The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool Help me make up my mind please

I have decided to sell my 70 longbed project , but I am going to complete it first...

(Long story short is I will be looking for a CHEAP beater 67-72 truck to slowly fix up and actually use around the house (think shop truck theme) and will buy a 4WD blazer and convert it to 2wd w/ dropmember, 4-link, and bags

Before you tell me to keep the 70, that's out of the question...The 70 is too nice to be a beater but won't sell for much with it taken apart and unpainted...so I will assemble it and paint (Also already paid body guy for paint/supplies and only owe 600 more to have it fiinished)

That all being said, it will have no rust (new rockers/corners/great bed/and tailgate) a new blue paint job, cowl hood and new fenders, inners, new rad support, new 70 inner and outer grille, 2000 chevy seats w/ integral belts ,tilt column, tach dash, rod doors panels, stereo w/ box behind seat, new 355 w/ about 350-400hp, high quality rebuilt TH350, chromed out engine bay, hot coated headers and exhaust, undercoated underbody, painted frame (not powdercoat), etc.

Now, my decision

I will be running Torq thrust St 6 lug rims 20X8.5 chrome

Do I static drop it 4/6 or airbag it?

***I have to do something to the suspension because currently the springs are hacked in the front and were heated poorly in the rear and the shocks are bad.***

I have all the parts to do both at this point other than the bags and valves for the air ride and the 6" springs/shock relocators for the static drop

From watching ebay, it seems the trucks with bags have been selling better and at higher prices. I think the overall look will fit for someone wanting bags (cowl hood, 20's, chrome, rod doors panels, new seats, blue pearl paint, etc.)

Am I throwing away money spending the extra 500-700 that bags cost over static drop? Or will I get that or more back out of the truck with a well built air ride setup?

2nd thought is do I throw 700 into a 6 lug disc brake front end to truly complete the high performance look.
Your suggestions are appreciated

Ask yourself....If I were looking to buy a truck like this one

1970 C10 longbed
355 w/5000 miles on rebuild, performance cam, edelbrock carb and intake, ported and polished heads, blueprinted with matching blueprinted HEI, march pullies/brackets, chromed out ball milled engine components, detailed engine bay, Lokar tranny and gas pedal linkage/brackets
Rebuilt Th350 (5000 miles) with 2800 stall converter and performance shift kit
20" Chrome Torq Thrust ST rims with newer tires
New power brakes
New power steering
New rebuilt front suspension
New staticdrop suspension or bags TBD
Drop shocks w/ shock relocators
2" drop blocks in rear
Adjustable panhard bar
New battery (relocated to rear framerail with custom drop down alumiunum box)
New chrome high output alternator
New high flow water pump
New chrome fuel pump
All new front end sheetmetal
New chrome bumpers
Cowl induction hood (Steel)
Nice original gate
Awesome longbed
Fuel cell under bed with custom filler
2000 Chevy silverado seats with custom black/blue vinyl
Rod doors custom door panels with matching vinyl
New dash pad
Rebuilt Tach Dash with new bezel
Rebuilt Tilt steering column with billet/leather wheel
Fiberglass kick panels with MBQuart component speakers
New carpet with new chrome sill plates
New wiring
Good glass
All new locks, exterior chrome, handles, etc.
New paint job (blue pearl BC/CC)

With all that info, ask yourself........Since a truck like this costs over 20K to build,
Would I buy it for 8-10K with bags or with static drop
(and which one would make you want to buy the truck more)

And...Would having the disc front end help sell it or is it just $700 thrown away

Pictures are of the truck when I got it and what it will look like (except different rims and longbed of course) and my inspiration for the engine bay
Attached Images

Last edited by VA72C10; 04-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

Re: Help me make up my mind please

You will never get the money you have in a truck back out of it, notice how not many people do restorations as a business. I would go static drop and spend the extra cash on your next project.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
fine69

My thought is why dump more money into it to HOPE to get it back???

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

How much would you think a nicely frame off restored truck with all new or patched sheetmetal and the options I mentioned sell for?

