The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
towrecker

Unhappy 1963 power brakes moraine

well i bet i will get nowhere on this one but here we go i am trying to find out how far from floor to pedal in the factory moraine setup the reason is i don't have the correct rod in it i know its to long because the whole mess ...its a mess thats all i can say if anyone has a truck with that setup and would take a ruler to it i would be evermore grateful because if i knew that i could make a rod the right length and get it right the factory rod snaped over 20 years ago and my grandpa rigged it with a nightmare ...and it is broke ...thinking 1/4 x1 flat bar with no adj this time but if i don't know the length ...HELP
thanks to all who help me try and figure this out !!!the shop manual says 8.0 inches but it does not say anything about with power assist and i know they set lower in the others i have seen over the years anyways .....
towrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: 1963 power brakes moraine

There is no difference in the distance from the floor of the pedal on the factory power brake setup and the manual brake setup.

Also, the push rod is a rod not a flat, so you will need a rod to repair it. Additionally, the rod has an adjusting nut/stop nut on it.

The resting position of the pedal is determined by the rubber stop on the pedal assembly.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
TR65

towrecker,

It is pretty important that the rod be adjustable. It has to be set such that the master cylinder is allowed to fully retract plus just a little, with the pedal in the up position. The last bit of movement allows the master cylinder to vent to the resevoir. If that isn't correct, pressure can build up and you can have the brakes lock at speed.... not pretty.

Why don't you snap some pics of what you have got.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
towrecker

well as for the rod so to speak what i was looking at doing was what bendix did in the ford setup i know i said ford don't kill me but it is i kid you not a carbon copy of the chevy the whole mount and lever system it uses a flat bar instead of a rod works the same way ...the back off or slack is adjustable in the output rod of the booster with gm tool number j-7723-01 to set the play to the master 63 chevy truck shop manual page 5-39 it also says the power have a reduced pedal hight and travel but does not tell what it is ...i messed with my idea tonight whit nothing more than a guess ...stomped the brakes at 65 mph locked the thing down effortlessly i set the pedal just a hair above the gas feed but 20 min before i set it to the top like the clutch and the brakes were hard and stoping was a hard feat all the parts and all have been swaped replaced you name it on this truck i think some part is the wrong one and throwing all the linkage out of line with the pedal up where everyone thinks it should be ...will try and get pics of it in the am an and off the truck maybe thats it mixed parts but the only man to know for sure has passed on by almost 5 years now i miss him in so many ways ...anyways its got 967,879.7 miles on it can you blame it been coast to coast ran in business since new and i run it too but it is sometimes given a brake i do have 3 others that are a lot newer but close jobs i use it i will try and get a pic of the scratches on the dash by the cluster one for everytime it rolled over another 100,000 who likes scratches ...i do the dash has most memories connected to it i painted the whole truck fixed all rust and dents left the dash as is people fuss at me for that too i just grin and say nope i like it they shake there head and walk on kinda funny right ...ramble ramble ramble thats just me sorry i wish i could just go to town to the chevy dealer and just order a whole power brake setup new in a box ...well i can dream can't i while i am at it i will just order a new 63 c-30 too you have to laugh at that ...we all wish ....
hope veryone has a great nite and gets to church safe in the am
jason
towrecker is offline   Reply With Quote