The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
soba_03

Angry Where the H*** is the Antifreeze coming from?

I know that this should be one of the easiest thing to diagnose, but it's making me crazy. I know it's not hoses one was new back in October and of course I assumed that the other 40 year old hose was the culprit Monday last week so NOW it's new.

I'm loosing 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon on the ground. I can't see it comming out of water pump which is New in October when I put the new motor in. With the motor running I see nothing. With it shut down I see nothing but the crossmember is pooling antifreeze. I've checked the inside of the waterpump pully thinking that if it was leaking out of the weep hole that the inside of it would be either wet or at least covered with Gunk from leaking antifreeze, nothing. intake bolts dry, water pump mount bolts dry, radiator dry, There is just nothing obvious. It's driving me crazy.

Now I know that I'm not building pressure in the system on a regular basis. It's got a new cap and new hoses. So i'm quite sure that somewhere I have a leak because it won't pressurize. I can watch the thermostat open with the temp gage. It's normal and actually it runs really cool with a new 195 deg thermostat in it also when the engine was built.

This is a venting post, I'm so frustrated with this thing. I mean I'm still driving it cause it's not overheating not even close but it's Marking it's turff everytime I park it, and I can't find it. So any thoughts would be a help.

Thanks.......
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Where the H*** is the Antifreeze comming from?

A bad freeze plug maybe?
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
A bad freeze plug maybe?
I second this. Or maybe a bad hose clamp?

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
ERASER5

What hose was replaced? Sometimes heater hoses are hard to seat on bent up tubes. Old clamps can make you "think" it tight. And of course there is the dreaded freeze plug.

Good luck.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

I would definitely check all the freeze plugs.

Buddy of mine built up an engine from PAW. The only work he did not do for the assembly was installing the cam bearings and freeze plugs (done at PAW). After we get it started up, it was leaking a little but we didn't know where. Moments later, the freeze plug blew out and dumpped all the coolent.

It sucked as we had to pull the engine to fix but no problems since.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
soba_03

Heater hoses and clamps were all changed back in October with the motor change. I didn't change the lower hose because the FLAPS didn't have the right hose and I didn't want to put a flex on it. So Monday last week I ordered the correct lower hose and had them deliever it to the store and picked it up and put it on. I've wiped all the hose fittings nothing shows leaking. Freeze plugs I guess could be the problem. But they were new and sealed well for 6 months since I put the new motor in back in October. I had the block Boiled and checked and had the shop put the freeze plugs in along with the cam bearings so I didn't have to mess with them. I can't see the freeze plugs behine the motor mounts.. Oh may that is going to so S*** if it is... I guess that I'll go there and check it later this week. Maybe I should set up to do a potential recreational water pump change too...... If it was still the old smoking 307 I'd be tempted to do the unthinkable and just stuff it full of some bars leak....LOL

No really I do better work than that...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
mrein3

Do you have a catch can or recovery tank? If not I'll guess it is simply running out the overflow tube. Spring is usually when I lose the most as it is warmer so everything runs warmer so you need more room in the system for expansion.

I purchased a recovery tank from a board supplier. They used all GM parts including a washer fluid bottle so it looks stock and keeps me from panicing when I see a green puddle under my truck the first time I take it on the roads after all the salt is cleaned up.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
soba_03

Still LMAO, you know I posted this so that I could be assured that I was missing something and to get some sence that It was something obvious and I just hadn't found it yet...

Then you all post a Freeze Plug, I hadn't thought of them actually. I have never had a freeze plug leak or go bad in all of my 41 years but it could be.....

What a horrible thought... I'd rather change the water pump....LOL.

It seems like it's in the front of the motor which leads me to a water pump. it's pooling on the front side of the crossmember. I would think that if it was a freeze plug that it would run toward the back of the motor/motor compartment. But I've seen things appear away from the actual leak....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
soba_03

No MY 68 just has an overflow tube. I do have an old recovery tank. I guess that I could Tack it to the fender and see if it goes away.

Question to you... How much below full does yours run? Like I had earlier said I'm like 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon low. It doesn't heat up at all....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
kulturekat

well liquid can travel down things and around things until it gets to its dropping point so its very possible that the leak is away fromt he sign on the pool.
kulturekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
70 Suburban
Rods

The front seal on my water pump failed. no water at the wheep hole. but water front behind the pully down low.
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

There is a plug behind the motor mount hard to see and unless its dripping pretty good it can be hard find.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
69halfton

had this problem myself. everytime i parked the truck, id lose a ton of antifreeze, i just thought the system was "burping" as is was on the side where the overflow tube runs down onto the ground.

turns out the lower rad hose had backed off from the joint, and would only leak when cold..i geuss when it was hot things expanded or soemthing making it seal up

If you can turn, Youre not going fast enough.

Favorite caption:

first car to 200 mph in the 1/4 mile, no parachute, drum brakes all the way around..
..back when men were men.

Last edited by 69halfton; 04-06-2009 at 04:28 PM.
69halfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
mikeoj

Do yourself a favor,Buy your self one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mac-T...1%7C240%3A1318 .I have used mine countless times over the years.Checks cooling systems and caps.
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

it's not coming from the gasket at the rear of the pump is it? you know, the one between the pump and timing cover. I always check these when I replace the pump. sometimes the minimum wage guys who put the pumps together don't get the bolts tight.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #16
Blazer1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Do you have a catch can or recovery tank? If not I'll guess it is simply running out the overflow tube. Spring is usually when I lose the most as it is warmer so everything runs warmer so you need more room in the system for expansion.

I purchased a recovery tank from a board supplier. They used all GM parts including a washer fluid bottle so it looks stock and keeps me from panicing when I see a green puddle under my truck the first time I take it on the roads after all the salt is cleaned up.
This is most likely correct. It is going on the ground out the overflow tube. You can't fill a radiator all the way when there is no overflow tank.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

without a burp bottle (open system) it should be 2" below the neck when cold.

which X member is it leaking on? the onew under the engine ot the one under the radiator?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
soba_03

68c15, yes the front crossmember not rad support.

Additionally, you hit the nail on the head. It seems like it's comming from the back of the waterpump. It's so tight against the timming cover that I had to use inspection mirror. It doesn't seem to be leaking out the weep hole or the front seal. and definately comming from the back of the water pump. Obviously it's possible but I can't believe it..I'm so freakin P/O'd.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #19
70 Suburban
Rods

lol well look on the brite side... its not a freeze plug
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #20
old Chevy guy

Well you said you would rather do the water pump.......Enjoy. Still better than a freeze plug,just look at the bright side!!!!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #21
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Where the H*** is the Antifreeze coming from?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

This thread has been a ton of help.
When I replaced the timing set on my Plymouth, I installed a new water pump.
When I went to fill the cooling system, the coolant just poured out on the ground. I plugged the weep hole and retried it. It still poured out. I never even considered the back plate being loose.

I was so disgusted that the car has been sitting there for well over a year.
Tomorrow, weather permitting, I try again & see if it's coming out the back plate.

Even though it wasn't for me, thanks for all the input guys.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 04-08-2009 at 02:22 AM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
soba_03

Re: Where the H*** is the Antifreeze coming from?

El Jay, I hope that you get yours back together... Good luck and thanks to everyone... Tommrrow we tackle this problem...of course after working all night... Should be fun..lol