Static Drop $ ?

Bagged $ ?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My ex-wife was notorious for making MY decisions.....

Not trying to be facetious....but what would you want different for a beater/driver than what you already have? Have I missed something? If what you already have runs and drives, in spite of the fact that you want a Blazer to play with, what is it you are after that you don't already have? Is it that you don't believe that you can equivocate the blue truck?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 04-02-2009 at 02:02 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
leddzepp

Any money you put into it now, you will probably not get back. You had a really nice shortbed you just sold, right? I would have kept that truck and fixed it up, just my.02
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
My ex-wife was notorious for making MY decisions.....

Not trying to be facetious....but what would you want different for a beater/driver than what you already have? Have I missed something? If what you already have runs and drives, in spite of the fact that you want a Blazer to play with, what is it you are after that you don't already have? Is it that you don't believe that you can equivocate the blue truck?
Exactly, I am going to look tomorrow at a couple of 1K-1,600 complete trucks that have nice 350 engines, rebuilt trannys, and decent bodies but need paint. Plan on spraypainting it flat black and slowly/cheaply fixing up things as they break with nicer parts.

I paid 3300 for my truck initially and have much more invested now and in the current state and economy would not get that back. Plus, keeping this truck is out of the question if I want to have a decent budget to build a blazer.

I have researched heavily the vehicles sold on ebay (and on here) and the nicely restored/well optioned/lightly modified trucks bring between 8-15K depending on options/accessories and quite honestly, how good the ad is.

If I could make 8-10K on the blue truck with either bags or static drop I would be happy (Hopefully it will sell for more but that depends on how much I put into it and how nice the paint and body work ends up....and of course, finding the right buyer). It will have about 12K worth of parts plus bodywork and paint and labor on top of that (About 20K total), but nowhere near that much invested because I have found lots of great deals on parts and labor.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Any money you put into it now, you will probably not get back. You had a really nice shortbed you just sold, right? I would have kept that truck and fixed it up, just my.02
THe shortbed had more rust than I originally thought...the 70 has only one cab support that needs to be redone at this point (everything else is done)

I understand that shortbeds bring more when restored, but longbeds have been bringing a fair amount as well lately.

Quote:
Any money you put into it now, you will probably not get back.
I appreciate the opinion, but what are you saying that based on? I just posted (after your post) how much I paid for the truck and haven't posted how much I will have into it when completed...

Really, all I am wanting to know is if you guys feel that the airbag suspension will help sell the truck or if the static drop would be better.

And...Would having the disc front end help sell it or is it just $700 thrown away

Last edited by VA72C10; 04-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post

I appreciate the opinion, but what are you saying that based on? I just posted (after your post) how much I paid for the truck and haven't posted how much I will have into it when completed...
I base this on the current economy and past experiences as well.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
I base this on the current economy and past experiences as well.
So would it make more sense to sell it at a loss w/ it unfinished?

From looking here I could probably only get 1500-2K tops with it just thrown back together.

Did you read my last post? I actually just went back and added several new things I forgot were on the truck including the 20" rims

How much would you pay for that truck if you were in the market for a restored truck?

Last edited by VA72C10; 04-02-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

comming from a kid that knows nothing on a budget, id fix up and drive watcha got now till a good deal on watcha want comes by....and i wouldnt throw that kinda money into a truck thinkin your gonna make some in this kinda economy..just my .02$

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
HoupPhotography

Quote:
THe shortbed had more rust than I originally thought...the 70 has only one cab support that needs to be redone at this point (everything else is done)

I understand that shortbeds bring more when restored, but longbeds have been bringing a fair amount as well lately.

Really, all I am wanting to know is if you guys feel that the airbag suspension will help sell the truck or if the static drop would be better.

And, would a $700 12" cross drilled brake front help sell the truck better than selling it with 4 wheel drums?

Ask yourself....If I were looking to buy a truck like this one
1970 C10 longbed
355 w/5000 miles on rebuild, performance cam, edelbrock carb and intake, ported and polished heads, blueprinted with matching blueprinted HEI, march pullies/brackets, chromed out ball milled engine components, detailed engine bay, Lokar tranny and gas pedal linkage/brackets
Rebuilt Th350 (5000 miles) with 2800 stall converter and performance shift kit
20" Chrome Torq Thrust ST rims with newer tires
New power brakes
New power steering
New rebuilt front suspension
New staticdrop suspension or bags TBD
Drop shocks w/ shock relocators
2" drop blocks in rear
Adjustable panhard bar
New battery (relocated to rear framerail with custom drop down alumiunum box)
New chrome high output alternator
New high flow water pump
New chrome fuel pump
All new front end sheetmetal
New chrome bumpers
Cowl induction hood (Steel)
Nice original gate
Awesome longbed
Fuel cell under bed with custom filler
2000 Chevy silverado seats with custom black/blue vinyl
Rod doors custom door panels with matching vinyl
New dash pad
Rebuilt Tach Dash with new bezel
Rebuilt Tilt steering column with billet/leather wheel
Fiberglass kick panels with MBQuart component speakers
New carpet with new chrome sill plates
New wiring
Good glass
All new locks, exterior chrome, handles, etc.
New paint job (blue pearl BC/CC)

With all that info, ask yourself........Since a truck like this costs over 20K to build,
Would I buy it for 8-10K with bags or with static drop
(and which one would make you want to buy the truck more)

That's a tough question to answer, different people are into different things. if it were ME bags would be more appealing..... but I'm just one person that some say is a little off....

I think it is going to depend on the demographic that your going after, it's really something to look at in this economy. The folks that actually have money to spend may not be so interested in a bagged truck and the static option may be more appealing to them.

Just food for thought.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
That's a tough question to answer, different people are into different things. if it were ME bags would be more appealing..... but I'm just one person that some say is a little off....

I think it is going to depend on the demographic that your going after, it's really something to look at in this economy. The folks that actually have money to spend may not be so interested in a bagged truck and the static option may be more appealing to them.

Just food for thought.
thanks, that's the type of insight I am looking for and makes a heck of a lot of sense....

but also like you said, it will come down to buyer preference...they have to like the blue and if they like the blue...do they prefer bags or springs...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
comming from a kid that knows nothing on a budget, id fix up and drive watcha got now till a good deal on watcha want comes by....and i wouldnt throw that kinda money into a truck thinkin your gonna make some in this kinda economy..just my .02$
Thanks, i don't want to throw good money after bad either, but like I said, I'm not actually putting 20K into the truck...that's the cost if I paid the online price for everything...
If someone did what I am to the truck and just ordered out of LMC/Brothers parts catalogs and paid a shop to do the body/paint, they'd spend 30K.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
HoupPhotography

Quote:
thanks, that's the type of insight I am looking for and makes a heck of a lot of sense....

but also like you said, it will come down to buyer preference...they have to like the blue and if they like the blue...do they prefer bags or springs...

I'm just guessing here...... but I don't think the color will be a deal breaker. I also think the type of buyer that has money to spend in this economy is going to be more middle age, and again guessing I think that older crowd may like a spring set-up over bags.

Some think the bags are "cool" but wouldn't necessarily buy a bagged vehicle... The goal is to make them want the vehicle instead of like it.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #16
Stock72c10
classic=of recognized value

I wouldn't pay extra for the bags, but if there were two identical trucks sitting next to each other for the same price and the only difference was the bags I would pick the bagged one. I think your choice of color and quality of body work will get you more money then your drop or fancy brakes will get you, imho. The nice thing about these trucks is you can buy them and customize them to your preferences, so if you find someone with the same preferences in wheels, color, height, etc. you will get good money. If you have someone who wants to repaint it red and put a set of Boyd's under it, you are wasting your money with your upgrades.
Stock72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Don't flame me but I would only pay that kind of money for a restored stock truck...not a modified one. But I am really two standard deviations away from the norm...LOL!

Good luck with your quest...when you go to sell it...think about offering a trade for a 2-wheel drive blazer...you never know!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
big_al_71

Vehicles with air bags look awesome when not body dropped just a nice stance without taking the inner fenders off or the rear inner bed fenders.

If two trucks side by side and the only difference is air ride or not I would go for the air ride truck for sure.

From what I notice there are three kinds of likes in this forum there are the guys that like the stock numbers matching trucks, then there is the guys that like the resto mod style not too many mods but definetly some and then you have the extremist with that in mind you are going to get all kinds of different opinions. Look at your market in your area and see what the market calls for. I know downhere in miami you will get more money all day long for a pro-touring or resto mod rather than a numbers matching.
See the cars below those are examples of the style of what cars are bringing big $$$$
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stllookn View Post
Don't flame me but I would only pay that kind of money for a restored stock truck...not a modified one. But I am really two standard deviations away from the norm...LOL!

Good luck with your quest...when you go to sell it...think about offering a trade for a 2-wheel drive blazer...you never know!
I think a lot of people share this view, myself included. When you deviate from stock, you are taking the chance that someone else shares your same tastes if you ever go to re-sell. The only exception to that is if you do a one-off total custom show truck (like Habanero) that gets magazine coverage.

Good idea offering it up for a trade too!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
OARNGESI

I think anice static drop bayde with break covers have you thought of finishing the paint but keeping all the really expensive stuff your your blazer build why sell them and take aloss when you are gona end up buying them again
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

My thoughts are, the more you modify it, the narrower your buying market becomes...A stock truck is like a blank canvas. A "done" truck has little margin for personalization.
And we all like to put our personal mark on our trucks. I say do what many here have done before. Sell as is, take a hard loss, and move on.(I think you already know that, and losing cash stinks) How much can I get it for?
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

I would finish the paint and body, put it back together, and place the ad. as several ppl have mentioned it depends on the buyer. leave it at stock height, and let the new buyer make the choice of how they want to lower it. if you were going todo the install of the static/bags, you could write that into the ad, that you could do this for the prospective buyer for a extra fee if they wanted that.
Good luck with the sale.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Pay more for a bagged truck or a statically-dropped truck? One argument will be that it had a suspension system when it was new and if it still has a suspension system, no biggee. Bags can be a plus if the potential buyer is into your hype. You gotta know you'd be hyping the bags if you were trying to sell it. But if the potential buyer had any idea that he/she might try to haul something besides a couple of bodies, then it might become a liability. I have a static drop and no qualms about using it to haul "stuff".

Regarding the cross-drilled rotors: Same argument...it had rotors before and it has them now. The only feel-good that can come from some of these upgrades will be felt by you.

Not trying to bust bubbles. There is a contingency out there that has nothing but an eye for the candy that they see, and no appreciation for what it took to make it appealing. There are people who can have any custom vehicle, or antique vehicle or whatever they want by simply writing a check. If they are into the "WOW" factors, they might be a potential buyer, but many of them are simply looking for something to show off for a little while and then turn for a profit. Those people will not be your target purchasers.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #24
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Forget what i said before...You need to keep your LB, and be patient. Save money, and buy what you want. I feel bad for people in the position to have to sell there pride and joy, but those kinda deals come up all the time. Most here, including myself, would love to have a shop truck as nice as what you already have. You have it almost done the way you like...Keep and finish that truck...I understand your desire for a Blazer, but don't throw your hard earned money away. SAVE MONEY UP. Look at "Merlot" for instance. That would have been a good foundation for a low buck truck with plenty of room to add all your ideas. Or, do the hardest, but the best thing. Save 10-20-30k and buy the baddest there is. You'll be happier that way. Keep truck, save money...We'll go ridin around in my truck to get your ya ya's. A pizza will set you behind the wheel.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Rule #1:

Don`t put money into something for sale expecting to get it back.Once you`ve decided to sell just sell and it`s all yours.I`m not saying fix things that require little money.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote