The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Poor Boy is more than a rolling frame

Well....sort of.I`ve been waiting to mount the cab until I can go through the transmission so I can install it and the motor.I`d like to haul it to the exhaust guy w/o the cab to make his life easier(better job,maybe?),too.but,I wanted to clear and rearrange my little shop and the cab has been in the corner for a decade or more.I want to strip it and get it in primer before I mount it.I decided to leave the frame covered and just set the cab on there to do this.i`ll take it off again when the other work is done.I figure it`s time to get it ready rather than leave it`til the other stuff`s done.i need progress!!
Here it is:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Skirkpat

Re: Poor Boy is more than a rolling frame

Would it be better to have a Cab on it for the exaust guy so he will know where to fit it too? I do not know, but it seems when I, (admitted amatuer) try to imagine where things will be, I am always "off" a little? Would suck to set your cab and have a nice new pipe hitting the floor..
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Skirkpat

By the way, looks like a super clean cab, and Hugger Orange/White Shortbed ? Can't get much better in my opinion.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Hart_Rod

This project's been a long journey..... Glad to see it's moving forward.

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
jb4short
Damn Yankee

cool
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

forward progress..... nice......

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

I'm following your lead Tim. Not about getting started again but letting it sit for a decade or so. I gotta get out there more too! I'm gathering parts.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
GSFMECH
On the road

That's a real cool project, that cab looks like it's in great shape.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Looks great can't wait to see more
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
powell72

Looks good Tim, glad to see some progress.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
LEEVON

Cool, I can see it...are you going back to orange and white?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

I am planning on taking my truck to the exhaust shop....well I mean drive train, no cab or body. I to think this would be easier for them to get the exhaust on it like I want it. I can't imagine that you would later have issues with exhaust hitting body parts as long as the exhaust is kept below the tops of the frame rails. If you have an automatic (mine is), and plan on using stock column shift, I would have that mounted in as well when it goes for exhaust. That would be my only concern because of the funky shifting mechanism these model trucks have and there relative closeness to the exhaust system.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #13
OARNGESI

is this were it becomes a truck and not assorted parts
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
This project's been a long journey..... Glad to see it's moving forward.

R/
A small step after a long journey and alot of rest.I`ve driven it from your garage to mine,on a dolly.The cab`s from California.So,I`ve got a bit over 4,000 miles on it so far.The fenders and bedfloor supports are from KS,hood from NH,grille from NE,tailgate from WI(new take off),and bedsides from TX.I`ll figure the mileage and get back to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I'm following your lead Tim. Not about getting started again but letting it sit for a decade or so. I gotta get out there more too! I'm gathering parts.
if I get it done I won`t have any parts ir a project.Some folks just don`t understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARNGESI View Post
is this were it becomes a truck and not assorted parts
Xzakly!!! it`s project Poor Boy...using what I got.Then I found an M22,`68 327,buddy buckets.....

The color is Omaha Orange and it was a`71 C/30 Longhorn(don`t tell Andy).I can`t imagine there being any problem with body clearance.The pipes will be run off of full-length headers,over the transmission crossmember,through the trailing arm crossmember and over the axle.I`ll have him route it from there and leave extra length.From the mufflers back will be left off until I go back with the body mounted when he can bend to exit.That will either be dumping down from under the 1/4 panel like the cars or dumping down from behind the bumper.At no point will it be above or near the top of the frame.The motor`s a`68 truck 327 large journal/steel crank.It`s built to 350 hp or so and just waiting...like everything else.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Tim, are you going to get your buddy Norm to soda blast it while it's stripped? I heard he was reasonable.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
c10addict

Man Im a sucker for orange and white!! I really like that!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Poor Boy is more than a rolling frame

being in the muffler shop business for the past 25 years, i always want as much of the vehicle together as possible,especially the rear bumper and bed if the tailpipes are exiting out the rear. if it's only a rolling chassis we have only a vague idea of the final ride height- not too big of a deal on a lifted 4x4 but on a lowered 2wd it can make a difference. if it's a wood floor truck having the bed installed is a must. these are only my opinion but i have replaced the exhaust on a 71 longhorn that was too close to the wood bed a set a fire--luckily i didn't do the job initially.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Hey Tim, it's looking great. Isn't it amazing how much work you can get done when you don't spend so much time on the board..... Anyways, just keep plugging away and you will have it done before you know it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
old Chevy guy

When my Grandmother was still alive she made a quilt with a block from each state that she collected from people all over the 50 states.Sounds like your on your way to doing that with your truck!LOL
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10 View Post
Tim, are you going to get your buddy Norm to soda blast it while it's stripped? I heard he was reasonable.
Yepper!I already chemical stripped the fenders and hood.I`ll have him take the rest down while he`s here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
Man Im a sucker for orange and white!! I really like that!
Me too,always have.I guess it was called Tangier(s)Orange when offered in the production line.competition Orange!!! But,I`m not set on a color yet.A guy could change his mind a thousand times before this thing`s ready for paint.I had my 8x15 steelies powdercoated red a few years ago when I was thinking white with red accents(Interior incl paint,motor/trans,wheels,side moulding,and tailgate letters.I was thinking an old man-look with narrow whites (custom 275/60Rs and CST wheelcovers.Who knows.I`ll have a set of mags,too,for a muscle look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
being in the muffler shop business for the past 25 years, i always want as much of the vehicle together as possible,especially the rear bumper and bed if the tailpipes are exiting out the rear. if it's only a rolling chassis we have only a vague idea of the final ride height- not too big of a deal on a lifted 4x4 but on a lowered 2wd it can make a difference. if it's a wood floor truck having the bed installed is a must. these are only my opinion but i have replaced the exhaust on a 71 longhorn that was too close to the wood bed a set a fire--luckily i didn't do the job initially.
I appreciate and respect your input and will take heed.i`ll ask the guy and see what he wants.It will have a woodfloor and I`ll be making heat shields like factory.I`m looking at it from my point of view never fabbing an exhaust,not having a lift,and startin`to hurt a bit.You know better than me and now that I think about it,working totally underneath is the nature of the beast,huh?I imagine pretty much everyone has a body on their cars when they pull in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Hey Tim, it's looking great. Isn't it amazing how much work you can get done when you don't spend so much time on the board..... Anyways, just keep plugging away and you will have it done before you know it.

LockDoc
Yeah,I`m happy and sad at the same time.Although it`s great having the cab out and on the frame and all.But,I figure I lost a good 15-20 posts being away from the`puter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
When my Grandmother was still alive she made a quilt with a block from each state that she collected from people all over the 50 states.Sounds like your on your way to doing that with your truck!LOL
That would be my truck.Like a song that got Dolly Pardon famous,"A Coat Of Many colors".The fenders were Red,Black hood,Palamino Tan header panel(between grille and hood),Orange & White cab,Dark Red cowl cover,one Dark Blue and one Grapefruit door,Medium Olive Poly & white lower bedsides/wheelhouses,Medium Blue headboard,and a Medium Gold Poly tailgate.It`s a good thing the glovebox door is chrome.Although I could prolly match any one of these colors with the ones I have.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-07-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Argh!!!
Just when i`m ready to bust loose on some progress I hit a drawback.Namely,a dislocated let shoulder.I can`t start the siding job I have lined up and ready to roll on it.I`ve barely worked since the first of the year.So,it`s all on hold.I`m going to try to do the transmission off the bench.I can use both hands,just can`t move the arm/shoulder joint(rotater cup).It happened tuesday about 8pm.I was out of the emergency room and home by 11:30 when it popped back out getting out o the truck.Back to the hospital and the next physician and assistant tryed everything all night until they gave up and had an Orthopedic come in around 9 am.He finally got it.The whole time I couldn`t have even water in case I had to get surgery.I was up from 4 am Tuesday until I nodded off trying to post last night around 9pm.I woke up and went to bed around 11:30.I guess I should start a new thread on restoring me!
Here`s some bits and pieces that will be this truck since it`s going to be awhile till they go on:
8x15s...

Hood...

Doors,fenders,& bedsides...

Tim

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
72 Super

Hey Tim,Sorry to hear about shoulder, hope it gets better soon! nice little parts stash you got there atleast you can go out there and look at them for the time being lol,
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
OARNGESI

Sorry to hear about the shoulder
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

It`s frustrating,alright.I have a spot at Carlisle and will have to do it with one arm.I doubt I`ll bring anything too big.

Tim

Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
sierragrande71

Hey! that emblem in the last picture belongs to me. Did you get into my parts stash Special K? J/K LOL.
sierragrande71 is offline   Reply With Quote