The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
turner15

Long term storage

I have picked up a new project truck and had some questions about storage.
I am planning on storing it for about 5 years.
I know the gas will go bad so I will try to leave the tank empty, I'll disconnect the Battery.
It is going to be parked outside on grass. Should I cover it in a tarp? I have a "car" cover that will fit it but I'm not sure what the weather will do to it (snow)
should I use the car cover then the tarp? I have been told that condensation may build up and rust it? Should I leave it uncovered?

Any advise would be great.
turner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
turner15

Re: Long term storage

Also should I leave the windows open a little bit if I cover it?
What about Mice?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner15 View Post
I have picked up a new project truck and had some questions about storage.
I am planning on storing it for about 5 years.
I know the gas will go bad so I will try to leave the tank empty, I'll disconnect the Battery.
It is going to be parked outside on grass. Should I cover it in a tarp? I have a "car" cover that will fit it but I'm not sure what the weather will do to it (snow)
should I use the car cover then the tarp? I have been told that condensation may build up and rust it? Should I leave it uncovered?

Any advise would be great.
I know it seems like an empty tank is better, but it is not, Fill it up all the way, and put a good fuel stabalizer in it. You can get this from a Boat dealer.

Take the battery out and either sell it for scrap or give it to a borad member that needs one, it will be junk in 5 years.

I would put some kind of moisture absorber like a few boxes of baking powder in the cab, right next to the rat poison, put a box or two under the hood also.

if it were me I would buy a few sheets of plywood to park it on, the worst thing is for grass to grow up and touch it, it gets dewey and promotes rust.

make sure it is clean and put a good car cover on it, but make sure it breathes, not a plastic tarp, those accelerate rust.

I would pull the plugs and squirt oil dirrectly into the cylinders and then turn it over a few times to coat the cyl walls, and make sure your rings are covered so as not to seize.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Skirkpat

Do not leave the windows open !!!

finnaly, it would be best to start it every couple of months instead of putting it down for 5 years, it can be done but it is not good on anything to leave idle that long, I would mucch rather have a 500,000 mi daily driver to drive around in, than an 85,000 mi. "survivor" that has not ran in twenty years...unless it was to restore then of course you would have a chance to fix the rotten seals, gaskets, rusty brake parts, etc...
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

Not sure how you would go about this, maybe some 2x2's or something. But don't let the cover set on the body, since when it gets wet and the sun hits it and dries. It will damage the paint, and or worse promote rust once the paint has blistered up.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
70Custom10Nut

If at all possible don't store it on the grass. Up in the North country that truck will sink in to the tundra in five years. I'm born and raised in Michigan and have seen many a vehicle return to mother earth as nature takes it's course. Put down some gravel or crushed rock to set the truck on, or even pour a slab, after all it'll be sitting for 5 years (then you have a place to build a garage since you already have the floor poured). I had mine sitting for 5 years and 3 months, while I was stationed in Europe. My storage facility was a lot in Tennessee with no sun protection. The sun/heat took it's toll on the paint and interior but any rust stayed in check. I put a new battery in, checked all the fluid levels, sprayed a little gas in the carb, and drove her 10 hours (680 Miles) to South Carolina the next day with no problems. Wet falls, cold winters and wet springs in your neck of the woods will take it toll on everything left to the elements. (I.E. unpainted or uncoated) Even consider a car port and close in the sides with the truck off the ground. I hope my babble helps, good luck. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
turner15

I know what you mean about the mud. My 71 sat for 18 years and it took 5 hour to dig her out! The whole back end was seized.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Good advice given so far.

And I'm going to stress the gas tank issue. As Skirkpat mentioned it is better stored filled with gas unless you intend to replace it anyway. The best thing to do, if at all possible, is to start it at least once a week.

Last, I would stress the rain drip rails. Make sure you clean them out of the old paint and sealer and reseal and paint them. This is one of the weakest links on these trucks in that it works stealthily from under the sealant.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
soba_03

Ok I will only mention that I have in the past bought desicant bags off e-bay and thrown under the seat. This is the same stuff that you get when you buy a gun or vitamins that little bag that absorbs moisture. You can get about any size you want. it will keep cab from getting moldy. Additionally, if your going to keep it outside I don't know if covering the windows to save interior fading would be worth wild or would cause more harm.
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
turner15

Should I but it on blocks? The tires are ok now, might be toast down the road?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Green Machine

Trucks that sit a long time tend to get rust on the bearings in the rear end and the ring and pinion. The lower part that sits in oil is ok, bit the top sides rust after the oil runs off. Likely affects the transmission too, both auto and manual. Best plan is to drive it every 6 months if possible to spin the grease around.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Green Machine

Well since we can't edit and I alway think of something else..... New gear oil in the rear would help and change the tranny oil too. Now we usually store 2 of our trucks over winter, I alway fill the tank, no gasahol, (draws water).

I buy a quart of 2 stoke oil and put in the full gas tank and put 20 -30 miles on it before parking, helps lube everything up in the engine.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I would have to say if you've got to store it for five years outside on grass then maybe you'd be better off selling it, putting the cash in a savings account and buying one nearer the time. No car likes to stand for that length of time for all the reasons people have said. If you absolutely haver to have this one then try and find somewhere to store it undercover, maybe a local farmer has some barn space he could rent out. Failing that you could get a 10 x 20 steel framed tarp shelter from Costco like I've got and put it under that. If you could get one of these ( I think mine was a round £100 sterling) and put it on some gravel or even just cheap concrete slabs that'd be a good start. What you need more than anything is airflow, sticking a tarp over it directly will rot it out in double quick time. I've been to look at a few cars over the years that have been stored under a tarp and they were all a crusty mess. Tyres will be ruined standing for five years so if its got good rubber best bet would be to get some junkyard wheels and scrap tyres on it and store the good ones threaded on a pole somewhere dark and dry.

I use moisture traps in the cab of my 67 as its a bit leaky, these are the kind of things sold to use in boats and caravans (trailers) a bag of crystals that sits over a reservoir, the crystals absorb the water from the air and eventually dissolve into the reservoir. Keeps my cab mould free over the winter. You can get proper engine storage kits that have bungs that screw into the spark plug holes in the engine with silica gel that absorbs any moisture that gets in and so stops your cylinders rusting, storage oil to protect the engine and fuel stabiliser for the gas.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Lippy has some great suggestions. I even worry about mice in dry storage. My good friend had mice get into his '63 and 2003 Corvettes in dry rental storage and destroyed over only one winter. I have tried moth balls under the hood and in the cab with limited success. I am still trying to find the best solution here. I used traps that I had to empty/refill weekly even though there were mothballs in an open cup in the cab. I would like to think there is a good solution to the mice dilemma short of putting the truck on high jack stands with "rat guards" on them.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote