The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
rddaves54

Question radiator shrouds question

LMC Truck Parts Company shows two radiator shrouds one with AC and one without AC. I replaced my radiator and put in a four row. I think the old shroud will work. I was wondering if I am over looking something.

I put the radiator in and it seems to lean a little more than the three row but the fan seems to have clearance all around the inside of the shroud. I think I will have to cut one inch off the radiator hose not sure.

Has any one replaced a three row with four row and used the old shroud? I have a V8 350 72 fleetside.
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Zeke

Re: radiator shrouds question

I replaced my 3 row with a 4 row and the shroud wouldn't fit, mount holes were too far away. I started trimming the shroud but didn't have any cooling issues so I stopped. I'm out of town for 6 wks so I can't check exactly what the problem was.
I believe the only difference between AC/non-AC is the AC has an indent for the heater bypass hose on the radiator tank.

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent. George Carlin
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
rddaves54

Unhappy Re: radiator shrouds question

How did you get the radiator to fit into the top brackets so that the shroud would bolt to them? I put my radiator in today but when I tightened the upper radiator brackets down the shroud to bracket alignment was off about ½ inch or so.

Everything else seems to fit nicely, fan and shroud and all. I was wondering how to get the radiator to fit in the new rubber so the shroud and brackets align.

Did anyone have trouble with this and what did you do?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

LMC and others also sale upper radiator brackets for the larger 4 core radiator. Your originals are not big enough to properly fit over the radiator tanks (they also make larger rubbers uppers and lowers, as well as the larger lower brackets that bolt to the core support). Hope this helps you out good luck!
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
rddaves54

I have bought the larger brackets from LMC but my problem is that the radiator does not seem to be fitting deep enough into the rubber to make the shroud line up. I wonder how to compress bracket that is closer to the engine to make the bracket line up with shroud holes.

The bracket that is closer to the radiator support and bolts compress but the other end of bracket does not seem to compress the rubber to make it fit. Is this normal or have I don’t something.

The radiator seems to fit properly in the bottom.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Green Machine

4 row shroud is different than the 2-3 core one, 4 core has a shallower offset to allow for the wider top.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
rddaves54

I measure my new and old radiator and except for the width they seem to be the same. One difference is my old radiator support had only clips on the bottom the new one has clips and holes with bolts (I think). Which is better or does it make a difference? Will clips be enough or would a bolt be better without clips?

I am sending pictures to what is happening to the upper brackets that hold the radiator in. When the radiator is out the bracket is level but when radiator is in the front of the bracket is up as I show in the picture. How can I press the radiator into the new rubber in the brackets and not hurt or bend the brackets?
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
rddaves54

Here are the radiators together. Same size one is only wider.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
rddaves54

If I start the bolts in the shroud and then tighen down the front of the bracket into the radiator support will that work or would that pull the bolt through the raditor shroud.

I am going to attempt to put it in again today.

Last edited by rddaves54; 04-17-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Try using your old rubber pads in the new mounts this might help it sit correctly. I had to force my original mount to align up with the bolt holes; the rubber seems to be preventing it from leveling out. Have you tried to tighten it down with the radiator in? I don’t think I’d bolt the fan shroud on, if it has too much pressure it can deform it or tear out the holes in it.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote