The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

4-on-the-floor back to 3-on-the-tree

I have a 1967 GMC 910 (like a C10). It still has the three speed transmission but was converted to a Hurst floor shift (still only three forward gears). Is it hard to bring it back to a column shift? Does it require a whole lot of new parts?

Thanks
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 4-on-the-floor back to 3-on-the-tree

So it`s 3 on the floor,right?I would find the same truck and get the linkage from it.Your`s was most likely changed because of woen linkage.The linkage will vary between straight 6 & V8 due to the different mounting positions(trans sits rearward on a 6).I`m not sure about V6.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When you get all the linkage there is a great write up on adjustment in the FAQ's.I've found that more trucks were converted to floor shift due to lack of proper adjustment and worn bushings than anything else.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Legolas894

Smile Re: 4-on-the-floor back to 3-on-the-tree

Thanks for the replies. The guy that sold it to me said it was 4-on-the-floor but of course he was counting Reverse! The truck runs fine but once you hit about 45 MPH, it sounds like it wants to be shifted (no tach of course). Just worried that it's hard on the engine driving that fast and also I'd like it back to the way it was. The floor shift seems to get a little tangled in the emergency brake cable too which makes 1st gear a little challenging when under pressure at an intersection!

I'll check out the FAQ section.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Legolas894

Thanks for your reply. From the VIN, it looks like it came with a I-6 but it has a 283 V8 in it right now.

I've got the windshield washers, heater fan, turn signals, dashboard lights all working. Now it's on to the alternator and transmission.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Changing the shifter will not lower your rpms.These trucks were geared pretty low,If you're looking to have lower rpms you will need to change tire size,rear end gearing or add an OD transmission.Her's a link to help determine where you want to be.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Remember that the speedo will be off after a change so you will need to be aware of thet or adress it when you make changes.IIRC you probably have a 3:73 or 4:11 gear in the differential (if it's stock).You probably need to start by figuring out your rpms and gear ratio.Jack the truck up and put it on jack stands.Then mark a rear tire and the driveshaft.One rotation of the driveshaft will tell you approximately what gear ratio you have.Taller tires will not make the speedo read higher but will mobve the truck faster at a given rpm.
If you've never driven an older (Non OD ) vehicle before it's common for people to think the rpms are too high since they are usually 18-30 % lower with OD.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Legolas894

What a simple solution! I will definitely try marking the tire and drive shaft.
Speedometer cable was cut before I got it. I have a new one on order so I'll see what it reads when I get it installed.

The old owner also connected a toggle switch to turn on the reverse lights. Maybe it was hard to get a reverse switch for the floor-shift. The old reverse switch is still on the steering column!

Thanks again.