The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
BluTrukker
BOHICA

OD queston

I have a 3OTT w/OD in my 68. All the wiring seems to be correct, but I can't seem to get it working. I am about tired of messing with those stupid switches and governer. I heard someone say a while ago that you can just run a 12V wire to the big solenoid on the side and hook it to a switch. Switch on overdrive egages, switch off overdrive disengages. Has anyone done this? Is it really that simple? I don't really want to just try it, because if I burn that solenoid they are impossible to find. I don't really care if the kickdown switches work or not, I don't do a lot of passing on the highway.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
nicks05z71

Re: OD queston

I had the same problem when I was trying to get mine working. I did try and just run 12v power Via the stock wiring and did get it to work once for about 15 sec. then I blew the fuse. The problem was a Relay thats on the driver side fender. The stock relay is right below the hood and the fender gap, when the truck was outside and it rained water sat on the relay and got passed the seal, rusting eveything inside. There was no PN on the relay, whet to chevy dealership to ask if they had a parts manual, they dident think the OD came stock and couldnt tell me anything. Finaly I went to a local parts house with the old relay, looked in all the books they order out of and found one that looked close. The nexed day I had the relay mounted in the original position and just pluged it in. Thats it! Havent had any problems with it since.

Pics!

This is upsidedown just to give you the idea of the rust that was in it.

This is the new relay in the original position.
nicks05z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Nick, is there ANY way that you could come up with the part number of that relay you purchased?
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
nicks05z71

Sure could! still have the box. Give Me five.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
nicks05z71

Standard brand - HR117

When I was looking in the book for this I wanted somthing that looked close to original. Cost me $18. Probaly can get somthing that works cheaper. Now the black peice to the left, this came off the original. The prongs on the new relay were closer. Thats the bad thing about ordering out of a book verses looking at what your buying. Lucky me I found a relay I had that looked nothing like both of these, but it had the right black peice. Just a little screw driver or a pick to get the wires out of the original, and they snaped in the new one.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Nick, thanks a million!! That is what I've been looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks05z71 View Post

Standard brand - HR117

When I was looking in the book for this I wanted somthing that looked close to original. Cost me $18. Probaly can get somthing that works cheaper. Now the black peice to the left, this came off the original. The prongs on the new relay were closer. Thats the bad thing about ordering out of a book verses looking at what your buying. Lucky me I found a relay I had that looked nothing like both of these, but it had the right black peice. Just a little screw driver or a pick to get the wires out of the original, and they snaped in the new one.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

If you google Borg-Warner overdrive, there are many articles on doing just what you're talking about. I've seen the very write-up, but can't recall where. Let me know if you do not find it. I'll give it another try.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTrukker View Post
I have a 3OTT w/OD in my 68. All the wiring seems to be correct, but I can't seem to get it working. I am about tired of messing with those stupid switches and governer. I heard someone say a while ago that you can just run a 12V wire to the big solenoid on the side and hook it to a switch. Switch on overdrive egages, switch off overdrive disengages. Has anyone done this? Is it really that simple? I don't really want to just try it, because if I burn that solenoid they are impossible to find. I don't really care if the kickdown switches work or not, I don't do a lot of passing on the highway.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Thanks a bunch, I will have to try that. It will be a couple weeks before I get some free time to tear into the 68 again. I'll let you know what I come up with.