The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Interior gas tank fumes

I don't smell them often, but every once in a while I get a good whif of gas and was wondering if anyone has found the source of them? Is it the sending unit cap letting them out? I have thought about globbing on the silicone around it to see if that would cure the issue but just wondered if anyone has found the cause, since everything else is sealed an/or vented outside. Until I get the cash to put in a suburban tank I don't have too many options other than dealing with the death trap behind my seat. Any ideas?
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
red71c10
The Red Menace

Re: Interior gas tank fumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcoaster View Post
I don't smell them often, but every once in a while I get a good whif of gas and was wondering if anyone has found the source of them? Is it the sending unit cap letting them out? I have thought about globbing on the silicone around it to see if that would cure the issue but just wondered if anyone has found the cause, since everything else is sealed an/or vented outside. Until I get the cash to put in a suburban tank I don't have too many options other than dealing with the death trap behind my seat. Any ideas?
Best thing to do is use your nose. Tilt the seat back forward and smell around til you find where it's coming from. Sending unit might need a new gasket. You can always get one of those panelboard gas tank covers. Most parts catalogs sell them. They are a reproduction of the original. I've never bought one, but they are only $25-30 and probably will help keep the odors down.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

My 71 smelt of Gas in the cab allot, the Gas cap on mine is pressurised but it was not making a good seal as the rubber on the back had worn out, so I replaced it with a new pressurised cap and no more smell.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
spinning wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcoaster View Post
I would replace the gasket/seal around the sending unit and the gas cap.

Over time, you are becoming desensitized to the gasoline odor and your gasoline odor problem is a worse problem than you think. Just ask your wife or girlfriend, (if you have a wife don't invite the girlfriend to come along at this time) to get in for a ride. First words will be, "It stinks like gas in here".

Check your fuel lines for leaks also. Gasoline vapors travel quite easily and may be coming from your engine compartment.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

Yep, certainly not normal. I see some great advice above, can't add much more

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

My first thought was a new gas cap, because that was my problem.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

check the rubber on the gas cap.
Slide the seat forward, removing it would be even better... its only a few bolts. Look under the sending unit... look for signs of liquid washing away the dust that is all over the tank. Then, take a flash light, and look where the filler foes into the tank. From years of idiots leaning on the gas pump handle, the solder frequently breaks at this point.
Attached Images

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 04-05-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add photo
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
72chevyk10
I built it

if your tank has evap. lines thats where mine was smellin' just replaced those and it fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
rico7769
Hybrid67

Cap replacement was a necesary solution for me, too!!! Check the seal on the back of the cap and see how bad it looks. Because you sit right next to it while driving it seems as if its coming from behind the seat. Didn't figure mine out until I worked on it in the garage with the window down and the smell was very noticeable then.
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote