The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
sixty9boss302

Question new guy needs help

Hey everyone, i just got another gm and i need some info. Its a 1976 3/4 ton pickup in not the best condition. Body actually does not have a ton of rust (less than my 90 jimmy has) but its dented up pretty good and the interior is trashed.

The main reason i got it is for the engine. I'm want to take it out and rebuild it just so i can learn about engines. Its a 454 and i was wandering a few things. Is this engine rare? I haven't been able to find much about it on here. How much horsepower was it rated at and how much does it actually make? Also would you recommend i chilton or haynes manual? I heard that its a good idea to have both.

Got any advice for me being new to engine work? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-21-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
86SILVERADO

Welcome aboard. I'm new here myself. I never thought much of chiltons manuals. I think Haynes are better but not by much. The best bet is a shop manual. One book that will be invaluable though is HP Automotive books "How To Rebuild Your Big Block Chevy". I can't tell you much about big blocks except that if I really needed that kind of power I would probably go with a diesel because of fuel economy, nothing against big blocks I just don't have that kind of $$$ to "burn" (in the cylinders that is).

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

Norris
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #3
75stepside
*Proud Member*

the best advice i can give ya is to find someone local to you that has done it before... this way, when something stumps ya, you can always rely on them... check out some restoration websites (like mine!!! )
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:45 AM   #4
sixty9boss302

thanks guys, amazing work 75stepside. I read your whole background and progress. I wish i had the time and knowledge to do a resteration so right like that.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:46 AM   #5
sixty9boss302

does anyone happen to know the engine specs for the 454?
Old 12-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Welcome to the board.

Here is a link to my engine write up. Buys a factory manual for your truck off www.ebaymotors.com if you can find one. There are plenty of books at the book stores on how to rebuild top notch street motors. The stock 454's have plenty of torque but low on HP. A few mods however can make the BB one mean tire roasting beast. Ask the questions you like. If we can't answer it we can point you to someone who can. There is plenty of information on the web.