i have in my office computer hope it helps if not I could take one tonight when I get home.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
72step

Wow, that's some setup you got there! Nice! I see where your problem got solved by the short plugs. My problem is not the actual plug wire boot, but the actual wire going between the header tubes. I need to get under there and play around with it to see if I can find a better way to route them. My wires are supposed to be under header wires so maybe I can tuck the one wire somehow closer to the block. I'll have to see. There's so many possible problems one can run into with headers and wires.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Mine's not pretty like Al's, but here is how I routed my plug wires. I'm also running Accel shorty plugs.
There's a couple of plugs that I have to get from underneath the truck with a combination wrench. Since I figured that out, changing plugs is no longer a problem.
Attached Images

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Musclerodz

Pay the money and get aset of Taylor wires. I have had them rest on headers and not melt them
Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
americanmusc1e

I'm running flowtech headers and summit racing 8mm wire without shorty plugs and I've never had a problem

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
kamikazekyle05

I have some of those woven boot guards. It helps, but it wont solve your problem. I have the same problem with the number 5 plug.
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Here`s my`72 with Headman Torque-steps,AC plugs,and right angles over the top.I have problems everytime I run them under.I put the headers and wires on in`04 and haven`t had a problem.I swear by Taylors,but these I just grabbed at Napa.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-29-2009 at 07:31 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
70GMCer

First of all, Hedmans are the worst headers ever made. IMO. Especially with all the room that these trucks have under the hood. Anyway, here's how I took care of my burnt wires & it's a cheap fix.

I used "Spectra" header insulation boots for plugs #5 & #6. I used Summit 8mm plug wire universal set. I used "Spectra" rubber wire separators, & then used regular wire ties to hold the wires away from all the tubes. The ties are connected to the valve cover hold downs.

This might not be "Bling" quality, but it works for me. Haven't had any problems since.

You can get the Spectra things from Advanced Auto or AutoZone, etc.
Attached Images

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
kamikazekyle05

^^^Thats what i did
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
72step

Well, I got under the hood and got creative with a few zip ties and re-routed the wires and ended up with something like 70 GMCer has and that completely eliminated the need for the boot protectors being that I have the shorty plugs. What I'd like to get is a setup like El Jay has and give it the neat look. Where did you get that setup El Jay-what brand? Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
Well, I got under the hood and got creative with a few zip ties and re-routed the wires and ended up with something like 70 GMCer has and that completely eliminated the need for the boot protectors being that I have the shorty plugs. What I'd like to get is a setup like El Jay has and give it the neat look. Where did you get that setup El Jay-what brand? Thanks
I got those from my friends at Summit Racing.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 03-29-2009 at 08:21 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
67chevemall

Mine has a big pita with #6 I have to take the header off to put it on and it just clears the header. I have the MDS red wires and they won't melt.

There was a pic on here of a very crafty guy who uses just wire ties to clean up all the wires. It looks sweet and NO wires touch each other or any steel..which is the way to go. I wish I could find the pic.....
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote