The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2002, 06:42 AM   #1
Tuffold72

LMC Exhaust

I was checking out the complete exhaust set-up LMC sells. Anyone tried one of these? Do they fit worth a spit or are the going to be a universal mess. If it matters my truck is a 4x4
Tuffold72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

I talked to MRein about his. He liked it, went on good. If they are still buying from the same place it is manufactured by HeartThrob Industries of Litchfield Minnesota. They make a full range of systems including stainless.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I remember some one on here talking real good about his. I have been thinking about the same, but being mine has leaf springs, I wonder if I need the 4X4 kit...but does the 4X4 kit make all kinds of bends around the X-fer case of is it just the rear area....
I know LMC can't answer my Q's, so I guess I am stuck just buying the kit one of these days and finding out.
You sure can't go wrong with the price. (how often can you say that about LMC?)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:58 PM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Longhornmail,

We have been using the LMC duals for a long time and they work well for us. We have (8) trucks with the LMC exhaust system on them, including two and four wheel drive. We don't have a truck with two wheel drive and leaf springs. I believe that the four wheel drive kit will work on your two wheel drive/leaf spring setup if you have bottom dump exhaust manifolds. I think that your truck does not have the heavy crossmember in the middle where the trailing arms hook up on the coil spring rears. On the four wheel drive the exhaust pipes come straight down and curve rearward and the pipes are straight all the way back to the mufflers. From the mufflers back, the tailpipes exit out the side in the stock positions.

If your frame has the heavy cross member like the trailing arm setup, then I am not sure what to do.

We have the suburban frame (4 wheel drive) with the exhaust system on it and if it would help, I can post a pic.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
mooneyes

i had the same exhaust (heartthrob) on my last 72..but it came from JC Whitney..i think its a little cheaper than LMC ..fit great..nice manderal bends..but remember if you have a short bed you have to cut the front pipes
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:09 PM   #6
nu2-72

I have the same exhaust on my truck. Used the full oval mufflers and not the glass pack type. I have a 4x4 with 350 and leaves. Went fairly well. Only odd thing was the length of pipes. One side was 2 inches longer. Cut it off and the pipes line up nicely. Dump behind the wheels.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 01:29 AM   #7
Longhorn Man

JimKshortstep4x4, thanks, you just told me everything I needed to know.
mine would be a bit of a custom job even with the kit since I would be hooking it to a caddy motor, plus, I'd need to extend it 6 inches since it is a Longhorn...but I would still be way ahead $ wise if I did it this way.
I was just pricing cheap mufflers and pipe to get it going with untill $$ is there for a good set of pipes, and I'll spend well over 50 bucks just for 1/4 system.
Bummer huh?
Old 12-25-2002, 07:12 AM   #8
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Longhormail,

When you get your Caddy powered truck on the road, let us know how it goes.

Jim
Old 12-25-2002, 06:41 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

Oh I will man...there are quite a feww ppl here watching with interest.
I just got quite a bit of $$ for X-mas, so now all I need is a chance to get out there...preferably when it is not all frozen like now, but if that's what I have to do...then that's what I'll be doing then.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:50 AM   #10
mrein3

Thumbs up

da-burb summed up my experiences with the LMC exhaust kit pretty well. As JimKshortstep4x4 points out there are no funky bends around the transfer case on a 4x4. The exhaust on the rhs goes straight back above the transfer case. There isn't much clearance there but it works.

All the pieces in the LMC kit fit as advertised. The only parts run I had to make was to buy a pair of universal exhaust hangers from NAPA for the tail pipes. I used one of the hangers that came with the kit for the rhs exhaust pipe. It was mounted directly across from the factory riveted on hanger on the lhs. If you have a factory dual set-up you probably wouldn't have to use that piece.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:32 AM   #11
28buick

Do these LMC systems fit a 72 Blazer with rams horn manifolds which exit straight down. There is no sweep at the exit of the manifolds which I have seen on some trucks. The hooker systems don't fit these manifolds.
28buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:46 AM   #12
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

28buick,

The kits for the 4x4's will fit the Blazers. Since the Blazers are shorter than the long boxes, you will have to do some minor
trimming as I recall, (we put a set on my son's Blazer).

We don't use the supplied light duty clamps for the joints. We replace them with the heavier duty clamps because the pipes are tough to squeeze down with the lighter clamps. For hangers we use the supplied clamps.

A nice thing about the LMC set is the pipes are 2 1/4" diameter.

Jim