The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2002, 01:02 AM   #1
flyin99
creator of kong

Question To shim a starter or not.......!!!!!?????!!!!!

I recently built a small block for a friend of mine and installed it last night. I was finished wiring and hooking up everything and went to crank it over and SCRAPE!!!!!!!!!!!...the god awfullest sound of a starter hitting the teeth on a flexplate I have ever heard.......no biggie, right?.................I have shimmed this thing for 2 hours now.............with everything from .010 to .060 of shims and it only gets louder. I take the starter off my truck, which I know is quiet and it also does the same thing. What gives? Any ideas here?
flyin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:09 AM   #2
shadetree

Perhaps the wrong diameter flex plate? The method I use, to check starter pinion clearance, is (with battery dis-conected) engage pinion, and use a paper clip straightened to "feel" between gears. If clearance is OK, the clip will slide between the gears, with only slight drag.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:32 AM   #3
t korinek
Truckin' Krazy

The starter is probably too far away from the flywheel, maybe you have the wrong nose cone. In the past I have taken a file & milled off the the part that contacts the block in order to get it closer, but like shadetree says check the clearance with a paperclip, It's also a lot easier to do with the solenoid off.
Dakota Digital
Trim parts Carpets
Truck World seat covers
& Many others
Chevy Parts locator in Mesa AZ!
t korinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Starter shims

When I bought my '68, it had a new starter in it. It made the noise you were talking about though. It turns out that the starter gear was indeed too far away from the flywheel. It had all three shims installed that it came with. I used the paper clip method to measure mine to confirm it. When I questioned the previous owner, he thought that they had to be installed. I took them out and it no longer makes ajny noises out of the ordinary.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

For a quick check on clearance, you should be able to slide a 1/8" rod tween the OD of the flex plate, & the armature shaft(a lot of starters come with this 1/8" checker rod). It is not uncommon to find that you will need 3-4 shims under the outside corner only to tighten up the clearance on a chev. Good luck....AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote