The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
lukbrw

Looking tonight

Hey everyone, looking at a 71 C10 this evening. We've been looknig at two options, wait a while and save up more money to buy something nice. Or find a solid truck with a lot of Patina, yes I like the look.

Being in Wisconsin, we don't have a lot of Patina trucks. Just rust. I found this truck last year and the guy still has it. He's asking $575 for it. The top will come off....see if we can do that before buying to lower the price.

Straight six, 4 on floor. Rockers and corners were previously replaced and solid.

I currently have a 76, but have been around the previous generation for a while. What other places should I be looking at outside of the trailing arms. I've already seen trucks with nasty trailing arm repairs.
Attached Images

lukbrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Ram-Man

Re: Looking tonight

I really like the patina on that. Drop it and drive it. From what I have seen is rust above the rear coils on the frame, inside and outside around the cab roof edges and firewall around the heater box. From the pic it looks like a good buy there are alot of parts there.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
lukbrw

Forgot to metion plans......

The truck has been sitting for 2 years. So first would be a tune up, change all fluids, new battery. No big deal.

Then a drop would be the first option. Air bags will be in the future once some bonus's improve....HA. Gut just a static drop for this year.

I've seen a lot of patina trucks with just the rims painted. Not sure what color would look good with the blue. So open to sugestions.

Thanks for the notes on the rust, I'll be paying attention to the rear suspension and frame. There is a small hole in the floor.....I don't mind easy repairs.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
GBC10

Decent looking find for WI. let me know if you need any parts I might have a few extra, Im not far from you.
GBC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
lukbrw

Thanks...I'll let you konw if I'm looking for anything. Hopefully it won't need much...depends on where I want to take it.

I'm in GB all the time. Just looking forward to some warmer weather and the car show season to start.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Ram-Man

Whats the verdict? I really like the patina look of that. Whats up with the grille??
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

ditch the mid 80's Chevrolet truck grille, fire it up, throw a nice drop on it, and go!

also check the front and rear cab supports and make sure they are at least somewhat solid. trailing arms can be replaced. and like ram-man said, check the cab roof edges. get inside and pull back the rubber windshield moulding on the top corners. that can also be a nasty place for rust to show up.

make sure you tell us if you get her!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
drivethechevy

you may wanna take a peak under the cab and see if it has any cab supports left, seing as the rockers and corners have already been replaced
check the core suport underneath the battery tray if you havent already
while your underneath it looking at the rear suspension and frame check the bed floor braces to make sure they arnt about to crumble
with the hood open look for visible rust on the firewall and near the heater box/fan on the passenger side
from the picture deffinately looks like a nice project
good luck on the buy
nate

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
greygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
ditch the mid 80's Chevrolet truck grille, fire it up, throw a nice drop on it, and go!

also check the front and rear cab supports and make sure they are at least somewhat solid. trailing arms can be replaced. and like ram-man said, check the cab roof edges. get inside and pull back the rubber windshield moulding on the top corners. that can also be a nasty place for rust to show up.

make sure you tell us if you get her!
I was wondering where that grill came from lol
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
lukbrw

The verdict is a no. The interesting thing was there was a different door on the drivers side, Dark blue. I would have loved dealing with just a patina truck if it all matched. But it would have been more work to get that door to match. Gas cap was off, so I'm sure there is a years worth of rust and water. There was rust on the inside of the cab around the top. Also, the passenger rocker needed to be replace.

But if that drivers door would have matched, I could have dealt with the other details. Engine was clean. Rebuilt, drain the tank and I'm sure it woud run. The firewall was spotless. YES not a single rust spot. That was really clean. Frame and trailing arms looked good.

If I wanted a project to rip apart and replace the body, this would be a great start. But unfortunately I don't have the room right now to devote to that detail. Anyone looking for a great project in our area...let me know and I will get you the contact info.

In the meantime, my search continues. My folks are in Florida for a couple more weeks. So, I may still have luck there.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
GBC10

Hey lukbrw I would like to take a look at that truck and see
if there is any thing I need our board members need. Send info
to njw4601@yahoo.com, Thanks.
GBC10 is offline   Reply With Quote