The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
enaberif

Hood Brace Kit

Has anyone used those brace kits to prevent the hood warping in our trucks?

Mine has started but I want to stop it and was looking at these and they look so simple that I could probably just fab one up.

But I was wondering if someone has if they have pics?

Last edited by enaberif; 03-31-2009 at 06:39 PM.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Re: Hood Brace Kit

Most of the time worn out hinges or hinges is bad need of lubrication are the cause of our hoods buckling.I had never used the repair kits but have used thin flat strap and 3/16 th pop rivets.I have always worried about bracing that area because that spot is a safety feature,In a crash instead of shoving the hood through the windshield its made to bend and hump up.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdriver 1958 View Post
Most of the time worn out hinges or hinges is bad need of lubrication are the cause of our hoods buckling.I had never used the repair kits but have used thin flat strap and 3/16 th pop rivets.I have always worried about bracing that area because that spot is a safety feature,In a crash instead of shoving the hood through the windshield its made to bend and hump up.
Alright time to whip out the PB Penetrator
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive never seen a hood worth its weight in scrap with one of those kits once the hood has started to warp. You do need to keep the hinges properly lubed to not have this problem and frankly once the hood warps its time for a new one if your truck is anything more than a work truck or beater

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
ive never seen a hood worth its weight in scrap with one of those kits once the hood has started to warp. You do need to keep the hinges properly lubed to not have this problem and frankly once the hood warps its time for a new one if your truck is anything more than a work truck or beater
Its got a bit of warp but I'll fix it! I'll just stand and jump on it a bit
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Adams74Chevy

Maybe a silly question but what is the proper lubrication for the hinges? In the past I have used whatever was close and slippery ie, WD-40, white lithium grease.
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ive always lubed the hinges with white grease and never had any problem

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote